News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

In the fall of 2014, Jon Scott, owner of Gull Lake View resort, which lies 75 miles west of Detroit, called Renaissance Golf Design and asked to speak to its principal, Tom Doak. Scott was looking to add more golf to the resort's five (!) courses, most of which had been designed by family members. His family owned, family run model has run laps around other places for decades and weathered economic down cycles thanks to prudent, on-hands management.

It certainly made sense for the Michigan based Scott family to reach out to Renaissance Design which is headquartered in Traverse City, a 2 ½ hour drive north of the resort. Their property (a barren, recently-cleared orchard sited on a ridge) where they were looking to add a course is one of the highest points in Kalamazoo County and offers up several grand vistas. The old orchard was full of potential, quiet on the southern end before heading into the more wild and wooly terrain north. Even better, this opportunity represented a core course with no housing.

The rub was that the project overlapped with The Loop in northern Michigan, which was already underway and to which Doak was committed. His solution? Doak suggested that he step aside and let the rest of Renaissance Golf Design build Stoatin Brae. That's a win-win - you get the in-the-field guys of world class designs like Barnbougle and Tara Iti at an attractive price. That kind of common sensibility has benefited the resort from day one when Daryl and Letha Scott built the family's first course in the early 1960s. Plus, since Jon’s family possessed construction know-how, Renaissance didn’t have to supervise the build in quite the same manner as they generally do.

A contract was signed with Renaissance knowing that Doak wouldn't be involved. Instead, Tom's associates Eric Iverson, Don Placek, Brian Schneider and Brian Slawnik routed the course together, and then shaped the greens and bunkers, just as they do for all of Tom's designs. Stoatin Brae is their course and ground was broken in 2015 with the course opening in June 2017. Joe Andriole just played it and considers the stretch of 8-15 some of the best golf he has seen in a long time. His description of the pacing of the course and the photos contained in this Feature Interview stir memories of Tom's now defunct High Pointe.

This spring Tom Doak conducted an exit interview with his four men before Stoatin Brae opened. That is this month's Feature Interview. Don Placek's neat hole drawings are an added illustrative touch.

Here is the link: http://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/feature-interview-with-eric-iverson-don-placek-brian-schneider-and-brian-slawnik/

Hope you enjoy it!

Best,

Ran
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 04:25:34 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Terry Lavin

Great interview about a great career opportunity for all involved. Another good reason to visit my pal in Kalamazoo!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Carl Rogers

I am going to have to go Michigan and play golf.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 12:27:18 PM by Carl Rogers »
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tom_Doak

It kind of sucks to see that while the thread about a recent profile of me gets 100 posts, this one has gotten two so far.  I guess it doesn't help that the boys aren't here to answer questions.

The reason I did their "exit interview" was that in the two previous attempts I'd seen, they are so careful not to step on each others' toes that they came across like pro athletes not wanting to say anything wrong.  I figured with me asking the questions they'd be a bit more open, and I got to teach them a bit about how to answer, but they still pass the credit on to one another a lot.  It's a very tight-knit group and that is a huge key to my own success that doesn't always make my "profiles".

Ross Harmon

Great interview Tom and team! I had the pleasure of playing Stoatin Brae last weekend - it's a fantastic course and the team should be congratulated for their work! As has been noted, holes 8-15 are exceptional and the others are no slouches. The back is significantly shorter (3,1xx yds vs 3,6xx on the front from the back tees), but there's a few extremely tough pins we played on the back last Saturday, especially on #12 (front right)! A very unique halfway house too... I'll save that surprise for those who visit.  :)

Peter Pratt

I echo the praise for Stoatin Brae. In addition to the 8-15 stretch, I'd add #2 and #7. The fairways have some growing in to do, but the greens were immaculate.

BCowan

Thanks for doing this write up Ran.  SW MI is vastly underrated for very high value quality public golf.  With the addition of Stoatin Brae and the 3 DeVries publics around Grand Rapids and world class breweries it's a no brainer for anyone who isn't a notcher.  I look forward to reading this write up tonight.  I also hope one can be done for Diamond Springs, which is deserving.  Plan on doing a Walking Gathering at Staotin/Battle Creek 2018/2019. 

Carl Rogers

I repeat what I wrote on the "New Essay on Tom Doak".
"My 3 days at the Bay of Dreams, in January of 2006 with Tom, Brian & Brian was without question the highlight of my otherwise very modest golfing life.  On site, once Tom, Brian & Brian realized that I had no intention of "consulting" (part of the official prize), they all were very patient and informative with my questions about the project and their immediate work efforts.  I just tagged along and watched."

Tom & Team put up with me taking some pictures of them .... but I did that for only one day.  I still keep one of those pictures of them framed in my workspace.

The team chemistry that I witnessed is beyond any price tag.

Carl Rogers

One more comment and I will finish. 
Possibly re-working Tom's older courses:  Is there something to do there?
I live 10 minutes from Riverfront .... at some point current management (I think, but do not know) will look at the investment needed and look for a way out.  Bunker maintenance is in sad shape and quantity may need reduction.

Brett Hochstein

The team chemistry that I witnessed is beyond any price tag.

There's no doubting that, Carl.  I've learned a ton from these guys--not just about machine operation, design, or construction, but also about how to conduct yourself both within the team and with the client. 

Stoatin Brae is a great addition to Michigan public golf, which for the most part is a series of missed opportunities, unfortunately.  It is full of architectural variety and interest, keeps it simple maintenance-wise, has a lot of great natural texture, and lays beautifully over the landscape.  It is a very enjoyable round, and the 19th hole overlooking the Kalamazoo Valley is a great spot to finish the day.

