News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Shetland Golf?
« on: September 23, 2017, 09:27:33 AM »
Anyone played any of the courses on Shetland?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

MJohnson

Re: Shetland Golf?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 04:02:29 PM »
Yes, I was there in May this year.

I played at Shetland GC, Asta GC and Whalsay GC.

Shetland is set in a valley and has many drainage ditches featuring in the design. It can be damp on some fairways after heavy rain but the layout was good fun.

Asta is a 9 hole course built by someone who just loved golf. His family have continued to run it and I was chatting to a couple of them as they painted the clubhouse. We had been out playing and needed the hot chocolate as it had been a bit cool !! They told us about the surrounding area and history. It is on a very narrow stretch of land between the road and a loch. There are two orientations of 9 holes. One is used for the first two weeks of the month and the second for the last two. There is one hole of 60 yards, which is set blind and low by the loch. It is only 7 yards wide and approx 14 yards long. Wonderful

Whalsay is a wonderful course set around a headland with excellent views and superb holes.

I will sort out some photos and post a separate thread.
2019 courses - Enville, Wharton Park,

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 04:46:32 PM »
Was up in Shetland many moons ago and recall passing Shetland GC and seeing all the drainag ditches. I also recall not seeing a tree the whole time I was there! A distinctly windy place with plenty of peat cutting, bit like the far west of Ireland.
Whalsay GC looks amazing - http://www.whalsaygolfclub.co.uk/ - needs an entry when the Confidential Guide gets updated next! :) - https://www.instantstreetview.com/@60.379171,-0.925197,214.71h,-28.29p,1z
Atb

Andrew Simpson

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 06:48:50 PM »
Some 30 years ago in the early days of Whalsay the Shetland and Whalsay lads referred to the Whalsay fairways as being indicated by "Shetland Roses"
 I had this picturesque vision of flowers blowing in the breeze and thinking of the effort it took, it turned out that Shetland Roses were empty McEwan's Export cans!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back