News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Cuscowilla
« on: November 03, 2003, 10:07:25 PM »
Wow, what a great experience it was to play Cuscowilla for three days.  Crenshaw & Coore's Talking Stick North in Scottsdale was a lesson in how to deal with a dead flat site.  Their Cuscowilla is a lesson in how to build a minimalistic course on a beautiful, rolling site with some exciting forced carries (maybe a bit lengthy for many players!  ::)) but great bunkering, excellent greens.

We played the middle tees at 6400 yds par 70, all I could handle!  The forced carries would have been well over 220 yards from the back tees.

The mix of holes is dramatic - two very strategic short par 4's (#5 and #12), a backbreaking par 5 (620 yd #14, the final 200 yards straight uphill and blind), six big par 4's (#6, #9, #10, #13, #15, #18, the last hole on each nine played as par 5's for a mixed tees par 72 course).  The par 3's have great variety: #11 a short pitch over an inlet of Lake Oconee, #8 - 236 yards downhill that plays much shorter and plays sharply left to right.

The greens complexes throughout are large, quite varied (some bunkered tightly, some no bunkers at all), fast, with tight and firm approaches so that a great variety of short game shots can be played.  As an example, on#4, a mid length cape hole, I was about 40 yards short left after a hooked tee shot.  I was above the green which has a pronounced knob in the center of the green with the pin cut behind it.  The fairway approach was so firm and cut so tightly that I dithered about how to hit this shot and finally putted!  The ball broke down the slope, skirted the knob, and finished 8' right of the pin.  It is so much fun to play shots like this and you don't have many such opportunities to play shots like these on most American courses.

The golf package there is a super bargain - $175 pp includes shared room in very nice 3-BR golf villas, breakfast, golf and caddy!  The caddies were a mixed lot but a couple over three days were very good.

All in all I rate Cuscowilla a first class experience.  There has been some discussion about a Southeast informal GCA event, and Cuscowilla would be a great host. Mike Young is building a new course in Madison GA, close by, which should be interesting.  The other courses in the area, all at Reynolds Plantation, looked a lot more manufactured than Cuscowilla, which lays over that great terrain like a blanket, nothing built up and nothing that looks artificial in the slightest.

Tom Doak has designed a new course next door to Cuscowilla, The Harmony Club, which will be an extremely private club laid out on lake front terrain similar to Cuscowilla.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 10:09:10 PM by Bill_McBride »

Michael Whitaker

Re:Cuscowilla
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2003, 10:21:43 PM »
Bill - I was at Cuscowilla this past weekend as well. We played Saturday and Sunday. And you are correct, this would be a great venue for a GCA event... official or unoffical.

The reservation manager informed me that they will be offering the $175 per day package for $99 beginning Nov 15! Great price if you can catch good weather. How about a "Winter Meeting at Cuscowilla."
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2003, 10:29:26 PM »
Michael, sorry I didn't see you.  We (three couples) played Thursday, Friday and Saturday.  There were a pack of Golfweek raters there on Saturday, had a chance to visit with GCA's own John D. Bernhardt.  We had time for a post-round drink at the Bar & Grill out on Hwy 441, good spot.

At those $99 rates you could put up with a bit of coolish fall weather.  The caddies told me wind is not much of a problem at Cuscowilla.  How'd you like those greens?  Let's think about next fall for an outing.

McCloskey

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2003, 10:39:27 PM »
Bill
I'm looking forward to playing Cuscowilla, hopefully yet this fall.  The package looks pretty inviting.
I was also planning on playing Great Waters.   When you referred to Reynolds courses as "built up", were you referring to GW as well as the others.   I had always heard it was "not" a contrived course, but well routed with the existing terrain, with a lot of water frontage.   Is your impression different from what I heard?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2003, 10:44:06 PM »
I plead guilty to only seeing Oconee (Rees Jones); just passing along impressions of the other courses gained from others who have played there.  

The bar down by the lake in back of the Ritz-Carlton, on the other hand, is an excellent place to while away a couple of hours!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 10:44:48 PM by Bill_McBride »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2003, 09:43:15 AM »
Bill:  Sorry I missed you down there.  My clients had a pretty full day and a half for me, as we were trying to finalize a change in the routing plan and meet with the environmental engineers.

I wish I'd had time to play Cuscowilla again.  Rusty Mercer, the superintendent, is one of Bill Coore's all-time favorite guys, and the course looked like it was in perfect shape when I drove out on Thursday morning.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2003, 09:48:19 AM »
Bill - I can't believe we didn't see each other at some point. I did run into some of Golfweek's Professional Vacationers (er, Raters), but that should be the subject of another thread.

