News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Bunkers and humps
« on: November 23, 2018, 07:37:01 AM »
I’ve always founds humps to be interesting features on courses.
The other day I looked at a hole and wondered what things would be like if where the bunkers were located there were humps instead of bunkers. Not necessarily massively high or wide humps though. Nor am I suggesting that all bunkers (or even grassy hollows) should be filled-in and raised and the specific location is of course vital.
I hope you get the idea.
Illusion on distance perception, attempt to fly the ball over them but fail and the ball can bounce off at various angles, can be mowed so allowing the ground game, less maintenance (bunkers usually being a significant cost factor), land shots on them such that the ball slows down or deliberately deflects to another spot etc etc.
Obviously some bunkers have slopes at the sides and over the top and some have delightfully contoured shoulders that run across greens but many can be bland, especially if they’ve been there quite some time and have not undergone (costly?) refurbishment, ie may well have morphed into round shallow sand pits.
Thoughts?
Atb
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 08:40:04 AM by Thomas Dai »

Peter Pallotta

Re: Bunkers and humps
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 03:58:10 PM »
ATB -
I'd not thought of it before, but it sure does seem that at some point (post 1930s?) there was a collective 'decision' among architects that sand-filled bunkers looked more natural (and/or more attractive) than did humps/bumps & mounds, even on non-sandy sites -- the result being that the former proliferated (until this very day) while the latter virtually disappeared and -- aside from the 80s style containment mounding -- have never come back.
And now, especially after you point out the charms and challenges of those humps/bumps & mounds, I find myself wondering why. I mean, with 'modern' earthmoving equipment and with architects post-war able and willing to move that earth, you'd think that mounds would've been just as easy as bunkers to create.
Peter

« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 04:12:25 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 07:28:26 PM »
The simplest answer to this question is that bunkers provide contrast and photograph well.  Mounds don't.  (Wasn't that a marketing jingle?)  That's why you don't see many good photos of Garden City Golf Club, for one.

Next year I will find out how few bunkers I can include on a high profile project.  It's not all my decision - there are lots of stakeholders involved with this one, and I'm curious what they will be open to.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 07:34:18 PM »
I love mounds!  Especially around the greens.
The randomness of bounces--or the precision needed to play around mounds--adds to the fun and enjoyment of golf.
My understanding is the MacKenzie loved the use of mounds, and I have observed them on his courses, especially around par 5 greens.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 07:13:17 AM »
The simplest answer to this question is that bunkers provide contrast and photograph well.  Mounds don't.  (Wasn't that a marketing jingle?)  That's why you don't see many good photos of Garden City Golf Club, for one.
Next year I will find out how few bunkers I can include on a high profile project.  It's not all my decision - there are lots of stakeholders involved with this one, and I'm curious what they will be open to.

Oh yes, the photogenic nature of yellow sand and a green background. Bit like colourful trees in the autumn or shining water.
Atb

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 08:11:37 AM »
I don't know Tom, Walton Heath Old photos very well with its combo of sand and earthworks...and that is on a fairly flat site. Of course, the texture of heathlands adds to visual delight.  Much of the time, I think bunkers look horrible and should not be used as much unless done very well. 

I think it comes down to how the mounding is done and where it is placed.  Rough n ready works well...except on US courses which spend loads trying to create a pristine effect....which imo is usually a losing battle which offers mixed results.

I have said it before, but if archies literally justified every bunker placed and tried not to repeat the same justification more than 3-4 times we would have better courses and a more interesting balance of features. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 08:15:35 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Keith Durrant

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 07:08:08 PM »

"Simpson's Folly" guards the front-left of the 9th green providing kicks left, right and occasionally left on top (all of which result in a challenging up and down):

https://www.liphookgolfclub.com/hole_9

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 11:00:26 AM »
I have always thought the use of sand bunkers to be way overdone on most modern courses. There are so many more options, none of which seem to "satisfy" the designer more than sand filled holes (bunkers). In Bunkers, Pits & Other Hazards, Mark Fine and I shared some insight to the artificial creation of humps — and the origins of this trend to golf architecture:

