News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Gozzer Ranch course profile
« on: October 07, 2014, 09:18:04 AM »
... is now posted under Courses by Country and Architecture Timeline.

My favorite Fazio course has always been Wade Hampton, where a star-studded team of design associates (Dana Fry, Mike Strantz, etc.) helped Tom design the acclaimed Carolina mountain course in the mid-1980s. At that time sand capping a course was unheard of. Roll the clock forward thirty years and much has changed and I see all the good things that the Fazio organization has learned incorporated at Gozzer Ranch. To begin with, the course was sand-capped. Secondly, a bunch of low lying features greet the golfer, which always appeals. Finally, to my eye, it appears to be his least manufactured design despite the rock work required.

Climate and soil are so crucial to good golf and Gozzer Ranch has those elements wildly in its favor. Watching balls bound down the fast running 8th or 15th fairways or onto open greens like 5, 11 , 12 , 15 and 18 or swing along the sloping greens at holes like 7 and 17 is the brand of golf that we all cherish most. The best part is that it all happens in a spectacular setting to boot. Sign me up!  It might well be my favorite Fazio design.

They were having an intra-club Ryder Cup match when I was there and the comments heard around the fire pits centered around 'fun.' 'How much fun was it that the tees were forward on 4?' Some took a rip at the green. 'How much fun was the back left hole location on 17?' Of course, it’s hard not to be in a fine spirits when you are there; the photos in the course profile indicate why. I was cursed with a perfect clear late September afternoon there. 'Cursed' because look below at the jaw-dropping  :o photo from a couple of years ago that Green Keeper Jim McPhilomy shared with me:

Is that crazy or what?! Coming from Pinehurst, the folks at CCNC think they have a special lake but …. well … errrr…. hmm… it doesn't quite compare to Lake Coeur D'Alene!  Golf – and life, for that matter – is better in a compelling environment.

A little over an hour from Spokane, Gozzer Ranch is one of those gorgeous spots that is actually easy to reach; you don’t have to be Lewis and Clark to get here but when you arrive, you’ll sure be glad you made the journey.

Best,

Eric Smith

Re: Gozzer Ranch course profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 10:01:30 AM »
Merlin's beard!! A visual feast!!

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 05:24:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing Ran.

Just wondering for those that have been fortunate enough to play both Gozzer Ranch and Martis Camp, how do these mountain like courses compare?
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

David_Elvins

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 06:30:53 PM »

Thanks Ran,  A really interesting looking course and profile.

Common sense would dictate that no one should ever really build a golf hole on land like this. 

But I guess that moderation is the key and when blended with low profile hole such as this, it works.

Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 06:10:34 AM »

Thanks Ran,  A really interesting looking course and profile.

Common sense would dictate that no one should ever really build a golf hole on land like this. 

But I guess that moderation is the key and when blended with low profile hole such as this, it works.

Curious how it plays.  Where can you miss the green, other than bunkers, and still have a reasonable recovery shot?  Compared to #17 at TPC Sawgrass,e.g., which probably takes a similar club, it looks more forgiving. 

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 12:16:16 PM »
Ran,
Thanks for the course review, which has now tingled my senses. I hope to make it there sooner rather than later.

Jim,
I find the moderation comment very interesting. In Lake Tahoe, there is a golf course called Coyote Moon with what may be an even more severe drop shot hole. But unlike Gozzer, much of its landscape is that severe. It leads to several exciting holes, but a routing that makes walking all but impossible in the mountain air, and a few holes, most notably the 14th, feel rather awkward.

Is the key moderation in the sense that having more tee shots like this takes minimizes the joy of playing each shot or that it is nearly impossible to create a cohesive/walkable routing on such a severe landscape?
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 11:18:51 PM »
Great review and photos. I'd heard really good things about this place from someone who frequents Coeur d'Alene, but now I think he undersold it. I've been wanting to plan a trip to this area for some time now, but after reading the profile, I see I have to make that happen sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the writeup. Really enjoyed it.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Andy Troeger

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 10:56:04 AM »
Gozzer Ranch is really good, and this profile captures that very well. It has a number of great golf holes, in addition to the spectacular setting. I really liked how they cleared most of the trees away on #11 to enhance the visual. This one or Victoria National would get my vote as Fazio's best, ahead of Diamond Creek and Wade Hampton in NC.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 12:01:15 PM »
Merlin's beard!! A visual feast!!

Did you just say "Merlin's Beard???"  :o :o OMG! Now the DORK ALARM is blaring all across the Ozarks! :):)
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Brad Tufts

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 07:20:05 PM »
Thanks for sharing Ran.

Just wondering for those that have been fortunate enough to play both Gozzer Ranch and Martis Camp, how do these mountain like courses compare?

