News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Musings from links season
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2024, 12:20:01 PM »
More musings from first day at The Open…

I’d say lateral misses of putts are 2-1 in favor of high side misses. These guys are conditioned for putts to dive as they lose speed and that just doesn’t happen on links greens.

I’m a bit surprised at how many players are missing the first fairway. Hurting crosswinds are a bear no matter the level of player.

If my first few plays back stateside are any indication, adjusting and readjusting from links golf isn’t something you can do in a matter of days.

The fairways aren’t generous so I am not at all surprised given the wind…which isn’t strong at all tbf.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Musings from links season
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2024, 08:27:23 AM »
More musings from first day at The Open…

I’d say lateral misses of putts are 2-1 in favor of high side misses. These guys are conditioned for putts to dive as they lose speed and that just doesn’t happen on links greens.

I’m a bit surprised at how many players are missing the first fairway. Hurting crosswinds are a bear no matter the level of player.

If my first few plays back stateside are any indication, adjusting and readjusting from links golf isn’t something you can do in a matter of days.

Here’s a musing on that first hole at Troon:

Look at how genuinely strategic the 1st pin position is today, Saturday.

People be-moan some of these Championship courses (and you hear heavy criticism of the “sameness” of the first 4 at Troon) but - broken record alert - they need far more thought & strategy than many of the more heavily contoured darlings.

Thomas Dai

Re: Musings from links season New
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2024, 10:35:27 AM »
Look at how genuinely strategic the 1st pin position is today, Saturday.
People be-moan some of these Championship courses (and you hear heavy criticism of the “sameness” of the first 4 at Troon) but - broken record alert - they need far more thought & strategy than many of the more heavily contoured darlings.
Front hole locations when the putting surfaces are firm especially when downwind are wonderful. Require not only skilful shot execution but also the use of the 5 1/2 inches between the ears, which is just how things should be.
Atb

PS: nice use of a wee hump at the front of the 1st green. An underused feature (although one that shouldn’t be overused).
« Last Edit: July 20, 2024, 11:00:30 AM by Thomas Dai »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back