News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Healy

Herbert Fowler Book Review
« on: April 27, 2021, 08:47:45 AM »
“A Matter of Course, The Life of William Herbert Fowler, 1856 -1941”
Derek Markham

Review of “A Matter of Course”, William L. Healy, MD

In “A Matter of Course”, Derek Markham presents a comprehensive and detailed story of the life of William Herbert Fowler, Golf Course Architect.  One of the hypotheses of the book, which Markham goes to great lengths to demonstrate, is that Herbert Fowler’s high quality and innovative golf course designs have not been accorded sufficient celebrity and notoriety.  In the Afterword of the book, Frank Pont, golf course architect wrote, “Herbert Fowler must surely rank as one of the most under-appreciated of golf architects.”

William Herbert Fowler led an interesting life, which included personal and professional interests in banking, politics, cattle breeding, hunting, shooting, fishing, horticulture, cricket, billiards, and golf.  Herbert Fowler was an activist who contributed his substantial intellect and energy to serve as a volunteer committee man in cricket, government, billiards, and golf.  In the world of golf, Mr. Fowler was an elite player, a thoughtful student of the game, a member of the Green Committee at the Royal and Ancient Golf Club at St. Andrews, and a golf course architect.

Markham, and his publishing partner Philip Truett, tell the story of Fowler using a chronologic timeline, and they provide thematic sidebars, which enhance the tale.  The writing is balanced and erudite, and the authors back up their prose with quotes, drawings, tables, and references.  Sufficient images are used to promote the reader’s interest.
The authors clearly admire Mr. Fowler, but their story is an objective and transparent tale, which includes favorable and unfavorable characteristics of the man.  Herbert Fowler was a bright, outspoken fellow who did not shy away from controversy, and Mr. Markham presents all sides of this complex gentleman with great clarity. 

In examining Herbert Fowler’s career, it is interesting to note that when Herbert Fowler entered the family banking business, he was prepared for the position, and his success was assumed.  However, as we learned, Fowler did not succeed in banking, and at the end of his life he was bankrupt.  In sharp contrast, Fowler was not prepared to succeed in golf.  He picked up golf at age 35 as an aging cricketer.  He had no formal training in the golf business, and he was given his first commission as a golf course architect by his brother in law, to whom Fowler owed money.  However, Herbert Fowler found great success in playing the game and in designing golf courses.  From the time Fowler first rode a horse around the Walton Heath property to consider routings and golf holes, he demonstrated a natural appreciation of land and golf course design, which served him well for the rest of his career.

Herbert Fowler was an early “minimalist” golf architect, who let the land determine the routing and the design of the golf holes.  A short list of distinctive golf courses designed or redesigned by Herbert Fowler in the UK includes: Walton Health, Beau Desert, The Berkshire, Cruden Bay, and Royal North Devon.  In the United States, Fowler is best known for Los Angeles Country Club, Eastward Ho!, and renovating the eighteenth hole at Pebble Beach Golf Links from a mundane par 4 to an iconic par 5 finishing hole on the Pacific Ocean.

I enjoyed “A Matter of Course”.  The book is stuffed with interesting information about the life and times of William Herbert Fowler, and it is fun to read.  Having played nine Fowler golf courses, Derek Markham has stimulated me to play more Fowler courses.

Thomas Dai

Re: Herbert Fowler Book Review
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 08:59:32 AM »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 11:07:51 AM »
I've played 14 of his courses and can't wait to receive my book. Fowler is one of my favorite architects. His routings were all unique and genius. He used the land as well as anyone. Bull Bay is on hilly ground with rock outcroppings that are used to define some of the holes, while Walton Heath is in flatish land that weaves through the heather with wonderful greens. The course I have not played and will have to rectify is Eastward Ho! Having been a member at both Saunton and RND I have loved playing those three courses.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 12:02:18 PM »
Only from what I've read, Fowler seems to me the least 'self-conscious' of the great old architects. Maybe it was in part due to how he first entered the profession and/or his past history (and successes & failures) both personal and professional -- but when I look at his many wonderful courses it feels like he was all about 'building courses' rather than being (or being seen to be) 'an expert in golf course architecture'.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 01:05:01 PM »
My copy of the book was waiting for me when I returned from my road trip last week.

I've not had time to read it cover to cover yet, but the book is very impressive.  It might be the best biography of an architect I have seen.  There is a great variety of illustrations [drawings, correspondence, not just pictures of golf courses].  Highly recommended for anyone interested in golf design.

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 05:04:57 PM »
Also, what Bill didn't mention was that there are a fair number of quotes in the book from some well-kent faces on golfclubatlas. A very impressive and very weighty book. It certainly makes me want to see more of his work.

Niall

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 04:23:47 PM »
 I have spent a couple of hours with the book. If you have any interest in Fowler, this book is for you. It is well worth the time to read it and the money to purchase it.
Well done!!
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back