News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JMEvensky

Re: European Ryder Cup team
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2018, 12:16:39 PM »

The question is then why did one group perform better than the other group ? Or to put it another way, why do Europe regularly outplay the US ? My own pet theory for what it’s worth, is that it’s the chip on the shoulder that drives on the Europeans. Starting with Seve (there was a man who could bear a grudge !) they have had a point to prove. Initially it was lack of access to the US tour and the US majors and now you would probably call it lack of recognition.   

I agree (especially the Seve part) --it's just this simple.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2018, 12:20:14 PM »

Case in point was Sam Torrance. There was a guy who was a stalwart of the European Tour for over 20 years; who was in Europes top ten ten times; who was runner up in the Order of Merit a couple of times winning over 20 times on tour; who was in 8 Ryder Cup teams as a player and as Captain once (winning more than he lost); and yet who only got to play in the Masters 4 times, the US Open 3 times and the PGA 6 times. 

Niall

He writes about just how much the Ryder Cup meant to him in his autobiography.  He admits he played much better in RC years ensuring his place in the team, something that would not always have been the case in years in between. If I recall correctly it was his love of the event not 'hate' for the opponents that motivated him (but perhaps he would say that....)

Perhaps Sean is more American than he realises.  Maybe for lots of Yanks it is just an exhibition. But as someone wrote above, try telling that to Seve or Sam.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2018, 12:23:39 PM »
i think you guys are one to something.

While I think both teams genuinely care about doing well and winning, I think it runs a little deeper for the Europeans...for whatever reasons/motivations those may be...

Thomas Dai

Re: European Ryder Cup team New
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2018, 02:31:33 PM »
Currently available on social media.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 05:27:51 AM by Thomas Dai »

Niall C

« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2018, 07:41:21 AM »

Case in point was Sam Torrance. There was a guy who was a stalwart of the European Tour for over 20 years; who was in Europes top ten ten times; who was runner up in the Order of Merit a couple of times winning over 20 times on tour; who was in 8 Ryder Cup teams as a player and as Captain once (winning more than he lost); and yet who only got to play in the Masters 4 times, the US Open 3 times and the PGA 6 times. 

Niall

He writes about just how much the Ryder Cup meant to him in his autobiography.  He admits he played much better in RC years ensuring his place in the team, something that would not always have been the case in years in between. If I recall correctly it was his love of the event not 'hate' for the opponents that motivated him (but perhaps he would say that....)

Perhaps Sean is more American than he realises.  Maybe for lots of Yanks it is just an exhibition. But as someone wrote above, try telling that to Seve or Sam.

Tony

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there wasn't any hate. Torrance was a big buddy of Trevino's if I remember. I think it was basically his chance to shine.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back