This is GCA...so it should be "BY THE PULL OF MERLIN'S BEARD!!"

Martis and Gozzer are similar (and similarly excellent), but Gozzer is Martis that goes up to 11. 

Gozzer has the views, the visual wow factor, and a bit more strategy.  Martis has several holes that are less memorable, where Gozzer doesn't really have a clunker in the bunch.

I remember not knowing much about MC going in, and really liked it.  I knew more about GR going in, and it did not disappoint in the least.

Both are all-time great hang-outs though.  Lake CDA can be stared at all day from Gozzer, and the "temporary clubhouse" area with the outdoor bar around a tree is really neat.  Martis is in a great location with the clubhouse atop a huge volcanic outcropping with any amenity a visiting golf group or family could desire, including a dedicated lift to Northstar for wintertime.

So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 05:47:37 PM »
Thanks for sharing Ran.

This is GCA...so it should be "BY THE PULL OF MERLIN'S BEARD!!"

Martis and Gozzer are similar (and similarly excellent), but Gozzer is Martis that goes up to 11. 

Gozzer has the views, the visual wow factor, and a bit more strategy.  Martis has several holes that are less memorable, where Gozzer doesn't really have a clunker in the bunch.

I remember not knowing much about MC going in, and really liked it.  I knew more about GR going in, and it did not disappoint in the least.

Both are all-time great hang-outs though.  Lake CDA can be stared at all day from Gozzer, and the "temporary clubhouse" area with the outdoor bar around a tree is really neat.  Martis is in a great location with the clubhouse atop a huge volcanic outcropping with any amenity a visiting golf group or family could desire, including a dedicated lift to Northstar for wintertime.

Brad,

Good to know, as I too felt Martis was pretty decent overall.  So it's encouraging to hear Gozzer would be at a similar level or higher even.

Gozzer Ranch ... one day
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 10:04:33 PM »
I could be way off base here but do some of the bunkers have a Mackenzie look to them - I have only seen pictures of some of his courses but I see a Mackenzie influence.

David Davis

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 08:51:38 AM »
Another bump as I happened to visit Gozzer Ranch last week for the first time. It was only a 7.5 hour drive from my mom's house in Oregon so I thought why not and while I'm at it it allowed me to visit Gamble Sands and Wine Valley for a nice little tour with wonderful long drives through smoke from forest fires in the region.

I can't add to much to Ran's excellent review but to reconfirm his sentiments there. There is a lot to like about Gozzer and for me that started with being requested to meet my host at the Coeur d'Alene harbor for the boat ride transfer across the lake to Gozzer. A pretty amazing start to your day or stay for that matter. Gozzer is one of the best mountain courses I've had the pleasure of playing. I've actually not played all that many, though Wade Hampton and Mountain Top I have seen. Gozzer is way better than Mountain Top IMO. The routing and the variation of holes works really well. There are a lot of risk reward shots out there with a few short drivable par 4's some breathtaking 3's some reachable par 5's. It's definitely a course set up for fun with loads of scoring opportunities and while I'm not the Fazio expert I have seen all his courses that the rankings consider great. Gozzer is in my top 3 for sure along with Wade Hampton and Santapazienza.

The hole that Eric posted about Merlin's Beard was definitely one of my favorite holes and tee shots.

My host's son-in-law suckered me into going for gold on the par 4 4th hole after I had a lucky start with 3 straight birdies. From the tee it didn't feel right to me, kind of like the feeling of standing on the 17th at Crystal Downs when you see that tiny target and all the danger. I took a 7 iron there and let myself be talked into taking a driver and trying to hit a bit fade, my natural miss. Lesson here is if your mind and body are telling you to not do it, don't let anyone talk you into it. Only slightly pulled it and ended up dead as dead could be plugged in the back wall of this nasty bunker left of the green. Double....risk reward. It should of been 6 or 7 iron and a wedge. Hindsight is 20/20.

There are quite a few elevated tee shots which afford amazing views as the tour shows and a couple really nice infinity greens. The greens were running very fast give the dry temps and there are some crazy contours and challenging pin positions which also help make the course enjoyable.

It's a tough walk to be fair and my nearly 80 year old host took a cart as did his son in law. I walked most in the heat but even broke down and hitched a ride on a few occasions. I wouldn't really call it an easy walk, too many steep downhill sections for me. Yes, downhill, at my age (48 for the record) the downhill parts hurt my knees while the uphill, even steep uphill climbs are no issue.

In the end, I have to say, another course I'd really love to play again and for me that says a lot, a lot more than I can say about Mountain Top for example.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

AChao

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 07:59:19 PM »
I loved this course as well!  Gozzer and Wade Hampton are my 2 favorite Fazio courses.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back