News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: What's the best 3 hole stretch at Pac Dunes?
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2021, 12:03:04 AM »
2-3-4

Probably my second choice, but I prefer 16,17,18

IMO 17 is the best par 3 on the course. It is epic. 16 is the best par 4 on the course. It is sublime. And, 18 is only rivaled by 3 for best par 5 on the course. If you love a little blindness in your golf, then 18 wins.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 12:12:34 AM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

JESII

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2021, 08:58:02 AM »
Pretty strong testament to the golf course. I haven't been there but cannot imagine there are more than a few courses in the world that this question could elicit as varied a response.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2021, 11:40:58 AM »
My vote would be for 15,16,17 over 16,17,18.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

David_Elvins

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2021, 04:28:50 PM »
Pretty strong testament to the golf course. I haven't been there but cannot imagine there are more than a few courses in the world that this question could elicit as varied a response.

Jim,

I am interested that a few have had this interpretation as when I started the thread it was because I was thinking the course lacked a stretch of knock-out holes such as 6-8 at Pebble or 2-7 at Royal Melbourne West.

For example, 16-18 is a cool stretch of holes but if that's the best stretch, there must be a few hundred courses in the world with a better 3 hole stretch, and I
can think of a handful of courses off the top of my head that have multiple stretches as good as that.

Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2021, 04:41:25 PM »

Jim,

I am interested that a few have had this interpretation as when I started the thread it was because I was thinking the course lacked a stretch of knock-out holes such as 6-8 at Pebble or 2-7 at Royal Melbourne West.

For example, 16-18 is a cool stretch of holes but if that's the best stretch, there must be a few hundred courses in the world with a better 3 hole stretch, and I
can think of a handful of courses off the top of my head that have multiple stretches as good as that.

David,

I interpreted your OP the same way you intended. And although Pac Dunes is not at the top of my personal list, the answers demonstrate how many strong holes there are on the course and how varied is the routing. I am a one play guy who was not overwhelmed but perhaps that is because we had just played CPC and Pasatiempo and because my expectations for PD were so high. As time has passed a bit, the more eager I am to return to Bandon. Alas 2021 was booked even though I called months ago.

Ira
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 05:12:42 PM by Ira Fishman »

Daryl David

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2021, 08:49:12 PM »
Hard for me to imagine any list that doesn’t have #8 in it. It’s just too good to not be in the mix. 6-7-8,  7-8-9. I could go either way.

Roman Schwarz

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2021, 09:05:45 PM »
Like cans of beer while watching a poor football team, it's better to keep losing count and assume it's the 1st again.  Give me 6-13.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2021, 09:48:56 PM »

Jim,

For example, 16-18 is a cool stretch of holes but if that's the best stretch, there must be a few hundred courses in the world with a better 3 hole stretch ...

Really? 7 at Pebble doesn't hold a candle to 17 at Pacific Dunes. 8 at Pebble allows you to hit over the ocean after playing short of it. I would rather choose to hit as close to the green as possible at 16 at PD, or have a multitude other places to try to hit to, instead of having 1/3 of the hole and relevant options taken away by intervening ocean. I really don't get why people elevate golf holes excessively because they have scenic views. My view from my commute to work looks like this:

https://robertwindel.photoshelter.com/image/I0000d4LFJ1ZBEQc

You don't have to pay golf fees to see scenery!

As for the 6th at Pebble. What's the main attraction? Possible eagle or birdie? Blind shot? Perhaps some people prefer real par 5s. ;) After all, PD has the blind shot. Plus PD has sand dune terrain. I.e., real golf! ;)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 09:54:33 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2021, 03:31:07 PM »
David,

Not an easy question but I would probably say 6-8.
Tim Weiman

Tom_Doak

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2021, 07:07:28 PM »

The whole idea of the routing at Pacific Dunes was to break up the ocean frontage into three distinct pieces, instead of having all those holes together in one stretch.  So Pacific doesn't have the 6-10 stretch that Pebble does, but it doesn't have the 11-15 stretch, either.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back