News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

"I have always been in awe of the popularity of the Himalayas Putting Course in St. Andrews and wanted to be involved in providing something similar for the people of Ireland to allow them to experience golf in a fun and family-focused setting," Harrington said of the enormous green, which is six times the size of the average green at most clubs.
https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2021/1028/1256539-harrington-marlay-park/

https://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/padraig-harrington-designs-massive-public-putting-green-in-marlay-park-40993713.html

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVlWc5YtbrK/
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 07:09:35 PM by Dónal Ó Ceallaigh »

Mike Sweeney

Thanks for posting, and I hope to get back soon with my son.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Jeff Schley

Donal thanks for this. Might communities or local municipal parks departments create these types of facilities more often today?  Less money, water, maintenance than building a course and could still be attractive for people of all ages.

One thing, which I'm not sure how to get around, even today. My uncle has been in a wheelchair since he was very young due to polio and his 2 sons were never athletes, but they did want to go play golf once. This is 30 years ago, but I recall they went to a local course and was going to let them go putt and my uncle couldn't go on or near the practice putting green to help his sons as his wheelchair would damage the green. He got close and another golfer I think told him to the affect, "your wheels are damaging the grass." They soon left and unfortunately his sons don't play golf today.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Ally Mcintosh

I’m surprised this has made so many headlines. It will be a welcome addition to Marley Park which already has a cute little Par-3 course and I trust whoever is actually designing / shaping it will build some interest in to it.

In years gone by, public park putting greens were quite a regular thing. I had tons of fun on a couple of them in my youth.

I have stalled at the moment in my effort to build a community Himalayas at Strandhill as there is a dispute going on over boundary lines. I really hope we get there because the land is accessible from the main sea strand beside the ice cream parlour - would be an excellent addition to the town for all the summer tourists.

Kevin_Reilly

There were a few public putting greens in San Francisco when I grew up there.  One at Stern Grove, in the SW corner of the city, and one in the Marina, at the NW end of Moscone park.  The Marina green also had some cages for hitting shots.

Both fell victim to different priorities of the city's Recreation and Park department, and are long NLE.  Both in great condition still in the 80's, but declined and disappeared in the 90's.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Thomas Dai

In years gone by, public park putting greens were quite a regular thing. I had tons of fun on a couple of them in my youth.
I have stalled at the moment in my effort to build a community Himalayas at Strandhill as there is a dispute going on over boundary lines. I really hope we get there because the land is accessible from the main sea strand beside the ice cream parlour - would be an excellent addition to the town for all the summer tourists.
+1
Public putting greens (and bowling greens) used to features of almost every park in decades gone by. No more alas. Bring them back.
Good luck with the Strandhill idea. Sounds like a pretty ideal location.
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back