News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob Simons

Recommendations near Salem, Mass.
« on: September 10, 2018, 06:30:37 PM »
I’ll be staying in nearby Danvers this weekend for a wedding. I have all Saturday morning available. Have struck out at one public course, it’s booked. Our pro called up to Ferncroft for me but they have a member/member all day. Any recommendations? I’m thinking access to Myopia Hunt is most likey a pipe dream.

WilliamN

Re: Recommendations near Salem, Mass.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 09:04:00 PM »
Bob - After myopia, the more interesting privates in that area would be Essex, Salem, and Kernwood.  I suspect on a Saturday morning, you’d have a difficult time getting access to any of them - but all are a joy to play and worth asking your pro.  I read the intro post where you suggest you may have joined Philmont.  If so, maybe have your pro try Kernwood.  I know Philmont was historically a predominantly Jewish club and Kernwood still remains that way - I think it is a rather underrated Donald Ross design in the shadows of Essex and Salem

I unfortunately don’t have any recommendations on public courses that direction, as my public golf in Boston has been more west and south.  I’d also caution you, though, as we are in the heart of aeration season in Mass. Conditions right now are particularly interesting, as some courses aerated and then we got with really hot weather and that wreaked havoc on conditioning.

Bob Simons

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 09:08:19 PM »
Thank you William, I will forward those to him tomorrow. I appreciate the feedback.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 02:17:04 AM »
Hi Bob,

Unfortunately all of the privates are going to be tough on a Saturday morning, Tedesco too (where I belong).  We don't even allow non-members to play (only with a member...sorry, I'm away!) until the 10:50 time on weekends.

My recommendations having grown up in nearby Marblehead are Beverly Golf & Tennis or Gannon Municipal in Lynn...short of driving up to Portsmouth CC, a decent RTJ course.  While Beverly and Gannon may be crowded, I'm sure you'd get out as a single at some point if you showed up early.

Both Beverly Gin & Tonic and Gannon are Wayne Stiles courses with decent conditions, golden-age features, and a great deal of quirk.  Beverly was build for United Shoe, the massive former shoe factory nearby, and Gannon was a WPA project, and has a neat stone-masonry clubhouse to boot.  Beverly would be my choice of the two.

So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Bob Simons

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 10:16:03 AM »
Thanks Brad!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back