News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Finn

Re: U.S. public’s you’d want to play every day?
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2021, 10:21:22 AM »
Bethpage Rankings:

1. Red
2. Black
3. Green/Yellow
4. Back putting green
5. Front putting green
6. Putting green closest to Yellow
7. Driving over to play Eisenhower
8. The Driving Range
9. Blue
As someone who logged hundreds of rounds at Bethpage (from age 12 to 28), I could not agree with this more.  The Blue is the worst, by a wide margin.  I can pick out a handful of holes on the blue that I enjoy playing, but between playing the same par 3 on repeat and the atrociously jammed in 9th and 18th, I was always disappointed when we ended up on the Blue.  When I am back visiting friends and family, I will gladly play any of the other 4, but not Blue.

If I had to choose a Bethpage course to play every day, it would be a close call between Red and Green for me.  The Red is generally superior, but I love the Green.  I'm a life-long fan of the Black, but would not want to play it every day. 

Elsewhere, I would gladly play Rustic Canyon or Wild Horse daily. 

Mid Pines, Pine Needles, and Southern Pines as well.  Planning to literally do so, in the not too distant future.
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

DFarron

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2021, 09:18:30 PM »
Corica Park.....what every muni facility in the US should be like....firm and fast, great variety and really good food and beverage in a modest setting.

Red Hawk Run-An under appreciated course owned by the Ohio State University near Wooster.
Great design, rolling land but never has been taken care of.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2021, 10:19:11 PM »
Allentown Municiple and Bethlehem GC. Years ago I used to play Allentown all the time. 

Sean_A

« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2021, 04:37:13 AM »
Eliminating pricey resort courses, I'd say:
Belvedere
Bethpage Black (from the appropriate tees)
Rustic Canyon (#1 choice)
U of M (marginally a public course)
And a bit of a sleeper: Roseland Golf and Curling in Windsor, Ontario.

I like UM and Belvedere, but they would be bank busting options at their prices. Lucky they are closed for so much of the year.

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 04:42:19 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jeff Schley

Re: U.S. public’s you’d want to play every day? New
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2021, 02:10:37 PM »
Many people do play a public everyday believe it or not. Are very happy to do so and no animals are harmed in the process.

Will be interested to see what happens in DC with the NLT looking after our nations capital public golf. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 07:59:42 PM by Jeff Schley »
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back