News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Re:Favorite New Clubhouse
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2003, 09:02:37 PM »
I have been to most of the clubs mentioned on this site.  They don't hold a candle to either Sage Valley or Kinloch.  Sage Valley is like no other and Kinloch is a modern Seminole.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2003, 09:54:08 PM »
Check out The Ritz clubhouse and The Bear's, both in Jupiter
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Eric_Dorsey

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2003, 10:04:32 PM »
Best clubhouse I've ever seen is Glen Oaks, in W. Des Moines.

http://stonehousegolf.com/collection/view.asp?PID=GO

Colonial CC (FW, TX) is nice too.
Belle Meade is by far the largest I've ever seen.
Brook Hollow had a nice southern charm to it.

Doug Wright

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2003, 10:42:44 PM »
JWL,

Not to worry. I never said the clubhouse was on fire, I said it and the course were threatened by a serious wildfire Wednesday that started across Daniels Park Road near The Sanctuary that torched a whole lot of acreage. There were extremely high winds that day and there was concern that it would spread to surrounding areas like Castle Pines. The Castle Pines and Castle Pines North neighborhoods were evacuated overnight. A wind shift and then a very fortunate rain ended the threat.

Best,

PS What's "your elk" doing there? Did you kill it on the property while working there (by running over it with a grader or something... :o ;D)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 10:44:30 PM by Doug Wright »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2003, 12:42:57 AM »
I still think the Claremont Golf Course shack puts all these others to shame.  While all the ones shown are visually appealing, none have that real grit to them that makes them special.  They all look like Cheesecake Factorys whereas Claremont's looks like the Waffle House.

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

Steve Lapper

« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2003, 07:39:17 AM »
 One to consider, in the "log cabin" theme:

http://www.roaringforkclub.net/sitepages/pid133.php

This clubhouse is absolutely one of the nicest and classiest I've ever seen. The inside is nicer than the outside.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

JWL

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2003, 09:12:43 AM »
Doug Wright
Thanks for the clarification.   I guess I misread your post.
"My elk" is a long story.    Jack let me accompany him on a trip to White Mountain, AZ on the Apache land.   It is he best elk hunt in the world, or so I am told.   Anyway, I was fortunate enough to get a beautiful elk on the trip.  I didn't have a place in my home to display the mount, and Mr. Vickers and I discussed the possibility of replacing the "smallish" Colorado elk he had in the locker room.   It sounded like a plan to me, and we shipped it to Castle Pines and I am proud that it can be displayed in such a beautiful place. ;D

Tom_Doak

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2003, 11:25:21 AM »
I apologize to many clubs which I'm sure I'm forgetting.

In the "small" category I'll go with Chechessee Creek.
In the "opulent" category I'd take The Bridges at Rancho Santa Fe.

I do second the nomination of Redtail, which Jeff Mingay mentioned.  And no one has mentioned Desert Highlands, which is about 20 years old now but is a daring building with beautiful outdoor spaces, too.

Brad Swanson

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2003, 11:33:15 AM »
Redanman,
   The Cherokee Ranch fire burned only a few non-residential structures and progressed right up to the edge of Sanctuary.  The entire area you describe was evacuated, a technician in my lab lives by The Ridge at Castle Pines North and was homeless for a night.  Had the weather not taken a drastic turn for the colder and eventually wetter the night the fire broke-out, it would've been ugly.

Cheers,
Brad Swanson
« Last Edit: November 01, 2003, 12:19:07 PM by Brad Swanson »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2003, 03:54:04 PM »
Check out the new clubhouse for the Chirichua layout at Desert Mountain in Scottsdale, AZ.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2003, 04:36:36 PM »
I'll take the opposite route and let you know about what may be the worst new clubhouse.  I'll certainly not mention the club by name, because I still have a lot of friends there.

The "old" clubhouse was a cozy, intimate, cottage style very much in tune with the area's surrounding architecture.  However, it had numerous safety issues (especially with wiring), and the kitchen was way too small.  

So, we built a new clubhouse.  I personally voted for the clubhouse - it looked great on paper.

We spent a year using our car trunks as our individual lockers and anxiously awaited the new building.

Boy, was I disappointed.  As another former member said, "they built a Holiday Inn banquet room with a locker room".  The lockers were beautiful wood - the pro shop was first rate.  

But the clubhouse lacked character.  It lacked life.  They "forgot" to put in a sound system of any kind, so you could hear every word of every member in the dining room.  Worst of all, the dining room was usually nearly empty, making you feel pretty foolish if you just wanted a burger after the round.  (The grill was pretty sterile too.)

I guess you could say that they built it like those "McMansions" you see popping up.  They can be great, but they can be very sterile too if they don't get TLC from their owners.

I only mention this because newer doesn't necessarily mean better.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back