News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Charles Lund

Golf in Sweden
« on: September 27, 2015, 06:36:22 PM »
I'm considering a trip next summer to Ireland where I have been many times.  I am thinking about an alternative side trip which might include golf.  I've also been to Scotland and don't have much interest in trying to navigate the process of accessing courses in England.
I've done Ireland trips a number of ways and am considering something different to do as far as what I see on the way to and from Ireland.  Icelandair flies from Seattle and there are a number of options for where I can fly on to from Rekyavik or back from.

I am considering flying through Copenhagen on the way to and from Ireland so I can spend some time in Denmark and Sweden.  I am considering staying over near Malmo and maybe trying to play Fasterbo and a another course or two in that area if I can figure out an itinerary that works for me and where access is pretty straightforward. 

Does anyone have experience with that area?  I'd probably go there in late May or late June, depending on whether stop on the way to or from Ireland.

Thanks.

David_Tepper

Re: Golf in Sweden
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 07:24:57 PM »
"I've also been to Scotland and don't have much interest in trying to navigate the process of accessing courses in England."

Charles L. -

To the best of my knowledge and experience, accessing golf courses in England is no more difficult than it is in Scotland or Ireland. There may be 8 or 10 "big name" courses in England where access is a challenge, but for the other 99% of the courses it should not be a problem at all.

For links golf, the stretch of coastline from Liverpool to Lytham St. Anne's could offer the best collection of quality/quantity links golf in the world. Driving 60-90 minutes inland from there provides some quality parkland golf in the Manchester area.

DT
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 07:27:24 PM by David_Tepper »

Charles Lund

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 09:32:31 AM »
Thanks.  I will keep that in mind if I am going to spend some time in that area.  I did a few trips to London and emailed a number of the well regarded links courses and just didn't get the kind of encouraging feedback I have gotten with inquiries for links golf in Ireland and Scotland. 

Haven't spent much time in Scandinavian countries so was thinking about spending time around Copenhagen and going into the nearby Sweden area where Fasterbo is located.  Sent Fasterbo an email and am waiting to hear back. 

If I can self book a round or two in that area I will spend about five days in area on way over or back.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 09:38:04 AM »
Falsterbo is lovely and well worth anyone seeing. Nearby you have Ljunghusens and the two courses at PGA Sweden. Beautiful area. May could be a little early though.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 09:59:48 AM »
Charles,

Falsterbo is a wonderful golf course and the people there are terrific.

If you're planning to stay overnight, I highly recommend the nearby Hotel Gasslingen.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 10:11:02 AM »
Charles:
I haven't played in the south of Sweden, but unless we have a horrific winter, the southern courses should be in good condition late May, early June. I'd go along with Adam's recommendations;  Falsterbo is a must if you're coming to Sweden.
In Stockholm most courses generally open during the first half of May, although for the last two years, our course has opened before the end of March, thanks to some mild winters recently. Stockholm is a nice city, but you don't really come here for the golf.
There are some courses a little further afield, such as Sand, Hills, Bro Hof, Vidbynäs and Ullna, but I guess you'd only play these courses if you were in the area.

Charles Lund

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 11:05:28 PM »
Donal,

Thanks very much.  Looks like you have a non-Scandinavian name is a Scandinavian country. 

Like my initial inquiry indicated, I have been to Ireland on many occasions and am partial to the smaller town links courses up in County Donegal.  I have done numerous trips to that area and have done various side trips to other destinations as part of the trip. 

I got the idea of going to Sweden due to the fact that there are a number of international members from Sweden at a club I play at in County Donegal.  I have also played golf with Swedish golf travelers while in Spain and Portugal and in Thailand last winter.  I enjoyed my time with them and thought it would be interesting to explore the "craic" in Sweden as a well as seeing some good golf courses. 

Copenhagen seems like an interesting city to spend a bit of time in and I think it affords easy access to the Malmo area.  I also would plan a visit to Lund, a city with the same name as mine. 

Thanks for your helpful comments.

