News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lou_Duran

Re: Medalist
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2020, 12:09:08 PM »
I am better than an 8, but you couldn't pay me enough to display my comparative deficiencies in a match with two of the best golfers ever on a very difficult course in intermittent heavy rain under the glare of the cameras.  Perhaps a more entertaining match would have used Tony Romo and Stephen Curry as the amateur partners.  Or maybe Michael Jordan and Derron Williams?

I'd welcome the opportunity to play The Medalist.  Perhaps when I get an invitation to spend a few days at the Kavanaugh southern compound it will become a reality.  The course appears to have sufficient width though it requires the ability to get the ball in the air to clear some forced carries.  And the green complexes also seem to offer a lot of options.  Pick the right tees and it might be fun. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2020, 12:15:14 PM »
Lou,

The course is a bunch of fun and would be even more so after watching this match. The unaccompanied rate is $400+. I'm not currently planning on going back but if I could watch you squeeze that wallet of yours for money better spent at Pebble it would be worth my while.

The course is 4 shots easier than Tiger's old club Isleworth.

SB

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2020, 01:57:06 PM »
As a course owner, I spent the entire telecast cringing. 

I've spent the last two months being extra careful in fear of being shut down for not taking precautions, yet the lack of BASIC precautions compared to last weeks' broadcast was shocking.  For example:
1.  All four of them standing directly next to each other on an otherwise empty driving range.  How hard would it have been to put an extra spot in between them?     
2.  Lots of high fives/fist bumps - really?   
3.  Pulling the flagstick on every hole - something that is universally not done right now.     
4.  The convoy of golf carts behind them was at least double last week's fleet.  In addition to the multitude of cameras and other people doing who knows what, there was one guy following them and the only thing he appeared to be doing was recording every shot on his iphone.  Because the 20 video cameras and 5 professional photographers wasn't good enough?   
5.  Standing literally shoulder to shoulder reading greens   
6.  You could throw a hula hoop over all four of them when they were presenting the check at the end.And, as an added bonus, I got to watch Phil drive his cart right up to the green and practically onto the tee box on half a dozen holes.  (The others usually stayed on the cart path).

Our marshall's job is hard enough without pros setting a bad example.  If this was at a regular golf course in a newly opened state, it would be on the news and golf courses would be shut down again.  At a certain point I got the impression that it was deliberate, not sure why?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2020, 02:40:21 PM »
It’s reality baby!!!

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2020, 04:18:10 PM »

I've spent the last two months being extra careful in fear of being shut down for not taking precautions, yet the lack of BASIC precautions compared to last weeks' broadcast was shocking.  For example:
1.  All four of them standing directly next to each other on an otherwise empty driving range.  How hard would it have been to put an extra spot in between them?     
3.  Pulling the flagstick on every hole - something that is universally not done right now.     
4.  The convoy of golf carts behind them was at least double last week's fleet.  In addition to the multitude of cameras and other people doing who knows what, there was one guy following them and the only thing he appeared to be doing was recording every shot on his iphone.  Because the 20 video cameras and 5 professional photographers wasn't good enough?   
6.  You could throw a hula hoop over all four of them when they were presenting the check at the end.And, as an added bonus, I got to watch Phil drive his cart right up to the green and practically onto the tee box on half a dozen holes.  (The others usually stayed on the cart path).

Our marshall's job is hard enough without pros setting a bad example.  If this was at a regular golf course in a newly opened state, it would be on the news and golf courses would be shut down again.  At a certain point I got the impression that it was deliberate, not sure why?

I'm sure everyone on site had been tested, so it was probably tough for them to really care about distancing while also knowing everyone there was negative. Same thing last week. I'm assuming they were all asked to distance just for the optics.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2020, 04:20:40 PM »
JK- my wallet has been quarantined for at least until a vaccine is widely distributed and proven effective.  I was going for the extraordinarily generous Kavanaugh hospitality I had heard so much about.  I was even prepared to lower my golf shorts down to my hip bones so they'd at least cover the top of my knees.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2020, 05:12:41 PM »

I'm sure everyone on site had been tested, so it was probably tough for them to really care about distancing while also knowing everyone there was negative. Same thing last week. I'm assuming they were all asked to distance just for the optics.
But none of that can be said for those watching.  Which I think was SBusch's point.  It's about setting an example.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2020, 06:56:14 PM »
Why any pro golfer would ever want this to be their home golf course is utterly beyond me. What a yawnfest of flat, featureless, swamp-ridden, water-infested dullness it is.
F.

Marty, most Florida golf is like that.

Marty, Florida has zero state income tax.

It’s not just the weather and easy access to Walgreens and CVS that make FL so attractive.... ;D

(The two largest drugstores/pharmacies/chemists)

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2020, 07:17:58 PM »
Ian,
I’ve holidayed/vacationed in Florida at least 15 times over the past thirty years. Know it well! Love me some Publix Key Lime Pie!
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2020, 07:28:55 PM »
Isleworth is a better course but you can not beat Medalist's proximity to the Yacht.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2020, 08:22:55 PM »

1.  All four of them standing directly next to each other on an otherwise empty driving range.  How hard would it have been to put, etc., etc.

Regardless of whether they were all "tested" clean right before the match, I was absolutely shocked that for the optics, or whatever, that they did not practice distancing and other safety measures and emphasize it.  After all, wasn't this about the COVID-19 thing, or did I miss something.  Putting that aside, I enjoyed watching the spectacle.

David McIntosh

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2020, 06:12:22 PM »
Ian,
Love me some Publix Key Lime Pie!
Marty,

You're not the only one!  ;D

William_G

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2020, 09:28:12 PM »

But none of that can be said for those watching.  Which I think was SBusch's point.  It's about setting an example.

Correct SBusch's is about optics and shaming the pros, Fox, all the donors etc....it' was a show made for TV and donations

obviously people are brainless and can't understand what they see on TV

no one can ever make a decision based on what the think makes sense about anything about picking up old tees, holding a flagstick, etc....

call GCA first, LOL

PS.
DraftKings was prominent, that is what was a concern if anything IMO
It's all about the golf!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2020, 09:27:39 AM »
I was impressed with the course on television, forced carries from the tee aside.   Some subtle shaping that wasn't over the top.  Also, the half-moon 3rd green and surrounds were fantastic.  It appears angles mattered. 

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bill Gayne

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2020, 08:31:20 PM »
Ian,
Love me some Publix Key Lime Pie!
Marty,

You're not the only one!  ;D

You don't have to be from the UK to enjoy Publix sweet tea, deli fried chicken, and key lime pie!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2020, 11:30:08 PM »
I am better than an 8, but you couldn't pay me enough to display my comparative deficiencies in a match with two of the best golfers ever on a very difficult course in intermittent heavy rain under the glare of the cameras.  Perhaps a more entertaining match would have used Tony Romo and Stephen Curry as the amateur partners.  Or maybe Michael Jordan and Derron Williams?

I'd welcome the opportunity to play The Medalist.  Perhaps when I get an invitation to spend a few days at the Kavanaugh southern compound it will become a reality.  The course appears to have sufficient width though it requires the ability to get the ball in the air to clear some forced carries.  And the green complexes also seem to offer a lot of options.  Pick the right tees and it might be fun.

Perhaps the Medalist is a good course for the Pros but for mere Mortals, steady playing of this beast will lead to your quitting golf for fishing.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back