News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JohnVDB

Re: First "excellent" golf course you played
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2021, 12:36:38 PM »
My dad worked with a guy who was a member at Pasatiempo back I. The late 60s and early 70s.  We would go over there a couple of times a year to play.  I remember dad letting me drive back home to San Jose one day and I got pulled over by the CHP and got a speeding ticket on highway 17.

Next would have been playing Torrey Pines a lot while I was going to UCSD from 70-73.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2021, 01:49:21 PM »
Ohio State's Scarlet course in 1971.

Muirfield Village, Scioto, The Golf Club, and Inverness from 1977-1981.

Andy Shulman

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2021, 03:59:31 PM »
Like Ira, Bedford Springs was the one for me, as a teenager back in the course's original heyday back in the early 1970s.  I hadn't played there in 30+ years until the course was renovated and reopened in 2007.  It's been cool to play it several times since and appreciate some of its architectural quirks.

Doug Bolls

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2021, 12:21:13 AM »
I started playing late in life and played a few publics in the Los Angeles area before I visited my in-laws in Hawaii and played the Oahu North Shore Turtle Bay Hilton - beautiful resort right on the beach with interesting holes.  Also played Kahuku GC right next door - far more plebeian but just as much fun.

jim_lewis

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2021, 11:25:20 AM »
I never played anywhere other than my small town nine hole course until my senior year in 1959 when my friend's dad took us to play the Dunes at Myrtle Beach. At the time it was one of only two courses at Myrtle Beach. It was a well regarded (and still is) RTJ, Sr. course with a famous par five 13th hole. My only memory of the day was holing a 5 iron on a par four hole, for a PAR. I went back several years ago, and the pro asked me if I had ever played the course before. I said "Sure, about 50 years ago."
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back