News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Schley

Southport golf anyone Sept 13-17?
« on: September 11, 2019, 03:33:41 PM »
Guys have a last minute trip to play some of the notable Southport area courses.  Working on access right now, but arriving Sept 13-17 and will drive to Ganton for one day and then am trying to schedule Royal Lytham St. Annes, Royal Liverpool, Royal Birkdale.  Happy to play 36 some days as well as it appears some of the visitor times are in the afternoon.  Ganton and RLSA are bookable online, needing help with RL and RB. 

So if anyone wants to play let me know.  Looking forward to it either way as I like to travel alone and meet locals on the course.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Jeff Schley

Re: Southport golf anyone Sept 13-17?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 05:13:10 PM »
Well I was ahead of schedule and just finished up my trip and had a glorious time.

1. The weather was awesome, yes I mean that by any measure, which is a blessing seeing as how unpredictable it can be here in that area.  55-72 everyday no wind over 15 mph and sunny for the most part, no rain.  Thank you lord.

2. Rented a car and was scared out of my mind with adrenaline pumping like my life was on the line for the first hour at least.  New stress inducing word: Roundabouts!  I’m alive and the rental car scratches to the left wheels hope don’t show up.

3. Ganton - Holy deep bunkers Batman! 16 I think you could bury a couple double decker buses in them. Was playing fairly soft which was helpful to avoid the roll into those deep bunkers. Got a yardage book which had several blind tee balls, including 18 which is played right into the sun as well.  I know we are spoiled golfers and look for imperfections, but having the closing hole into the sun is a negative IMO, sorry.  17 hit 3 wood very well but tugged it into the left bunker so that is stout as it gets for par 3’s. A little out of hte way to get to, but would come back again certainly.  Stayed at the Orchard Lodge B&B which was very quaint. BTW reminder to us visitors that you can’t go in the clubhouse without dress shoes here.

4. Royal Lytham & St. Annes - Fairly forgiving with the whispy grass and not a much heather/gorse then others I really enjoyed. It doesn’t demand absolute accuracy off the tee.  I had my nightmares of Royal County Down this summer previously and RLSA is much more forgiving off the tee, which helps me as I can spray my drives. Now to counteract that there are a helluva lot of fairway bunkers as well, which poses their own issues. Having a staring par 3 hole is unique and I don’t mind it at all, for this hole is pretty open and doesn’t demand perfection. I really liked 17, a definite brute for sure.  Interestingly this course isn’t on the sea and doesn’t really have any rolling fairways.  So some interest is taken out compared to a Royal St. George for example. I have heard they are being squeezed out of the Open Rota for RLiverpool and Royal Portrush were promised 3 opens as part of an agreement to put in infrastructure as many of you know more than I.  IMHO I didn’t think the greens were that difficult or had consistent imagination, pretty dull compared to the others.  Although again as an amateur, I like this course the best out of the 4 playability wise if the grass/gorse/heather is down.

5. Royal Birkdale - this course has some movement in it now, with the iconic white clubhouse. Pretty hilly and this provided for some gorgeous views. My favorite scenery of the tour and vistas were picturesque. Greens were very slow, maybe a 7 on the stimpmeter, although they had rain the day before I think. I can say it was consistent which is all anyone can ask, slow or fast, just be consistent. Hole #1 is a tough hole right from jump street as you have to hit the fairway on this dogleg left slightly hidden green. Liked the 7th par 3 with the little bunker in front. Hole 18 is just a great hole and a long finishing hole. I think this is a fair test as there isn’t the rolling fairways like RSGeorges either here.  The grass was very lush that made anything off the fairway pretty impossible. My host and his son were true English gentlemen and did the Sunday brunch afterwards in coat/tie.  Going to do a clubhouse interiour remodel so more Art Deco.)

6. Royal Liverpool - Some days you just don’t have it.  This was one of those days.  I had no confidence off the tee and played as a 1.ball by myself. As many of you know this course is as flat as an ironing board, A very easy walk, but just too tight for me today with the wind being consistent 15 mph. After hole 6 I reached into my bag and thought, “oh shiznits, I may run out of balls today before I finish.” well i had 2 left.  Lost about 12. So shades of RCDown with the grass and heather just being too lush and deep for me.  Just had the Walker Cup and was told they grew it up as I would expect. Really liked the greens here, many areas of runoff, particularly the sides and back, but would just roll into the dips or rough surrounds. Bunkers were deep for fairway bunkers as well.  Very well placed fairway bunkers which since the course is so flat act as lines to drive your ball. Clubhouse has a large collection of memorabilia although I thought the food was gouging people a bit price wise, but I’m on a vacation and having a great time

All in all, I conquered my fear of driving on the “wrong side” of the road, didn’t die (yet), met 4 future golfing buddies, and will be back to play the other off the radar courses (Formby, etc.) I would be remiss if I didn’t mention I love the UK model of making golf accessible for all. My host at RB was aghast when I told him what some courses cost to join in the states. The best courses in the US get played the least in many cases because of access.

Thank you to the UK and look forward to my next trip back.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 05:16:36 PM by Jeff Schley »
- Steve Prefontaine

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 05:30:54 PM »
Jeff,

I’m glad to hear that you are safe. You were in my thoughts.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 06:25:03 PM »
Jeff,

I’m glad to hear that you are safe. You were in my thoughts.

Yeah I luckily was out of Kingdom when the attack happened.  I had 38 people I know who all emailed me within a couple hours.  As obviously not many people in the US are there, much less working for the company.  Coincidentally I was just at one of those facilities the week prior inspecting their safety procedures and protocols (not security) as part of a management inspection review. That camp Abqaiq has been evacuated (1750 people approx.). As many of us have known for a while, drones are going to be the new weapon of terrorists and there is a massive investment from not only oil/gas, but country’s military forces to come up with a “patriot missle” type system to counteract drones.

I’m alive and thanks for thinking of me.  God bless.
- Steve Prefontaine

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back