News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Schley

Augusta National buys more real estate - commercial
« on: June 04, 2020, 09:16:27 PM »
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/augusta-national-makes-largest-real-estate-purchase-yet--report?itm_source=parsely-api

$26mil for 15 acres commercial shopping mall.

Also I must have missed this tunnel built under Washington to connect it underground the road to the new Global Broadcast Village.
Pretty soon it will be like the Truman Show.

"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Ken Moum

Re: Augusta National buys more real estate - commercial
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 08:04:31 PM »
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/augusta-national-makes-largest-real-estate-purchase-yet--report?itm_source=parsely-api

Also I must have missed this tunnel built under Washington to connect it underground the road to the new Global Broadcast Village.

Pretty soon?

Have you been there?
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

John Crowley

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 10:59:55 PM »
Meh

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 09:01:10 AM »
ANGC is the face of American golf for many.  Augusta, Georgia is far from a wealthy town.  Is it any wonder that golf has an image of exclusivity and elitism?

Bernie Bell

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 09:07:29 AM »
ANGC is the face of American golf for many.  Augusta, Georgia is far from a wealthy town.  Is it any wonder that golf has an image of exclusivity and elitism?

It's not just Augusta.  It's the great majority of what is discussed here, especially in the US.

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,42368.0.html

Mark Mammel

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 11:43:49 AM »
I went to the Masters in 1992 and 2013, and played the course in 1992. In that 20 year period everything changed. The course, the buildings, the support and encouragement of corporate support. Where the clubhouse was the central focus in 1992, it was overshadowed by all the changes by 2013. The course has become a sort of "Frankengolf", which I suspect Jones and Mackenzie would be hard pressed to recognize today. Was the spectator experience wonderful both times? Absolutely yes. Its the friendliest, most respectful golf crowd you will find anywhere. But as a template for golf today? No. Consider  New York fashion models and all the rest of the men and women out there: both have their own beauty, but emulating the unattainable is not only a mistake, but it isn't reflective of real grace and beauty. Would I like to play there again? Absolutely!!
So much golf to play, so little time....

Mark

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 09:08:32 PM »

The old National Hills Shopping Center(hardly a mall)
had one of two or three movie theatres in Augusta when I was a kid-pretty sure I say Chitty Chitty Bang bang there, Midway(I still remember going with just my dad), Patton and a few others there.
That area had gone downhill, but recently had made a bit of a comeback-somebody made a killing.

It saddens me that bigger and better is nearly always the theme in golf these days...

golf was so much cooler when it wasn't, but rather the secret of the nerds
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back