Alpinization

The idea of “Alpinization” was discussed by many legendary golf architects after a breakthrough experiment in 1910 by J.H. Taylor, the acclaimed British golfer and five-time winner of The Open. The concept was simple enough: Create mounds on flattish inland parcels of land with the goal of emulating the bumpy terrain of seaside linksland. As golf flourished across the world there was an intense desire to copy the holes and hazards of golf’s original courses—those on the natural linksland. Hazards had been naturally driven on early terrain by the coast. The dunes and uneven landscape provided nearly endless hazards for the taking, and in a spot where a new hazard might be interesting to consider, a never-ending palette from which to develop hazards was readily available. The slopes of dunes and the low points in between needed only a modest nudge to create hazards of dramatic quality.

But as golf grew beyond the seacoasts to meet a hungry population, the charm of the links needed cloning if golf was to survive the heathland and often less interesting land away from the sea. On many occasions those responsible for laying out new courses would conduct investigative trips to study early links courses. Whether the new course was being created in the heart of England, just a day’s drive from the sea, on the European Continent or in America, the effort to attempt recreation of some of the ambiance of natural linksland was a major objective.

It was Taylor’s experiment to transform Royal-Mid Surrey’s Outer Course in England that spurred the discussion. Mid-Surrey is located at the edge of both Middlesex and Surrey, hence its name. It was originally founded in 1892. One is able to get a picture-perfect image of the course before Taylor began his tinkering through the words of the late Bernard Darwin. In describing the land’s unsuitability for golf, Darwin (as usual) deploys just the correct amount of words, writing that it was “flat as a pancake.” What more does one need to know? Thank you, Mr. Darwin.

The ultimate solution put to practice by Taylor involved many horses and laborers. Taylor was assisted by Peter Lees, a greenkeeper. Together the two men directed this combination of animal, plow and manual labor, creating a scene as if ants were forming pile upon pile of soil. Eventually the flat landscape was transformed into one of peaked mounds and humps. Some of these were very large and impressive. The objective was to recreate linksland, and at the same time replace the need for so many penal bunkers. Without dunes and natural features, inland courses sans natural landforms were being defined by too many cross bunkers and cop bunkers. ­­They were becoming a crutch of sorts. Taylor reasoned that hillocks and hollows created artificially would be a better approach, and besides, these would allow for a more natural setting to place bunkers.

As the work of Taylor and Lees progressed, those busy planning new courses around the world took notice. Soon there was a buzz about “alpinization” everywhere golf was being considered. George Crump at Pine Valley attempted a version of “alpinization,” soon abandoning it. Crump placed his eggs in the basket of using the terrain Pine Valley had to offer. “Alpinization” did not seem to fit every canvas. In the span of just a few years the concept of “alpinization” went from being admired to being shunned. Taylors’ abrupt mounds and the replicated nature of them was thought of as a Frankenstein.

Taylor, who had been quoted during his Mid Surrey effort as saying, “...it should be made to look as close to nature as the hand of man admits,” is still shunned today. Many golf architecture critics and enthusiasts continue to describe his work as a “failure”—unnatural and unnecessary.

But Taylor’s laboratory at Mid Surrey forever gave golf a major breakthrough. The notion that Taylor failed is without merit. Although the result of “alpinization” at first was perhaps too abrupt and overdone, it opened the door to thinking beyond bunkers as hazards. Taylor taught us to think outside the box when it comes to mixing golf with inland sites. The lesson learned from Mid Surrey was that the earth could be sculpted, not only by the hand of Mother Nature, but also through the vision of the golf architect. The hazards of the natural linksland were never intended to be bunker after bunker or sand pit after sand pit. Taylor sent a reminder into the future that the nuances of the undulating land are as much a part of the challenge of golf as anything else.

(©2005 John Wiley & Sons, Bunkers, Pits & Other Hazards)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 11:06:49 AM by Forrest Richardson »
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back