News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Re: It's no longer the "Tom Morris Golf Shop"
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2018, 09:49:32 AM »
Dave

Agree with your comments other than the quality of the merchandise which looked high end to me whenever I had a wander through it. I'm not sure whether Geoff is in favour of some sort of museum with an Old Tom waxwork in the corner or just the retention of the Tom Morris name/brand ? Personally I think the existing museum works well and as for retaining the name/brand, wouldn't it be sad if golfers came to know Old Tom as just a logo on a piece of knitwear rather than the golfer, craftsman, architect and historically important figure that he was.

Niall

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2018, 01:58:46 PM »

Whilst things change and move on I do think that it is important to recognise and acknowledge the past. Old Tom Morris was one of the most influential figures the game of golf has ever seen and the R&A has a responsibility to preserve the game heritage for future generations. I have no problem with the change to the shop or the name but would hope that along with a blue plaque a mention of the buildings previous history is mentioned. Maybe they have already done this but if not then it is pretty shabby.

Jon

Steve Lang

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2018, 03:14:09 PM »
Remember looking at the place in 1996, but isn't there enough OTM stuff in the museum?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Dave McCollum

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2018, 01:28:39 AM »
I know so little about this topic, I really have no business spouting off about it.  I agree with those that support honoring TM’s place in the game and its history.  I probably would have visited his authentically restored workshop during my sole visit to SA.  I went through the museum with great interest and enthusiasm.  Earlier in this thread was a link to a photo that showed the TM merchandise shop was relocated a couple of doors down the road, leading to my comments that the functions of the real estate were pretty much the same. 

Now if we were discussing my sentimental attachments to the pubs, that’s a different matter.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back