Charles

Martin Lehmann

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 06:30:02 AM »
I have a sister who lives in the south of Sweden. In fact, she has Vasatorp Golf Club almost in her backyard. They have two nice courses there. The Tournament Course is very good and was used this summer for an event of the European Ladies Tour. Other courses in the south of Sweden worthwhile paying a vist are Barsebäck and Elisefarm. And of course Falsterbo which is truly splendid.

Chris Haspell

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 08:34:50 AM »
Charles , I Lived in DK for 11 years if you fly to Copenhagen here is my list depending how many days you have
 Sweden - Falsterbo , Lynghusen, Barseback, PGA Malmo 36, Vasatorps 36, , A little further North you have many more
Denmark Copenhagen- Royal Copenhagen (dyrehave) Rungsted, The Scandinavian 27, north- Helsingor and Gilleleje , south- Koge , Vallo, Greve,

Lots of good food to be had and many nice hotels

Hope this helps

Mike Policano

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 11:15:44 AM »
Charles,

Chris nailed it for a short Sweden trip. Stay at PGA Sweden. The accommodations at PGA Sweden are brand new and the food is excellent. In addition all of the courses listed by Chris are within an hour's drive.

Charles Lund

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 04:41:50 PM »
It's looking like a great destination.  I will probably spend more time than I was initially thinking about. 

I've sent out a few emails and made a couple of phone inquiries to make sure my time would not overlap with a large event or something of that nature.  People on phone and email have been very helpful.

Think having the surname Lund helps in that part of the world.

Chuck

OChatriot

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 11:10:18 AM »
Hi Charles,

I am a member of Ljunghusen Golf Klubb, and my in-laws are members at Falsterbo (and LJGK).
 Been going there on holidays, where I play everyday, for 20 years...
The area is just fantastic, the tradition, the beauty of the villages and the nature. Big skies, heather, wild animals, stunning beaches, seaside golf, best food in golf clubs I know...and terrific traditional old-style Golf.
No fuss there, very relaxed, no slow play. Terrific conditions. Late May is perfectly fine, june is better. The weather is very mild there, oceanic, and the days are long.
In terms of traffic, access, and value, I do not believe there is a better spot in Europe...and I live in London, play in Surrey,  and my home club is St Cloud in Paris, a great Colt from 1913.

Do not believe Falsterbo is the only one you need to play. They are very good at marketing, the oldest around (1909) etc...But the reality is FGK and LJGK (1932) vie for the best course around and have swapped places in the top 5 Swedish rankings several times. So you must play both. Both stunning places. The old nine at LJGK is also worth playing. Some lovely holes, including one that was named "best par 3 in Sweden" a few times. Sometimes you are just teeing off 2m from the beach.
The modern clubhouse is very good with it's massive views towards the sea and the heathland.
FGK has the most charming clubhouse full of history etc...so nice.

Next to FGK lies Flommen Golf Klubb. Shorter, links style too but with much more water, it was long considered by the elegant FGK society to be the club for caddies!! Forget that in our modern times, it's a charming, serious test of golf behind the beach dunes, and the colourful beach huts. Landscape and views are again superb. Great terrace. 16 holes with water, and a lot of wind as on all the courses around, so take some balls with you. I recommend a visit.

Then you should play Barseback Golf Klubb, because it's just brilliant too. Several Scandinavian Opens were played there. It lies north of Malmo, but close to Lund which is convenient for you. The drive there from FGK is probably no more than an hour.(by the way Copenhagen airport to all these places is a very easy drive via the bridge over the sea. 35 mins to Falsterbo for example)

If you want the latest taste of championship golf in Sweden, then go and play the PGA. But I would consider it a bit sad to visit the area to play on an artificial inland links style. OK it's excellent, hosts the Scandinavian at the moment, but...there are dozens of resorts like this everywhere. I think it's a Kyle Phillips design.

