News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Naples,FL Golf only private clubs
« on: November 20, 2003, 08:56:21 AM »
Here they are:
Hole in the Wall
Naples National (Hurdzan)
Olde Florida (Rees Jones)
Calusa Pines (Hurdzan)
Hideout (Moran)(www.kellyblakemoran.com/hideout.html)
Old Collier (T. Fazio)   (www.theoldcolliergc.com)
Royal Poinciana
GC of the Everglades(Rees Jones) (www.hometown.aol.com/gcegolf)
Kinsale(under development)
Curious fellow that I am, I'm interested in learning more about these clubs,particularly Hole in the Wall. Who is the architect there? Is it a men only club? I have an opportunity to play Everglades. Anyone play there?
Thanks.
Steve
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Kelly_Blake_Moran

Re:Naples,FL Golf only private clubs
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2003, 09:04:22 AM »
I believe Dick Wilson was involved in Holei n the Wall.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2003, 09:45:43 AM »
Hole-in-the-Wall is also one of the newly-disappeared-but-former-Golf-Odyssey-mailing-about-his-worldly-golf-travels Bob McCoy's home clubs.

I like the name.  Up there with This-L-Du GC.

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2003, 02:19:08 PM »
Kelly, Acer: Dick Wilson(with Joe Lee, someone had to get the work done when Mr. Wilson was imbibing) did design Hole in the Wall.  Built in the late fifties "The Hole" was one of Naples first private courses.  The front nine is a counterclockwise loop with the back nine routed basically clockwise internal to the front nine.  

Considerable work was undertaken several years ago to raise fairways and improve drainage.  A lake was added between #14 and #15 previous to that.  

Hole in the Wall is a pure Golf club a small and lovely club house.  

And no it is not Men Only.  In Fact at one time widows controlled considerable power as they outlived their member husbands.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 02:28:24 PM by Cos »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2003, 08:42:24 PM »
Cos: Thanks for the info. I understand that there is now about a 5 year waiting list for the Hole. Any info on the courses mentioned?
Steve
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 08:42:56 PM by acer2x »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

JNC Lyon

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2003, 08:51:32 PM »
I have only played two private courses in Naples. They are Twin Eagles and Fiddler's Creek. Fiddler's was actually not too bad for a new design. Its strength rests in variety and unique charachter. It is unlike any course I have ever played. Twin Eagles is too contrived for any great praise, although Nicklaus could have done a lot worse. The best public course I've seen in Naples is either The Beach Hotel or Valencia. Neither one is built in a housing development. I know the Royal Poinciana courses were built by David Wallace, and they were recently modified by Arthur Hills. It appears to be a facility dedicated to members only with no interior housing.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 08:55:26 PM by JNC_Lyon »
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

lesueur

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2003, 05:49:30 AM »
Ah memories...
Royal Poincianna was one of the first courses I worked on as a ditch digger when Hills did the renovation - although I never actually saw him. His side-kick Mike(?) Dasher did all the visits.
There are a few pis on my website - not much architectural interest in them but I think I could scare up a few more of the construction if you're interested Steve.

http://www.golfdesignscotland.com/index.asp?pid=129

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back