I still can't get over the simple genius of the design at Cuscowilla. There is plenty of room for every level of golfer with increasing difficulty as you move closer to the greens. And, you are correct about the variety of options that are provided for you to play the holes. Variety from the tee with angle options, and variety as you approach the greens with ground game options. It is definitely a special course from 150-yards-and-in. Every hole is unique, memorable, classically simple, and very playable... until you get on those greens! If you don't have a soft touch it can be a long day.

McCloskey - Great Waters is a wonderful course and you will enjoy it. There are some stunning holes coming in on the water. It is a "kinder, softer" Nicklaus course and a very enjoyable... don't miss it... or the Ritz's bar on the lake!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2003, 09:51:41 AM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

RDecker

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2003, 09:51:03 AM »
Talked to a contractor who is working at C&C's Sandwich course in Mass. and also had worked at Friar's Head.  He said that he didn't fully appreciate how great Coore and Crenshaw were until he saw what they could do at a less than spectacular site.  Friar's had tons of potential but Sandwich isn't particularly exciting as a piece of land and he said the 10 or so holes that are completed are very interesting.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2003, 09:57:31 AM »
Not to threadjack, but I thought that most of the work at Old Sandwich was done, just needs to grow in....or did you mean that 10 holes are already grassed in?

JohnV

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2003, 10:32:53 AM »
I believe that Cuscowilla is the finest modern parkland course I've seen.  The strategies and subtelties are wonderful on every hole.  The 5th is one of the best short par 4s anywhere, although #12 was close.  Perhaps when I'm on my way to the US Mid-Am next year I can sneak in a round or two.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2003, 11:07:05 AM »
I know John Bernhardt was enjoying himself at Cuscowilla. When I last saw him he was off to play his fourth nine holes of the day!

Paul Richards

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2003, 04:17:24 PM »
Cuscowilla is a great example of the magic of Coore/Crenshaw.  Minimalism at its best!
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

MBL

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2003, 05:02:04 PM »
Is it more convenient to fly into Atlanta or Savannah?

Jim Franklin

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2003, 05:23:37 PM »
Augusta, GA is about 70 miles from Eatonton.
Mr Hurricane

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2003, 05:27:29 PM »
Cuscowilla is a long way from Savannah, only an hour plus from Atlanta Airport.  Stay on 285 to bypass downtown, then east on 20.  A very easy drive.

BCrosby

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2003, 05:48:28 PM »
Bill -

Sorry I missed you on your swing through north Georgia.

Agree about Cuscowilla. It sets the standard for new courses in the area. It is a delight to have it so near.

As Brad noted, our friend Mike Young is doing some very good things just down the road. Four holes are nearly finished and they are terrific. He's working with a great piece of land. It should be something special.

Bob
« Last Edit: November 04, 2003, 05:48:50 PM by BCrosby »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2003, 10:52:54 PM »
Bob, my round at Athens failed to materialize due to a mini-crisis at work.  I am planning to make another Georgia trip next fall and hope to do Athens, Cuscowilla, and a round at Mike's new course in Madison.  Georgia in late Oct/early Nov is pretty special, our weather was fabulous and the ground was very firm.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2003, 10:20:43 AM »
Bill, It was a pleasure to see you, the better half and your friends. I only wish we had more time to visit or ro play together. Yes one compliment to any course is having to be drug off of it. I played, walked or toured Cuscowilla almost every free daylight minute that was accounted for by an activity. Much like Cypress, TOC, Dornoch or Pacific Dunes, Cuscowilla gives you a sense of being somewhere very special. You feel right there, whether playing or merely walking the property. It is the finest modern parkland course I have played. It is what I envisioned for my project which is on hold. I hope Tom is able to get the same result from the Harmony Club. If so then this becomes a must place to visit for all of us.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2003, 11:48:17 AM »
I just played Cuscowilla last week and thought it was great. I loved the short #5 and thought the entire course was fantastic. My only problem with my day there was I played as a single and was let through by one group on the third hole and as I waited for the green to clear on #5, one of the guys in the group that let me through yells at me to "go ahead and hit, they are on the green" in a very sarcastic manner. I tell him that I'm waiting for the green to clear so I don't hurt anyone and he starts bitching how he can't believe he let me through. Naturally, I pull my drive a little left, but was pin high and not in the high stuff. But I was pissed this guy was such a twit. Thankfully, I got up and down for birdie and the groups ahead let me through without incident.

All in all I thought the green complexes were brilliant. Lots of interesting angles to play and the chipping areas were great. No doubt Crenshaw's soft touch is needed to play there.
Mr Hurricane

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back