But there are other nice places to go around Malmo, and if you have time, push north past Barseback, and play in Torekov. Lovely old place as well. Visit the quaint harbour, and Arild and Molle if you have time(no for golf but incredibly charming)

Do not forget to walk around Falsterbo and Skanor villages, and Skanor's harbour, all 5 mins from the courses.
To stay, someone mentioned Gasslingen and that's where I stayed in June for a golf weekend with British friends. They loved it. Food was sensational. The hotel has 2 or three sister hotels just a stone throw away. You can find them on their website and they are all equally good. You can also take your meals only and rent a house. For example some friends have rent this one next to us and it is really good. husiljunghusen.com   80m from the fairway at LJGK, 200m from the beach and the Ljunghusen clubhouse. The food there has been named as the best Golfclub food in Sweden (there are 450 clubs I think)

The golf courses are generally in excellent conditions, with deep, contoured, fast greens. Flommens tend to be raised which adds to difficulty. Playing from the backtees is generally a huge challenge, with some tees lost in an ocean of heather and gorse 60yards back,  wehereas playing from the yellow tees is very civilised. Variety is good, with short and long par 4s. Very traditional design.
I suggest you go on the websites of the clubs. Go to bana (course) and bilder (pictures).
Do stay and visit Copenhagen and Lund if you can.

I hope you choose to go to Sweden, it's a great hidden gem experience for golfers.
Being called Lund will certainly help!!

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 06:41:53 PM »
I would somewhat disagree with the previous posting. Yes, go to Mölle, but FOR THE GOLF! You can miss the St Arild course, but not Mölle.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

OChatriot

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 06:24:24 AM »
Hej Ulrich

That's because I have never played in Molle..! I was just suggesting a little tourist tour.
I will now have a look at Mólle's golf website

Charles Lund

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 04:44:27 AM »
Thanks for the extended comments.

I ended up with some circumstances regarding airfares for golf in Ireland that require me to postpone trip to Sweden.  But I think in summer of 2017 I will fly Iceland Air from Seattle to Copenhagen and spend a week in the Malmo area and a night or two in Copenhagen.  The Malmo area sounds like it has several golf options with quality courses.

Charles

The Lund side of my family comes from Norway.  My maternal grandmother came from Sweden, not far from Malmo and just north of Lund.

Hi Charles,

I am a member of Ljunghusen Golf Klubb, and my in-laws are members at Falsterbo (and LJGK).
 Been going there on holidays, where I play everyday, for 20 years...
The area is just fantastic, the tradition, the beauty of the villages and the nature. Big skies, heather, wild animals, stunning beaches, seaside golf, best food in golf clubs I know...and terrific traditional old-style Golf.
No fuss there, very relaxed, no slow play. Terrific conditions. Late May is perfectly fine, june is better. The weather is very mild there, oceanic, and the days are long.
In terms of traffic, access, and value, I do not believe there is a better spot in Europe...and I live in London, play in Surrey,  and my home club is St Cloud in Paris, a great Colt from 1913.

Do not believe Falsterbo is the only one you need to play. They are very good at marketing, the oldest around (1909) etc...But the reality is FGK and LJGK (1932) vie for the best course around and have swapped places in the top 5 Swedish rankings several times. So you must play both. Both stunning places. The old nine at LJGK is also worth playing. Some lovely holes, including one that was named "best par 3 in Sweden" a few times. Sometimes you are just teeing off 2m from the beach.
The modern clubhouse is very good with it's massive views towards the sea and the heathland.
FGK has the most charming clubhouse full of history etc...so nice.

Next to FGK lies Flommen Golf Klubb. Shorter, links style too but with much more water, it was long considered by the elegant FGK society to be the club for caddies!! Forget that in our modern times, it's a charming, serious test of golf behind the beach dunes, and the colourful beach huts. Landscape and views are again superb. Great terrace. 16 holes with water, and a lot of wind as on all the courses around, so take some balls with you. I recommend a visit.

