News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Stewart Abramson

Re: Universally Acclaimed Holes
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2021, 09:34:39 AM »
... I would guess 80% or higher of people I know have never heard of Cypress Point or Pine Valley. Its not a slight on them or fair to label them uneducated but rather a function of what people are exposed to.

Perhaps the question should be asked differently: What holes/courses, that are well known by the golfing community at large, would you consider to be great?

+1  I think  it's more than 80% even among avid golfers. I was so excited after I played Pine Valley. The following week when I went to my club and wanted to discuss my round, only a few knew of it. What made it more amazing to me was that some of them read the "best of" lists in the golf mags.

If the question is limited to holes well known to the golfing community at large, we will have an extremely small universe, limited to a few holes at Augusta, Pebble Beach, TOC,  and holes like #17 at TPC, #18 at Bay Hill and perhaps a handful that are widely known like the postage stamp. Most golfers, even avid golfers, only know holes that they see on Sunday on TV.

It would be an interesting exercise to ask people one gets paired up with what well known holes they think are great. My guess is that Augusta #12, Pebble #7 and TPC #17 would be named most frequently. As discussed above, seems to be par 3's. Maybe the Road Hole would be the most cited par 4, but I'm not sure a lot of golfers think it's great.

Kalen Braley

Re: Universally Acclaimed Holes
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2021, 11:24:41 AM »

It would be an interesting exercise to ask people one gets paired up with what well known holes they think are great. My guess is that Augusta #12, Pebble #7 and TPC #17 would be named most frequently. As discussed above, seems to be par 3's. Maybe the Road Hole would be the most cited par 4, but I'm not sure a lot of golfers think it's great.

Stewart agreed, and you may even find a few on this site who aren't so sure the Road Hole is "great" either, but that may need its own "frank commentary" thread.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back