News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Much is said about the soft greens that are running slow. But does the grass itself play a big role?
AKA Mayday

mike_malone

Re: Are bentgrass greens the easiest? Something that I think as I watch BMW.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 04:32:37 PM »
I’m no agronomist for sure but I play just down the road from Aronimink and we switched to bent from bent/poa and I think there is less resistance for bent.
AKA Mayday

Alan FitzGerald CGCS MG

Re: Are bentgrass greens the easiest? Something that I think as I watch BMW.
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 08:49:41 AM »
Maintenance controls the speed and the roll.

A good poa can be the superior turf to putt on but for most of the year it wants to die.... so bentgrass is a better alternative for consistent conditions. Generally bentgrass lays over so can be more grainy whereas poa usually "stands up" better. Saying that poa adapts quickly so it can have many different characteristics (even on one green) so not all are upright growing.

Topdressing, thatch management, mowing height and moisture are the biggest contributors to smoothness, trueness and speed no matter the grass type.
Golf construction & maintenance are like creating a masterpiece; Da Vinci didn't paint the Mona Lisa's eyes first..... You start with the backdrop, layer on the detail and fine tune the finished product into a masterpiece

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back