News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Chick Evans
« on: August 16, 2020, 10:06:15 AM »
The Am naturally made me think about Evans. I did not remember that he won the Illinois Open when he was 78 years old. That is just amazing.

Ira

John Kavanaugh

Re: Chick Evans
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 10:08:53 AM »
I believe because of his age they gave him an exemption and allowed him to take a cart.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 07:22:01 PM »
I believe because of his age they gave him an exemption and allowed him to take a cart.

No idea if that is true. Maybe it was because he qualified for the US Am 50 times. Or maybe it was because he was Chick Evans...and he won...at age 78.

Ira

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 12:54:34 PM »

No idea if that is true. Maybe it was because he qualified for the US Am 50 times. Or maybe it was because he was Chick Evans...and he won...at age 78.

Ira

Ira, come see the "Chick Evans Room" at our (and his home) club in Chicago sometime .

Peter Flory

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 01:27:47 PM »
The Am naturally made me think about Evans. I did not remember that he won the Illinois Open when he was 78 years old. That is just amazing.

Ira

Fred Muller and Joel Hirsch are the two senior golfers that I've seen in tournament play that makes me understand how something like that is possible.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 01:48:35 PM »

Ira

Ira, come see the "Chick Evans Room" at our (and his home) club in Chicago sometime .

I certainly plan on visiting my Mom as soon as it makes any sense to fly so I may take you up on the invite. I had the pleasure of playing Glen View with my Dad when I was a kid. He was a big supporter of the Evans Scholarship program. In a small world story, a few years ago we had an Evans Scholar on staff at the NFLPA who had caddied for my Dad at Bryn Mawr.

Many thanks,

Ira

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 02:07:03 PM »

Ira

Fred Muller and Joel Hirsch are the two senior golfers that I've seen in tournament play that makes me understand how something like that is possible.

Fred's daughter was an asst at Glen View, Chick's home club, for four years.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 02:15:10 PM »

Ira

Fred's daughter was an asst at Glen View, Chick's home club, for four years.

Ian, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Joel Hirsch take lessons from Ed Oldfield, Sr? His son was the Pro at Bryn Mawr.

Ira
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 02:17:44 PM by Ira Fishman »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back