News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Bowden Golf Course, Macon Ga..
« on: February 24, 2018, 08:31:27 PM »
Charlie Rymer does a good job with this article on Bowden Golf Course History.  We plan to  close the course for renovation the week after Masters. 

http://www.golfchannel.com/video/bowen-golf-club-historic-contribution-integration/
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

BCowan

Re: Bowden Golf Course, Macon Ga..
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 11:16:59 AM »
Mike,

Charlie did an excellent job!  I'm glad you are on board with the project!  Embarrassed that more on this board haven't posted, but I guess you need to spend $150M on a muni to garner any hype...

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 02:17:14 PM »
Mike,

I'd love to hear more about your plans for the renovation. As a historic property, is there much interest in restoring any lost features, or will this be more of a brush up on the current routing? Looking at an aerial from the late 50's, It looks like it could have been an interesting course with wide fairways and small protected greens. Some of the bunkering back then looks pretty neat. Especially on 3, 5, and was their a very large bunker behind the 7th?

The back to back very short combo of 14 and 15 seem like they could have a lot of interesting potential as well.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 03:05:41 PM »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Mike_Young

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 07:29:20 PM »

http://www.golfchannel.com/video/bowen-golf-club-historic-contribution-integration/

The link is down for me. I did google it, but got the same link.

Michel,
I just clicked the link in your post above and it opened...I dont know....

Mike_Young

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 07:31:27 PM »
Mike,

I'd love to hear more about your plans for the renovation. As a historic property, is there much interest in restoring any lost features, or will this be more of a brush up on the current routing? Looking at an aerial from the late 50's, It looks like it could have been an interesting course with wide fairways and small protected greens. Some of the bunkering back then looks pretty neat. Especially on 3, 5, and was their a very large bunker behind the 7th?

The back to back very short combo of 14 and 15 seem like they could have a lot of interesting potential as well.

Ben,
It can be an interesting project.  Plans call for tree removal, new fairway widths, bunkers, new greens and rework of the tees...as you mention, holes 3, 13, 14 and 15 can be neat short holes...will send some photos as it progresses...

BHoover

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 07:43:55 PM »
Are tee times available on either GolfNow or TeeOff.com?

But good luck with the renovation project, in all seriousness.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 07:45:43 PM by BHoover »

Mike_Young

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 07:51:07 PM »
Are tee times available on either GolfNow or TeeOff.com?

But good luck with the renovation project, in all seriousness.
Thanks.  Presently they are but they will not be when it reopens....you can book tee ties via it's own webpage only... ;D

V_Halyard

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 07:58:47 PM »
Charlie Rymer does a good job with this article on Bowden Golf Course History.  We plan to  close the course for renovation the week after Masters. 

Nice work by Charlie and I am looking forward to visiting here and other places with you in April!

V

« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 08:07:36 PM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Mike_Young

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 09:03:29 PM »

Nice work by Charlie and I am looking forward to visiting here and other places with you in April!

V

Me too!
Think Prichard will show up?

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 08:55:03 AM »

Mike Young,

Finally got in from a different computer. Very cool and please keep us updated here or on FB...
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 10:08:26 AM »
Mike,
How has progress on the course been going? Reading an article from earlier this year it sounds like the course should be reopened already?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back