Then you should play Barseback Golf Klubb, because it's just brilliant too. Several Scandinavian Opens were played there. It lies north of Malmo, but close to Lund which is convenient for you. The drive there from FGK is probably no more than an hour.(by the way Copenhagen airport to all these places is a very easy drive via the bridge over the sea. 35 mins to Falsterbo for example)

If you want the latest taste of championship golf in Sweden, then go and play the PGA. But I would consider it a bit sad to visit the area to play on an artificial inland links style. OK it's excellent, hosts the Scandinavian at the moment, but...there are dozens of resorts like this everywhere. I think it's a Kyle Phillips design.

But there are other nice places to go around Malmo, and if you have time, push north past Barseback, and play in Torekov. Lovely old place as well. Visit the quaint harbour, and Arild and Molle if you have time(no for golf but incredibly charming)

Do not forget to walk around Falsterbo and Skanor villages, and Skanor's harbour, all 5 mins from the courses.
To stay, someone mentioned Gasslingen and that's where I stayed in June for a golf weekend with British friends. They loved it. Food was sensational. The hotel has 2 or three sister hotels just a stone throw away. You can find them on their website and they are all equally good. You can also take your meals only and rent a house. For example some friends have rent this one next to us and it is really good. husiljunghusen.com   80m from the fairway at LJGK, 200m from the beach and the Ljunghusen clubhouse. The food there has been named as the best Golfclub food in Sweden (there are 450 clubs I think)

The golf courses are generally in excellent conditions, with deep, contoured, fast greens. Flommens tend to be raised which adds to difficulty. Playing from the backtees is generally a huge challenge, with some tees lost in an ocean of heather and gorse 60yards back,  wehereas playing from the yellow tees is very civilised. Variety is good, with short and long par 4s. Very traditional design.
I suggest you go on the websites of the clubs. Go to bana (course) and bilder (pictures).
Do stay and visit Copenhagen and Lund if you can.

I hope you choose to go to Sweden, it's a great hidden gem experience for golfers.
Being called Lund will certainly help!!

Charles Lund

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2017, 02:30:05 PM »
In June I did a flight from Dublin to Copenhagen on my way back from Ireland and crossed over to Sweden.

I stayed a few nights at an Airbnb rental in Fasterbo, so I was able to play Fasterbo twice, Ljunghusen once which included all 27 holes,  and Flommens once.

I went up to Lund which worked for accessing Vasatorps where I played the Tournament Course and Barseback where I played The Masters Course.

I appreciated the feedback I got from those who wrote in response to my inquiry some time ago.  I hadn't been to Sweden before and golf on these courses was a good way to pass the time on some days.

I most enjoyed playing Fasterbo which borrowed from the links tradition for many holes, with the lower holes reminding me some of South Carolina courses with Swans instead of alligators.  I played Vasatorps wih two Danish people, a father and son, who were members. Some holes were routed through stands of deciduous and evergreen trees and some through more open land which was once pasture or farmland.  it had a lot of very good holes and I liked the elevation changes, generous fairways, and rock walls which provided framing for some holes.   Barseback has been reviewed in several places.  Fourteen holes were routed through a pine forest and I found the aesthetics very appealing.  Four holes along The Oresund were different in character and playing them in close to gale force winds made them a stretch that I only wanted to get through.  The pine forested holes were more sheltered and reduced the wind impsct to some degree.

Ljunghusen Golfklubb had two nines which were more heathland style and one nine that had some links style holes and some with water hazards as primary features.

Flommens had a lot of the course below sea level and it seemed like the proportion of water to fairway area too large and too many holes where water was the dominant feature.

So I appreciate the help and it ended up being something other than an academic exercise.

I did fly on an open jaw Icelandair ticket, with outbound from Seattle to Glasgow and return from Copenhagen to Seattle,  with three night layover in Reykjavik. I llew Ryanair from Glasgow to Dublin and from Dublin to Copenhagen. icelandair now flies from Reykjavik to Belfast.

The geology and culture of Iceland was so appealing that I skipped golf, although there was 24 hours of daylight in late June.  There are 64 or 68 courses in Iceland.  I was told there were more golf courses per capita there than anywhere else.

Charles

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back