News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MCirba

Re: Best Amateur Ever
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2020, 10:57:35 AM »
Didn't I win this thing yet?
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Kalen Braley

« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2020, 11:25:18 AM »
Jeff,

I actually agree with you 100% on that last post and I'd even take it a step further.  If you're good enough to get in a tournament then you should be able to play it.

If Tiger Woods wants to get some rounds under his belt and enter the annual Florida Open, then so be it.
And conversely if a top notch college player gets a sponsors exemption, and finishes top 20 in a Tour event, why should he have to forgo the 50k payout?

The lines are in fact blurred as you pointed out as to what an Amateur actually is. Even the USGA Public Links championship, how many of those guys can't access all the best privates in their area whenever they want? The criteria is dubious at best...

Mark Mammel

« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2020, 06:43:27 PM »
Let's not forget Harrison R. "Jimmy" Johnston, winner of the US Amateur at Pebble Beach in 1929. Johnston was a friend of Bob Jones, and had a long and illustrious amateur career. He qualified for the US Open at 19 in 1916. He won 7 Minnesota State Amatuer tournaments in a row, from 1921-1927. Playing out of White Bear Yacht Club in the 1929 US Amateur, he pulled a brassie second shot on 18 onto the beach. He climbed down and, taking off his shoes, hit a spade mashie just short of the green and made par for a half. His opponent never recovered. He played on 4 Walker Cup teams. He was a member of the USGA Executive Committee from 1928-1936, and won the Minnesota Senior Amateur in 1946. He was voted Minnesota Golfer of the Half- Century in 1950.

So much golf to play, so little time....

Mark

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2020, 06:48:26 PM »
Do those stupid golf pants prove that high rough has always been in play?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 07:19:05 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Michael Blake

« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2020, 07:17:18 PM »
I miss Pat’s stories about his dad, Pat Mucci, Sr.
Leader in the clubhouse for best ever stories about a darn good amateur player.

Daryl David

« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2020, 07:57:24 PM »
Not much mention of John Harris.  Maybe not the best, but one hell of an am in his time.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2020, 08:11:41 PM »
I miss Pat’s stories about his dad, Pat Mucci, Sr.
Leader in the clubhouse for best ever stories about a darn good amateur player.

You beat me to it. I was thinking the same thing.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2020, 08:46:09 PM »
Tom Paul may be the best in our ranks.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2020, 09:19:41 PM »
Tom Paul may be the best in our ranks.

Indeed.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

David Ober

Jim Hoak

« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2020, 03:00:31 PM »
I get kinda choked up when I read the descriptions of the great amateur golfers of the '30's, '40's and '50's.  It was a different time - in golf and in America.

I know, I know - it was different, maybe racially and gender exclusionary and with class snobbery.  Amateur golfers were primarily rich, white men - with the ability and means to play golf as much as they wanted.

But I don't want to debate the political or social issues of that era.  It was a simpler time with wonderful, colorful figures.  Maybe it wasn't better or worse - just different.

I just want to remember the stories of golf in those times told by my father.  He was an amateur golfer from Iowa, one of the top players in the state.  Iowa may not be one of the most renowned golf states, but it was a wonderful place and a wonderful time to be a kid.  My dad might have been an even better golfer if it weren't for the 3+ years he spent in the South Pacific in the early '40's, but he never discussed that much.

He won several state tournaments, after having won what was then the Big 10 championship while at the University of Iowa.  He played many US National Amateurs (16, I believe) and two US Opens (his first as a teenager in the '30's).  He was friends through golf with the major amateur names of the time - Coe, Patton, Ward, Campbell, Stranahan.  He probably never reached their level, his best US Am being the round of 16 in Detroit in 1954, when Palmer won the amateur.  That was back when the round of 8 got invited to the Masters.  He lived a life involved in golf with a scratch handicap for 35+ years.  He was not especially wealthy, except in terms of golf experiences.  But he had stories of his times in golf, many of which involved him losing to one of them, or usually some lesser player, through some bad break.  To my young mind, those top amateurs were as important to golf as were Hogan, Snead and Nelson.

I never reached my father's level of play.  After High School and College team golf, I ventured off in different directions.  But he gave me a life-long love of the history and traditions of the game that sticks with me - especially when something brings back stories and memories of those glory days of amateur golf and those noteworthy amateurs.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 03:24:01 PM by Jim Hoak »

JESII

« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2020, 09:50:08 PM »
Well, that’s pretty spectacular.

Thank you Jim!

Gene Greco

« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2020, 11:41:53 PM »
I get kinda choked up when I read the descriptions of the great amateur golfers of the '30's, '40's and '50's.  It was a different time - in golf and in America.

I know, I know - it was different, maybe racially and gender exclusionary and with class snobbery.  Amateur golfers were primarily rich, white men - with the ability and means to play golf as much as they wanted.

But I don't want to debate the political or social issues of that era.  It was a simpler time with wonderful, colorful figures.  Maybe it wasn't better or worse - just different.

I just want to remember the stories of golf in those times told by my father.  He was an amateur golfer from Iowa, one of the top players in the state.  Iowa may not be one of the most renowned golf states, but it was a wonderful place and a wonderful time to be a kid.  My dad might have been an even better golfer if it weren't for the 3+ years he spent in the South Pacific in the early '40's, but he never discussed that much.

He won several state tournaments, after having won what was then the Big 10 championship while at the University of Iowa.  He played many US National Amateurs (16, I believe) and two US Opens (his first as a teenager in the '30's).  He was friends through golf with the major amateur names of the time - Coe, Patton, Ward, Campbell, Stranahan.  He probably never reached their level, his best US Am being the round of 16 in Detroit in 1954, when Palmer won the amateur.  That was back when the round of 8 got invited to the Masters.  He lived a life involved in golf with a scratch handicap for 35+ years.  He was not especially wealthy, except in terms of golf experiences.  But he had stories of his times in golf, many of which involved him losing to one of them, or usually some lesser player, through some bad break.  To my young mind, those top amateurs were as important to golf as were Hogan, Snead and Nelson.

I never reached my father's level of play.  After High School and College team golf, I ventured off in different directions.  But he gave me a life-long love of the history and traditions of the game that sticks with me - especially when something brings back stories and memories of those glory days of amateur golf and those noteworthy amateurs.

Jim

Ummm..
THAT IS SPECTACULAR!
Your Dad lived the life for which I would have dreamed had I been alive during his era.
Thank you for sharing something so golfingly wonderful!

GG

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back