News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Frank Sekulic

San Fran Bay 10/18
« on: October 14, 2017, 07:46:11 PM »
I am going to be in San Francisco on Wednesday, any suggestions as where to play. I was planning on driving down to Santa Cruz to play Pasatiempo but, they are having a tournament that day.

I have played the Presido and Harding Park in the past and while I enjoyed them both, I was looking for something different.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

David_Tepper

Re: San Fran Bay 10/18
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 09:19:07 PM »
Frank -

With the wildfires still raging in Napa-Sonoma, the Bay Area is not an especially pleasant place to be right now. The air quality here currently is as bad as it is in Bejing. I doubt it will be much improved by Wednesday.   

If you are looking for "something different" from the tree-lined, parkland courses of Harding and the Presidio, you might want to try the Metropolitan, on the south side of the Oakland Airport. It is a links-like course, with virtually no trees at all. The wind can be a factor there at times. Green fees are quite reasonable.

https://www.playmetro.com/

DT

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 10:58:43 PM »
Metro is a good call.  Another is Monarch Bay which is just a few minutes south of Metro.

It is Fall aeration time in the Bay Area, so check on that before you book a round someplace.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Mark Kiely

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 01:21:13 AM »
If you want to maintain the Dr. Mac theme from Pasa, you could play Sharp Park in Pacifica. Not the most interesting course, but it does have a hole or two right along the ocean (although there's a big breakwater that prevents you from seeing the ocean) and it's super affordable.

I haven't played it myself, but some friends of mine loved The Links at Bodega Harbour earlier this year.
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Tim Leahy

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 03:20:47 AM »
Leave a little earlier and play Pebble if they are not aerating. US Open is  2019 summer. Spyglass or Poppy Hills are great. If time is an issue Halfmoon Bay
Ocean course is nice.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 03:28:43 AM by Tim Leahy »
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 01:39:03 PM »
Assuming you want to stay south of Marin and Sonoma, I might suggest:

1. Crystal Springs - near 280 and 92 and a VERY scenic golf course with elevation changes and spectacular views.
2. Glen Eagles - 9 holer in San Bruno done by Mackenzie and recently worked on by George Waters.
3. Half Moon Bay Ocean Course - a pseudo-links course on the Pacific. Done by Art Hills, it has some fun holes and the last 4 holes are stunning right on the water.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 01:54:01 PM »
Ian, Gleneagles is in SF and opened in 1962. 

Crystal Springs is a good suggestion.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 03:38:58 PM »
If Option 1 was Pasatiempo, I'm not sure that a lot of the courses mentioned so far are going to be satisfactory alternatives. I'd suggest the Ocean Course at Half Moon Bay (not the Old) or Cinnabar Hills for CCFAD type experiences. Obviously the Monterey Peninsula courses or Bayonet Black Horse if you want to drive farther.

For a less expensive, "Hey I'm playing golf" kind of course, the ones mentioned previously are fine, but none of them are amazing.

astavrides

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 05:21:57 PM »
half moon bay-ocean

SL_Solow

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 06:17:18 PM »
It depends on what you want.  Pasatiempo sets a very high bar architecturally.  Half Moon Bay Ocean is on a lovely sight but architecturally it is a wasted opportunity.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 07:12:10 PM »
Pacific Grove back nine

Mike Schott

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 09:01:31 PM »
On the East Bay side, a sister to Poppy Hills is Poppy Ridge in Livermore. It's on hilly property but there are some nice holes. It's a 27 hole property. And in Hollister (south of San Jose and just off of US-101) is San Juan Oaks a very nice Fred Couples/Gene Bates design. There are some excellent holes there, especially 11-17 if I remember correctly.

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 09:20:08 AM »
Depending on how long ago you went to Presidio, it may be worth going to check it out again. Suny/Zokol has been consulting them and they have done quite a bit of work in house, the course is much better now than it was 5 years ago.

Tilden Park in the East Bay can be slow, but if you're playing during the week it's a wonderfully quirky golf course with a pretty cool routing and some good holes.
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

JLahrman

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 09:38:03 AM »

Presidio is definitely worth a play in my opinion. Quirky with some fun holes, and a very SF-style experience.

Tilden is also quirky but kind of fun, though I wouldn't have it too high on your list.

Along the East Bay, tee to green I like Monarch Bay better than Metro, though Metro's greens are more interesting. Both are worth a try.

I wouldn't drive to Poppy Ridge...if you're on limited time, there actually isn't much inland that I would drive to.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 10:55:14 AM »
Play Lincoln Park, its right there in san fran.  Conditioning is a bit iffy, but you will enjoy the setting and quirky nature of alot of the holes!

Frank Sekulic

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 11:59:09 AM »
Thanks for all the help but, I decided to follow Cliff Hamm's advice and drive down the coast and play Pacific Grove as I am staying in Santa Cruz and playing Pasatiempo(cant't wait) on Thursday and thought it was much easier then fighting the Bay Are traffic at rush hour.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back