I'd like to make a note of the 1st hole because no one ever seems to mention it, and I find it to be quite clever.  The right half of the fairway is a plateau, and the left slopes down and away with a foreground bunker guarding it.  If you play safely right and don't hit it well enough to get to the far edge of the plateau, you are left with a blind second shot to the small, slightly crowned green.  Meanwhile, if you take on the left side and manage to stay in play, the reward is a clear view of the green and a much more comfortable shot.  It is this simple use of land and visual strategy that makes the hole as well as the rest of the course stand out.

"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

Ronald Montesano

Tom, you hit the nail. You are a known and accessible commodity. The four horsemen are not as known nor as accessible. I suspect that, with future plays and reports from the GCA fellowship, that will change. Perhaps one or more of them will sign on for the occasional appearance on GCA.

One of the difficult challenges of a discussion board is to include pertinent links to associated threads. Many sites do it arti-intuitively, while others depend on humans to physically place links. This board is among the latter.

I hope that this 4-man interview from 2016 contributes something to the understanding of the process of developing this golf course: http://buffalogolfer.com/wordpress/2016-interview-series-stoatin-brae-architectural-foursome/

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tom_Doak

Tom, you hit the nail. You are a known and accessible commodity. The four horsemen are not as known nor as accessible. I suspect that, with future plays and reports from the GCA fellowship, that will change. Perhaps one or more of them will sign on for the occasional appearance on GCA.

Ron:

They're not bringing on the Apocalypse, so I'm not fond of your "four horsemen" metaphor.  I've always thought of Eric, Brian and Brian more as the Three Musketeers ... they are a formidable team that travels around.  Don's skill set is a bit different but he spends much more time in Traverse City than the others.

Like a band, though, people go to the front man to do most of the interviews.  And no matter how much I say about the other guys, their contributions tend to get short shrift in most articles, because few writers have any idea how a golf course really gets put together.  From the writers' perspective, the story is much easier for readers if it's mostly about me, and that better fits the narrative they've been writing for years about Nicklaus or Ross or MacKenzie or whomever.

Doug Wright

These are the sort of pieces I really enjoy on GolfClubAtlas.com, where we can get inside the heads of the people doing the work* to understand what they are thinking and doing. We’re lucky to have something comparable here in Denver with CommonGround, which Eric had a big hand in, and similar subtleties exist. I look forward to a visit up there in Michigan sometime.

*I know that can be a scary place…
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Blake Conant

Eric's quote about the 12th hole unlocking the routing deserves a bit more attention.  Making 9-15 work (and room for a halfway house) couldn't work without 12 hugging the north end of the property.  It's a hell of a corner to get into and out of, and it's an oddly shaped parcel to make any east to west hole work.  They managed to do both pretty elegantly.  A simple, clever, functional (and probably underrated) routing. 

And there's also a really good set of greens.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 10:38:25 PM by Blake Conant »

Carl Rogers

Is no. 8 at Stoatin Brae a less severe variation of no. 6 at Pacific Dunes?

Blake Conant

Is no. 8 at Stoatin Brae a less severe variation of no. 6 at Pacific Dunes?

Brian had a variation of a hole at sunningdale in mind when building it. I don't remember which one... perhaps someone will notice a similarity and chime in.

Edit: I heard Zac Blir referred to as a "golf architecture savant" the other day. Maybe he is, but i know very few people who are deserving of such a compliment. One of those people is Brian Schneider, who can recall minute details about hundreds of greens he's seen all over the world. And on top of just being able to recall it, he can build it or manipulate it on a bulldozer to fit the piece of ground on which he's working.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 01:38:47 PM by Blake Conant »

PCCraig

A very nice interview and discussion. Thanks for putting it together. It's awesome to see four professionals work in such an unselfish manner, all in the name of the best product.

The golf course looks awesome. I would love to see it the next time I am in the area.
H.P.S.

Ronald Montesano

I had considered "Gang of Four" initially, but decided on the Horsemen metaphor.

One might argue that Renaissance Golf is apocalyptic in its annihilation of preconceived notions of golf course architecture and terrain structure, but one might have better things to do with his time, too.

I honestly did not expect anyone to take that appellation as a literal metaphor, so thank you, Tom. You made me smile tonight.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jud_T

Played the course today.  A really good set of greens and some very good fairway bunkering as well.  The course needs to grow in a bit, but this is to be expected of a one month old baby.  As mentioned, the land in the middle of the course is surprisingly good, but it's the quieter holes on flatter ground where the routing, bunker placement and shaping really shines.  Can't wait to see it again in a year or two.  These guys have done themselves proud.  Congrats to all involved.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 10:30:40 PM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jeff Bergeron

I had the chance to play it today. The thought that kept going through my head was 'if I had the wherewithal to built my own private course (which I don't) this would be the template.
It's so fair, beautiful, on a great piece of land routed superbly and an absolute blast to play. it could be played 100 times and you would still discover more of it's interest.
I didn't save my scorecard but I played it at roughly 6300 yards and the rating was 69.2, 119 or there abouts..it's the toughest 119 in America but who cares. So much fun!!
Going back to play it for 3 straight days soon. And yes.............the halfway house might be the best ever if they put a BBQ out there. The 19th hole on top of the hill is perfectly situated as well. Well done boys!!!!!

Tom_Doak

Jeff:

Nice to see your post as we have 54 people headed to Stoatin Brae for the Renaissance Cup on Monday and Tuesday.  [Let's hope the weather forecast is wrong!]

I played The Loop today and I think it has the same 119 slope rating.  If Stoatin Brae is tougher than The Loop I will be surprised.  But with no o.b., no water, and wide fairways, slope ratings always come out lower than they should for my courses.  They just don't have a rating category for when you are in the short grass but you still can't hold the green from that angle.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back