News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pat Burke

Re: The First Time You Knew A Place Was Different 2.0
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2019, 11:51:50 PM »
Always, always enjoy your stories and insights, Pat.
And when I read the last lines of your post, I was struck by what an absolute joy it must be to play the game at that level, i.e. to control your ball so well that a round of golf at St Andrews is all about *you and the course* -- purely, simply and fundamentally.
I can't imagine Old Tom Morris could've ever wanted more for The Old Course than for it to be enjoyed by such a golfer.
Peter

Thanks Peter....
Well Old Tom would have been thrilled then!  I still tell my practice round story (way too often) but it is  my favorite day and memory of my playing career.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2019, 12:23:29 AM »

Lawsonia circa 1990.

Up to that point all I knew to inquire about was the name of the architect.

That place made me giddy with the thought of playing it again. It also made me think about the intent of the owner. But it wasn't until finding the treehouse did I realize there was endless minutia to absorb.

Now I typically inquire about more, that is, if I ever find someone who knows the name of the designer.

Pat Burke, If you're the same family of the Pat Burke whose name is on the first set of clubs (early 60's) I ever saw, or used (and still have some of them) I'm just tickled. If not, your story is  very much appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 12:27:30 AM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Pat Burke

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2019, 03:30:58 AM »
Not related to the Burkes from the clubs back then, or Jack Burke

I am related to the Toski's
Bob Toski is my grandfather Ben Toski's brother, and one of four brothers who were PGA professionals.
Bob and Tommy Toski are still going and teaching in their 90s!

We are 3 generations deep in golf professionals!!

Ira Fishman

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2019, 10:53:00 AM »
Not related to the Burkes from the clubs back then, or Jack Burke

I am related to the Toski's
Bob Toski is my grandfather Ben Toski's brother, and one of four brothers who were PGA professionals.
Bob and Tommy Toski are still going and teaching in their 90s!

We are 3 generations deep in golf professionals!!

Pat,

That is quite the golf family tree. Mr. Toski’s Touch System for Better Golf may have been the first instructional book I bought. I used to love watching him and listening to him talk. If memory serves, he was one of the smallest players physically to play on the Tour but one of the longest drivers.

Ira

Jim Moeller

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2019, 03:11:25 PM »
Thanks everyone for indulging my original post. It's been interesting to read how we have each come to architecture through different means. And how fun that the discussion led to a Bob Toski reference, as the first clubs I ever bought with my own money were Toski irons (and still have them). Adam - thanks for teeing up the question to Pat. Pat - thanks for mentioning your great uncle.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2019, 10:25:32 AM »
For me, it was Sand Hills in 2005.

I am curious how you wound up going all the way out to Sand Hills without knowing what to expect.

I had heard quite a bit about it before I made the journey, but wasn't really into golf architecture at that point in time.  I remember googling Sand Hills Golf Club and somehow it took me to this site and Ran's write-up.  I was intrigued with what I read, and couldn't wait to see it in person.  I had played a lot of different golf courses with high school and collegiate golf, but hadn't really given the architecture much thought.  Sand Hills was so much more than anything I had played, and the architecture had everything to do with it.  I enjoyed having to think my way around the course and the options that it presented, which up until that time I really hadn't done.  This visit ultimately shaped my whole outlook on golf courses and ultimately led me to Ballyneal, which I'm lucky to call home.   
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

MLevesque

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2019, 05:42:43 PM »
For me it was Yale.  With its epic scale, bold bunkering and massive greens with contours, ridges, swals and gullies-it was unlike anything I've ever seen.
I am Skew!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back