News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jeff Schley

Re: Dismal River Club news.....
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 12:08:43 PM »
Wow I didn't realize they were down to 150 members. :o
They are doing a big time investment as a if you build it they will come I guess. Doubling the cabins and adding a 3rd course, we are probably talking $20 plus million. Also the place is so huge, any architect would love to be able to pick 18 holes which should be great. You have to ride like 15 minutes in a cart just to get to the first tee of one of the course I recall. Very nice experience and club for golfers and outdoorsmen.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 04:26:47 AM »
Anyone investing more at Dismal (River) clearly has money to burn.
Cave Nil Vino

Steve Lapper

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 06:06:58 AM »
Can you imagine if they had skipped building the White course, started with the Red and were now building a high quality second? We'd be talking about it in a far different light.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2023, 07:29:25 AM »
Can you imagine if they had skipped building the White course, started with the Red and were now building a high quality second? We'd be talking about it in a far different light.

Imagine where Doak would be today if he had built the Red course so early in his career next to Sand Hills. Jack took one for the team.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2023, 07:32:01 AM »

Imagine where Doak would be today if he had built the Red course so early in his career next to Sand Hills. Jack took one for the team.
[/quote}

LOL!!! Something tells me that Tom would've at least set foot over on Sand Hills instead of circling it in his GiV to learn something.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2023, 10:45:13 AM »

I can’t really imagine being in a better place than I am, but FYI, I did interview with the original partners to do the first course at Dismal.

I liked those guys, but they had a fellow working for them who was adamant that hiring Jack and doing a road show to sell memberships in the Midwest was their path to success.  They offered to sign me up for their second course back then.

So, I pivoted back and told the O’Neal brothers I thought their land was better and I would rather work for them, but they needed to get their project going if they wanted me to not sign up for Dismal. 

Ironically Dismal came back to me years later after both projects were under new ownership.  So overall I’d say it worked out better than I could have imagined.  But it would have been really sweet if either of them had paid me in full.

Chris Hughes

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2023, 12:30:45 AM »
From the linked article:

"...membership has grown from 150 to 475. The increased demand is taxing resources of the club’s facilities and the ability to obtain staffing from a lightly populated area."

The proposed expansion seems counter intuitive in the context of this statement... :-\
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 12:43:51 AM by Chris Hughes »

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back