News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dave Herrick

Re: Which par-4 would you gladly accept a 5 on?
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2020, 11:52:12 PM »
Barnbougle Dunes Hole 8.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2020, 12:15:28 AM »
As an 60 year old 13 handicapper I’m happy with a five on any par 4 hole over about 420 yards. That’s my max with driver, 3 wood.

So 5, 10 & 18 at Cavendish.

Three or four holes on any course I play.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 12:17:42 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Tim Leahy

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2020, 01:26:45 AM »
Olympic Club Lake #4
+1 Torrey South #12
Riviera #18
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Scott Warren

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2020, 02:50:08 AM »
The Road Hole is the only par-4 I can think of in today's world where excellent players are content to play just to the front edge of the green with their second shots and try to get down in two from there.

Into the wind, I know plenty of pros who'd have taken 5 at NSW's 15th and walked to 16 tee.
It's the single scariest tee shot I've seen - because if you miss the narrow fairway, most often it's back to the tee to try again - whether you lose the ball or find it unplayable down the left.

For sure. I'm obviously not a pro, but even in the past few months where I've come down to a 1hcp, if 15 is into the wind I hit a driving iron or 4-iron short of the saddle, another long iron to 50m or so short of the green and then try to get down in two for par. It's almost impossible to make more than 5 playing the hole that way and making 7+ is simple if you hit driver and don't keep it in the corridor, which is only 38m wide at driving distance.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 02:51:48 AM by Scott Warren »

Richard Fisher

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2020, 03:32:03 AM »
15th at Harlech. 435 yards into the prevailing wind with trouble everywhere (but no bunkers)
As discussed on this site before, this is one of those holes (and Harlech is one of those courses) where 'bogey' in the traditional usage makes much sense than 'par'. Many of the holes cited in this thread would have had a bogey of five, at one time (not least of course The Road Hole itself).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back