News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Controversial trees that actually make the hole better
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2018, 12:13:22 PM »
What do you guys think of the trees in the fairway at CPC 17?

The little grove of trees on 17 are fascinating. The one and only time I played it my playing partner hit the ball right behind the trees and hit a hooking three iron out over the ocean and onto the green. It was the best shot of his life. This came after he he hit ten slices on 16 into the ocean. I had to give him some golf balls so he could finish. The shot he hit on 17 was one of my golf balls.

The trees make the hole memorable but no one would ever design the hole that way today.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

corey miller

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2018, 12:53:27 PM »

We could have an honest difference Tommy but is does "memorable" mean good?

I would prefer that the  dozens of competent judicious golfers have the opportunity to play a shot flirting with the hazard than this once in a lifetime thrill.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2018, 03:09:07 PM »

We could have an honest difference Tommy but is does "memorable" mean good?

I would prefer that the  dozens of competent judicious golfers have the opportunity to play a shot flirting with the hazard than this once in a lifetime thrill.

Memorable does not necessarily mean good. I wouldn't remove the trees but I don't think the hole would suffer if they were removed.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2018, 08:03:24 PM »
I quite like it. I normally dislike trees affecting play on golf courses, but when a beautiful specimen tree like this is used intelligently it can be a lovely thing.
I agree with this, pretty much. Most of the time trees aren't used to good effect, but occasionally a single tree "works."

Now I'm off to find a topic discussing the trees on the left side of the 15th at Augusta National.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Kevin Jackson

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2018, 10:12:13 PM »

The first controversial tree that always comes to mind for me is on the par 3 8th at Bethpage Black.  With a relatively flat putting surface, the tree forces significant thought from an elevated tee and makes the hole much more difficult. Limbs overhang the right side of the green and make it very hard for any shot other than a fade to get anywhere close to the right half of the surface.  Does it make it better? Not sure. But it does make the hole harder and less straightforward.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2018, 11:59:13 PM »
What the tree on the par three 13th at Golf de Morfontaine? Depending on the pin it can be in the way.
St. John of the Cross

Lukas Michel

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2018, 07:08:43 PM »
Metropolitan GC 17th hole. Horrible trees, but if you were going to make an argument to keep them, they make the hole more interesting by making the angle from the left (nearer the fairway trap) better.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 07:23:31 PM by Lukas Michel »

Tim Martin

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2018, 07:42:35 PM »
I like the two live oaks that are about forty yards out which may or may not front the green at number three at Kiawah Ocean depending on your angle of approach and pin position. A vexing hole for sure.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back