News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Cavalier

Sand Valley Aerials
« on: June 24, 2017, 09:51:05 PM »
A few aerial shots of this beautiful place from a recent visit. Enjoy.

All images are ŠJon Cavalier 2017 and all rights are reserved. These images may not be copied, reposted, shared, altered or used in any way without permission.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Garland Bayley

Re: Sand Valley Aerials
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 09:54:42 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Jon!

Are you a professional photographer? I just thought you were a poster that was highly talented at photography. I never noticed you copyrighting before.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 10:04:21 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Jon!

Are you a professional photographer? I just thought you were a poster that was highly talented at photography. I never noticed you copyrighting before.

Thanks. Garland.

I'm not a professional photographer, and I usually don't watermark images that I post here (though I do on social media) -- I hate watermarking, as it is annoying to do and takes away from the photo. But recently I've noticed my images being taken and used (and, occasionally, even sold) more frequently without permission or credit, hence the watermarking and express assertion of the copyright, which makes it somewhat easier to counter that kind of thing.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 10:06:45 PM by Jon Cavalier »
Golf Photos via

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 10:15:30 PM »
I used a few of your pictures from Bandon to give an educational links golf talk to a scientist and engineers group I belong to. My understanding is that such use is allowed under copyright law. Over 90% of the pictures I used were my own.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 10:22:31 PM »
That is a use I would have no issue whatsoever with. In fact, I'm happy you could make use of them for that purpose. As many people on here know, I'm almost always happy to supply images free of charge for a variety of uses by writers, bloggers, clubs, members, architects, golf professionals, historians, etc. and have gladly done so many times.

I'm more concerned with people using the images for profit and without permission.
Golf Photos via

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 05:26:24 AM »
If you transposed these photos into a hazy version of black and white they would look not dissimilar to aerial photos of some of the courses south and west of London circa 1900-1930.
atb

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 10:07:11 AM »
Really nice. Makes you appreciate the work performed to remove the thousands of trees that littered the property.

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 11:41:28 AM »
Thanks for the pics Jon. The course looks great.

Does anyone know what the project's intentions are regarding the open areas of sand between the holes? Will they allow vegetation to naturally creep back in over time or will those areas be kept as they now look?

Also, how windy does it get there at times? Is there a risk of strong winds blowing sand from these open sandy areas on to the fairways? 

Ian Andrew

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 05:18:46 PM »

David,

It definitely does move.

They are very open right now.
I was there last week.

There is native grasses in the sand after clearing and turning over of material.
I think it's assumed they will see some limited regeneration.

I got the impression that they would like to see much of that sand remaining exposed.
That was my take away from conversations.

With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 05:38:21 PM »
Ian -

Thanks for answering my questions.

DT

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 03:00:21 PM »
David:

Having spent only one day there, I can only speak from my limited experience. But the wind was certainly blowing while I was there, and it was moving some sand. For the most part, the wind was perfect for golf -- enough to affect shots and keep things interesting but nothing crazy -- but it did get gusty at times, and when it did, you'd see billows of sand blowing across fairways and such. Walking around the property, you'd also see sand that had blown on to walkways, paved areas, etc.

My understanding about the open areas is the same as Ian's -- I think they plan to let native vegitation grow in some limited spots, but that for the most part, they hope and plan to keep the sandy areas exposed. And as you can see from the shots above, those areas are huge.

Jon Cavalier
Golf Photos via

Jim Nugent

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 06:37:21 PM »
Jon, any thoughts about the course?

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 10:15:35 PM »
Jon, any thoughts about the course?

Jim:

I only had one loop around Sand Valley and the six holes open at Mammoth Dunes, but I really liked what I saw. Sand Valley is a typically excellent Coore & Crenshaw design will all of the usual hallmarks: interesting greens, wide fairways, naturalistic bunkers and a nice balance of long/short/hard/easier holes.

There are a number of very fun, very memorable holes. The short par-4 opener, which is driveable (with some risk) in the right wind, is a lot of fun. The par-3 5th hole plays from an elevated tee to green that is huge but must be hitn. The 6th is an excellent par-4 with terrific fairway bunkers partially hidden from the tee and a wild front-to-back sloping green (you can see this green in the first aerial I posted above). The 9th is another reachable par-4 with a green so severe that quads are possible. The back nine is likewise really good, and the closing holes are excellent -- I especially liked the long par-3 17th, which plays to a punchbowl green.

Based on what I saw of Mammoth Dunes (I believe the 1, 2, 15, 16, 17 and 18 are the holes that are open), if the final 12 holes live up to the first 6, I'd expect it to be held in at least equal regard to Sand Valley. The first hole (left in the second aerial) has the widest fairway I think I've ever seen - play to the upper right and you get a clean look to an open green; play to the lower left and the approach is blind over huge bunkers. The green is equally as massive. The 16th is an excellent and very beautiful par-3. And the 18th is a lovely three shot par-5 that finishes at the base of the clubhouse.

Bottom line - it's the equal of Streamsong as a public golf destination. I'll certainly be returning to see the completed Mammoth Dunes and the Coore & Crenshaw par-3 course that is about to get underway. The site itself is so good that the potential is virtually unlimited. I'm very eager to see how it all turns out.
Golf Photos via

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back