News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

During the hot Summer of 2016 we travelled about in France and I got to visit three very nice clubs. Haven’t looked at these photos again until now, so excuse me if memory is a little shaky

Golf de Granville claims to be the only authentic links course in France. Certainly Chiberta moves further from the sea and I’ve yet to visit le Touquet so this may well be correct. Harry Colt laid the course out in 1912 and the website also mentions Alison as involved. Colt was busy in France that year, also at Hardelot and St Cloud, Paris. The Club was very receptive to drop in guests and I expect it gets a lot of extra income in July and August.

A word about the turf.   
I understand that because of its location the use of pesticides is forbidden, that and the natural irrigation which had been absent for a few weeks meant we were playing an entirely natural course. If the prospect of your ball sitting in a divot or on a weed horrifies you then drive on by.   I enjoyed this change of conditioning but equally understand why a local members of such a club might prefer to have irrigation available.  For the rest of us a real chance to see how links golf courses used to play in hot summers.   The greens are irrigated and were perfectly fine.

The scorecard uses Metres and I’ve added 10% to the scorecard to show hole lengths in yards.  ON a few holes there are tiger tees  bringing the course to nearly 7000 yards, SSS 73.7 Slope 138.  Visitors will likely play 6200 71/130.  On some holes therefore I’ve given the Black and the Yellow distances

First  480  Par 5 480 yards
Relatively gentle ‘Colt’ style  opener

Bunker on left is 20 yrds short of green

2nd is a par 3 175 yards

looking back

3rd Par 4 340 yards

4th L-R dogleg. Play to the outside: Must be a beast off the tips 450 yards, dailies 100 yards shorter.
Approach

5th is 400 yards R-L dogleg.

Views towards St Malo and off screen to the left, Mont St Michel.

‘The brother’ lets rip!
6 430/385 yards

From the photo’s its apparent that a good no of holes play along corridors in the low  Dunes – but not all do and  it was not obvious or repetitive. It all felt very natural and enjoyable. Many fairways were flatish but there are interesting greensites.  The lack of focus for the drives on the overall low lying ground and the angles off the tees adds interest.

Next up my favourite hole, Lucky 7. The fairway wasn’t that obvious from the tee.
Par 2! 375 yards

Lovely raised green shaped to gather – if you can hit it. Did it’s job very well!

8 380/370 Slight dog leg R-L. yet another appealing hole. Turns around a pair of bunkers.

There are 18 yards between the bunker and the front of the green, a disguise feature seen a few times here.

9 Par 5 heads back towards the house,  530/511yards
Its fairly narrow and well bunkered.  OOB to the right protects a practice area.

Original routing
9 is now gone but looks like it’s the practice green today.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 06:15:39 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tom_Doak

Tony:

I was there last summer.  It was even more toasty and brown than in your photos!  Lovely spot.

Where did you find that original routing -- is it in their club history book?  They sent me the book a few years ago but I never looked back at it after visiting the course.  I'm not surprised at some of the changes, as there was more than one tee shot that felt like it started from a weird angle.

Niall C

Tony

Excellent stuff. Looks great. Only other comment I have is on the greens - it looks as though they have been brought in by a yard or so and could do with the cut being extended back out again. Perhaps they did it for agronomy reasons during a drought ?

Niall

Thomas Dai

Terrific Tony.
The ground conditions look fine to me. Proper links golf!
Here are some old b&w photos of early times at Granville with some colour now added.
atb

« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 10:58:45 AM by Thomas Dai »

John Mayhugh

Thanks for these, Tony. I really like the looks of some of the greens.
I've only made one golf trip to France, but we couldn't find a way to get to Granville. Made it as far as the Calvados coast, but opted for D-Day sites instead. But I'm still keen to visit.

Tony_Muldoon

Tom it was hanging on the wall! So were the following.
Colt’s sketches?  I think I’ve seen something similar before, but can’t remember where or when.

I'm pretty sure I saw a Club History?

Nice pics Thomas.  It looks like the starters hut next to first tee, is now gone.

Another showing 18 9(?) back in the day.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 04:00:30 PM by Tony_Muldoon »

Tony_Muldoon

10 Par 3 175/160.  Great challenge. Tough if you have to start here.

View from clubhouse terrace

Can’t see the water tower looking back!

11 A challenging Par 5, again with the fairway partially obscured. 610/480

12th is a  Par 3 205/190 – no photo’s?

Only Photo I have of 13 SI 1.  445/385
Even from the Yellows it’s a ball bustin hole!
I think this is a new green as it used to sit on the other side of the road. This one fits well.

Then you cross an internal road and I believe the next two holes are largely not original.

14 Par 5 515/470
OOB on the right. 

This green with its narrow entrance is not typical and it does Jar, BUT It’s a good one (perhaps on the right  course I’d call it great).

15 425/380

16 138/130 
Based on the plan above, this looks like the second half of the original par 4?

More idea of how steep the fall off.

17 looks more familiar R-L dogleg,  395/385

18  335Yards

« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 06:33:05 AM by Tony_Muldoon »

Tony_Muldoon

Lunch
Squid ring carbonara!

The course is better than it looks in the photo’s and in those conditions its hard to make the holes look as distinctive as they are.

So whilst I can’t give it more than a Doak 5, I would happily return or  plan a return visit to this area of France. Geographically its very close to well fancied courses on Guernsey and Jersey, which are reputedly little worlds of their own.  The north of Normandy  area is worth visiting too. Honfleur, Mont St Michel, Caen, The Bayeaux Tapestry and visiting the beaches where the WWW11 flotilla landed are all special (good call John).  Over the years I’ve been to several War Cemeteries, but the next day we visited a German one for more perspective. It really affects you seeing how many died before they saw 20 years. An experience that strangely I recommend as an essential experience.

A great start to the Vacances.  Next course 375 miles, due south.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 01:38:00 PM by Tony_Muldoon »

Mark Pearce

I know what you mean about essential experiences, Tony.  A couple of years ago we visited the Holocaust Museum in Berlin.  Horrific but utterly compelling and it has changed my thinking about life (and good and evil) for good.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Thomas Dai

Splendid tour Tony.
Looks like proper old fashioned, unpapered links with plenty of scope for the ground game.
Atb

John Mayhugh

Seems like one wouldn't be too happy having to start on the 10th. Cool greensite.

Wayne_Kozun

The Golf de Granville web site has some better quality scans of those Colt Sketches here:

https://www.golfdegranville.com/history/colts-style/#

Tony_Muldoon

An update, I've recieved the following from Stuart Hallet who has helped there since 2006 - to get it back to playing like a links. So many changes, some good, some bad, a lot of inhouse stuff that can be questioned. But all in all, it's not far off being a quality Links course, some quirk, and a rustic feel to the place.

We started in 2006 by cutting all conifer trees and hedges, and then by getting linksy turf back, working on bunkering etc.

The major changes came in the early 90's, the road cut the course in half, resulting in some lost holes that explains Tom's comments on strange playing angles, Hawtree added greens on 4, 6, 12, 13.
14th green was done later and I agree it needs more time to soften a bit. The brief was a tough green for a short par 5, that is the case, but maybe we could have done better on a few details, but it's never too late.

The latest major change is an artificial dune that separates the 9th and the driving range, no more trees, which makes a huge difference to the feel of the 9th hole.

So many things to say about Granville. I have many photos from over the years.

Sean_A

Spangles

Thanks for the tour.  I think the course looks good in a low key which sort of reminded me of Wimereux.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back