News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Stephens

Scraptoft Golf Course Leicester
« on: November 05, 2019, 07:11:50 AM »
Here is a new website what is happening to Scraptoft Golf Course in Leicester.

https://www.scraptoftnorth.co.uk

They are to be relocated to Houghton on the Hill with new golf course designed by Ken Moodie of Creative Golf Design

https://www.scraptoftnorth.co.uk/scraptoft-golf-club

Very similar trend that will be more common in the UK in the next decade or two. Royal Norwich is another example

Duncan Cheslett

Re: Scraptoft Golf Course Leicester
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 08:01:27 AM »
I agree that this is likely be a common story.

With local authorities under increasing pressure to find suitable land for house building, struggling suburban golf courses are an obvious target.

I know nothing of Scraptoft but it would seem that members are getting a fantastic new facility only ten minutes from their old course.

It's nice to see Ken getting a proper new build to get his teeth into again after a decade of them being rather thin on the ground. I'm sure he'll do a great job.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 08:13:57 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Ben Stephens

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 09:48:41 AM »
The current Scraptoft course is not a lot to write about even though I played there quite often at junior level.

Ken Moodie's course is on a really good piece of landscape with nice surrounding views as i have been on the nearby main road god knows how many times.

I look forward to seeing this course come to fruition and hope to play it in the near future.

Adam Uttley

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 10:08:41 AM »
This has to be a win-win.  I played Scraptoft and can confirm it’s not a good golf course and it’s on a very bland piece of land.  If members can get a course on better land, with great facilities, and all stay together I’d say that’s a pretty good deal.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 11:24:54 AM »
But are they going to insist on keeping that awful name?

"Scraptoft" or "Houghton-on-the-Hill"?

;D

Ben Stephens

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 02:54:54 AM »
But are they going to insist on keeping that awful name?

"Scraptoft" or "Houghton-on-the-Hill"?

;D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scraptoft - It used to be Scrapentot and mentioned in the Domesday Book

Houghton Golf Club? - there is one in Johannesburg SA and Houghton Le Spring GC I think they are likely to stick with the Scraptoft name

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 05:59:36 PM »

Posted twice in error
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 02:24:51 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 01:53:55 AM »

It's nice to see that it isn't only the big name firms who can produce quality promotional videos of their proposed work...

https://ken8574.wixsite.com/scraptoft

Click the menu options for fly through CGI animations of all 27 holes...

« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 02:31:24 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2019, 03:34:06 AM »
Agreed it's good to see Ken get a new 18 hole course. He'll be meticulous in ensuring he does the best for the club.

One little note to Duncan above because I've seen it said a few times in recent posts: M&E are not a "big" firm. There seems to be this idea that because they have cleaned up all the links work around Great Britain that they are a big firm with a backroom staff. Part of the perceived problem (from me anyway) is that they are working at so many courses with just the two of them as architects. They are spread a little thin.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2019, 04:41:56 AM »
Ally,

I actually said “big name firm”.

I’m sure you will agree that whatever one might think of their work and despite being a relative minnow in terms of the number of staff they have, M&E have established themselves as a big “name” in the industry in GB&I

In terms of work on old classic courses in the top 100, they are clearly currently the biggest name.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 04:59:37 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Ben Stephens

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2019, 05:01:09 AM »
Planning Application documents for the golf course at Houghton on the Hill

https://pa2.harborough.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=Q0V20THW0MS00&activeTab=summary

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back