News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Stephen Northrup

Cullen GC storm damage
« on: September 19, 2017, 11:36:41 PM »
Cullen GC on Scotland's Moray Coast took a major hit from a storm last week -- significant flooding and landslides  on the holes bordering the bluffs. They've set up a crowdfunding page to help with projected restoration costs -- http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/cullen-links-golf-course-storm-recovery/

I played the course last summer based on Tom Doak's review and some comments on this discussion board, and am glad I did. Thought those of you who enjoyed it too would want to know about the storm and the opportunity to help with the restoration.

Jon Wiggett

Re: Cullen GC storm damage
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 10:46:37 AM »

It probably looks worse than it is. Seems the main problem was the track from on top of the cliffs was washed through water being channelled down it. They do need to find out why this happened. This will certainly cost a bit and so the crowd funding is a nice/good idea. As for the course with a decent operator on a digger and a few people with brushes and spades it won't take long to clean up the turf areas.

Jon

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 10:50:26 AM »
Jon -

If most of the water sitting on the turf is salt water from the sea, how much damage is likely to be done to the turf from the salt that is being absorbed into the ground?

I know that was a big concern when Golspie suffered a high-tide surge 4-6 years ago.

DT

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 10:55:22 AM »

David,

looking at the video it looks more like run off from the track as the water is only lying around it and were it water coming over the sea wall then the holes beyond the stacks would also have some which they do not. Were it to be salt water I do not think it would do any long term damage though.

Jon

Stephen Northrup

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 11:09:56 AM »
The club's Facebook page has pictures of work ongoing to repair and remedy: https://www.facebook.com/CullenGolfClub/?rf=149984821724630

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back