News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Re: Prayers for RJ (Dick) Daley aka bendelow2
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2021, 10:52:19 AM »
I nominate Dick for honorary captaincy of the ROW team at this year's Buda!

Thanks for the update.  In our round at Erin Hills so many years ago, I stumbled across a small slithering snake as Dick and I walked off the first tee.  I accused him of using the old Trevino trick but asked that he use a rubber snake next time.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2021, 11:33:49 AM »
Looking forward to seeing you again...whether on or off the links!!!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2021, 02:29:25 PM »

Any updates on how Dick is doing?

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2021, 03:13:28 PM »

Any updates on how Dick is doing?

He’s home! Hopefully, he’ll chime in sometime soon and give us all an update.
❤️
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2021, 03:43:54 PM »
I've seen him arguing on Facebook, so he must be doing better.  I do worry he is just going to "angry up" his blood.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2021, 05:03:02 PM »

That is great news!!

May he argue on facebook for a long time to come.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2021, 06:40:52 PM »
I've seen him arguing on Facebook, so he must be doing better.  I do worry he is just going to "angry up" his blood.

A Satchel Paige reference on golfclubatlas! Bravo, Keff!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

PCCraig

« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2021, 06:55:38 PM »
Glad to hear you're feeling better, Dick!
H.P.S.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2021, 09:57:15 PM »

That is great news!!

May he argue on facebook for a long time to come.
Totally agree. Great news!
Tim Weiman

RJ_Daley

« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2021, 12:37:17 AM »
Oh my!  Neffers Marty had teed me up today on FB messenger to drop in for an update.  I wrote a loooong one this evening on my tablet and made the classic GCA rookie poster mistake, I took a phone call, the tablet went into sleep mode, and I returned to observe the loong post was in the either.  Now, after first day home and a bit exhausted it is late and I will take on a proper update of the medical situation that is still quite up in the air and unresolved.  But, I am home and can sleep/breath with "non invasive ventilator" known as 'Trilogy' machine.  yah, I got a long way to go, and not a solid diagnosis.  I'll try to explain tomorrow...  Thank you all.  You are all a very special caring international community of fascinating people bonded by a common 'exciting, pleasurable" sporting activity and all its fields of play.   
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2021, 08:16:51 AM »
  Thank you all.  You are all a very special caring international community of fascinating people bonded by a common 'exciting, pleasurable" sporting activity and all its fields of play.   

Dick,

That is a really gracious and friendly reminder. I hope and pray your recovery is smooth.

Thanks
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

archie_struthers

« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2021, 08:40:29 AM »
 8)

Prayers from the Jersey Shore !

Theresa Stotler

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2021, 08:54:12 AM »
Prayers from Ohio

Buck Wolter

« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2021, 09:05:30 AM »
I met Dick for the first time at the Mashie this summer. There is a Minneapolis GCA email list that somehow Dick got added to and that came up in conversation.

"You gotta get me off that list! Every time somebody farts I hear about it." I don't remember the last time I laughed that hard.

Get well soon

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

SL_Solow

« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2021, 10:21:31 AM »
Delighted that you are feeling better

Bruce Katona

« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2021, 10:47:33 AM »
Feel better and recover quickly.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2021, 02:13:43 PM »
I pray that you continue on the road to health.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

RJ_Daley

« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2021, 03:17:13 PM »
 So, as I said, here is an update.  I woke myself up Jan 11 gasping for breath.  I sat up and regained my breath.  I suspected Covid and called right away for a test (which I haven’t had to date)  Got in that morn and rapid test showed negative.  Also took 24 hour more reliable swab.  X-ray showed some fluid in lung.  The guy that saw me was an opthomologist, as they are short staffed and filling in for each other.   Went home to wait for 24 hour test, couldn’t recline and breath.
Next suspicion was a  Myasthenic Crisis, which I had a mild on 4 years ago when I was loaded with magnesium ( a no for Myasthenia Gravis and Gastro guy said ‘don’t worry, it will pass right through you’) I had a slight respiratory failure and ended up 5days in hospital to receive IV Immunoglobulin – standard treatment for such.  But, that respiratory failure felt different than this I was now experiencing.  So, with nothing better to do not being able to recline, I began to research more on respiration function, and came across med journal articles on Phrenic Nerve compression.  I have been having sore neck rt side for months.  I attributed it to my catastrophic rt shoulder irreparable shoulder.  But, as I read more on the compression of Phrenic Nerve, I thought I was ticking many of the boxes of the described syndrome.  The day wore into night and breathing was impossible in recline.  I resolved to go in the 12th.   I could not sleep in recline and rested in straight back chair.  At 4Am, it was worse and I got in a bit of panic.  I have a regular Neurologist who does not have privileges in Green Bay Hospitals and the Neuro Science Center he practices is 35 miles away and affiliated with Theda Clark Medical Center of Neenah, 40 miles away.  I called their ER and learned my Neuro guy was actually on his weekly duty on call for the entire week.  Also, suspecting the nerve compression thing, I know that Neuro Science has a hotshot Neuro-Surgeon.  So, I called my son to convey me to their ER as I gasped for breath.  I was admitted and my Neuro guy came in at 7am and began the work-up for the obvious Myasthenic Crisis – as that is why I see him for Myasthenia Gravis management/care.  He ordered IVIG to begin immediately, to go 4 days.  But, I mentioned to him my discovery of Phrenic Nerve issue and explained this didn’t feel like previous Myasthenic crisis.   He order CT and X ray an bunch of blood tests for markers of blood clots, etc.  CT showed markedly dysfunctional one side diaphragm and fluid and odd particles in lungs   But, they continued down the IVIG route,  and brought in a pulmonologist.  Placed on Bupa breathing machine in hospital.  Days went by, blood work, IVIG, and no response.  Usually in MG crisis, IVIG can become effective to readjust the auto-immune attack of the Neuro-Muscular junction.  But, no response.  I started pushing more for other classic tests to look at Phrenic Nerve.  Thy relented on day 6, and gave me a cervical MRI.  Sure the heck enough, the C-3-C-4 is a mess, and nerve is bulged or inflamed, a child could see it.  My Neuro sort of faded back to his regular practice in the clinic, an the next of their associates whose turn for the weekly rotation came in to organize a follow-up in a month with Neuro-surgeon, a few follow-ups with Pulmonologist, and weekly IVIGs,  They set me up with the Trilogy breathing machine for home, and home maintenance of machine and refills of oxygen.  I can sleep and breath with machine.  (I think it is actually more comfortable that the BiPap that hospital used) 
To date, no improvement in breathing while reclined. Totally dependent on Trilogy non-invasive ventilator.  Waiting for my follow-up appointments, particularly with Neuro-Surgeon.  I have to see if I need Phrenic Nerve decompression, if I qualify, and if the guy can do it competently.  My research shows only 2 surgeons in the country have made a practice our to this Phrenic Nerve effecting the diaphragm;  one at Jersey Shore Med Center (he pioneered the surgery technique, and his partner he trained working collaboratively on west coast UCLA Med Center)   So, I have a long way to go…

Thank you everyone for your spiritual offerings and friendship. I hope to be able to drive out to the Lido project once underway.  Maybe get the smell of diesel in the lungs! ::) ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2021, 05:10:57 PM »
I kind of miss the smell of diesel in the lungs, too, Dick.  But there will be more of it than usual at Sand Valley this summer!   :o

Hope you are able to sleep more comfortably.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2021, 11:07:20 AM »
Good for you for being so pro-active in determining what ails you.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

archie_struthers

« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2021, 11:58:07 AM »
 ;D

Lots of fight in the dog yet , play on RJ and blessings !

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back