News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Clubs which are driven by the annual member guest tourney
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2017, 11:28:09 AM »
I just played in a 4 day member guest that was $500 per man. They had a 4 day and night open bar....Think they made any money on me?

Eric Smith

« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2017, 11:38:59 AM »
I just played in a 4 day member guest that was $500 per man. They had a 4 day and night open bar....Think they made any money on me?

"They" is such a big word. By your willingness to partake those 4 days you greased the wheel of thousands of hard working Americans.

Hello, Indiana Road Paver!
Let me thank you for your time
You work a 40 hour week for a livin
Just to send it on down the line

Tim Martin

« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2017, 11:39:37 AM »

Sounds like it's time to reach out to ClubCorp.

Kevin Robinson

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2017, 11:39:25 AM »
I think a lot of guys are forgetting the social aspect of the Member-Guest event., and how the whole concept has evolved over the years. When I was coming up/just getting started in the golf business, the WWII generation was still around, most of them in their late 60's and early 70's -For that generation, the social life of their club was a big deal. It is where they ate many of their meals-out, where they invested in leisure activities, and where many of their social gatherings such as weddings and bar mitzvas occurred. More than being an opportunity to draw-in new members, it was the single most important social event on the club's calendar. It was an opportunity for the guys to play in an important event (and to FEEL important, as sometimes well over a hundred people would be watching the final playoff, cocktails in hand) and for the ladies to have an opportunity to dress up and feel special - It was a way for one to showcase his club and take a certain measure of pride in inviting someone who might go back to their own club and rave about the course or the hospitality.
I think using the member-guest as a marketing tool eventually became a necessity, especially now that the clubs that are managing to stay afloat are competing with the distractions of modern life.

Joe Sponcia

« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2017, 01:48:58 PM »

Mike's basic point is that clubs get their course to peak for a specific event that a lot of members might not play in, and if they do they have to pay extra for the privilege. In the UK the members guest events aren't nearly as big a deal as the US but we still have events that clubs tend to get their course to peak for. In the case of my club it is a couple of annual top amateur open events they have every year where 95% are non members.

How the members wish they could get that level of conditioning for the normal saturday fourball.

Niall

Id be interested to know which clubs have a Member/Guest or some sort of Invitational that includes guests, in where it isn't viewed as thee event of the year. Ive never worked at one. All clubs what to show off to their guests.

Tony

I was speaking from a Scottish/UK perspective and over here the member/guest events are far more modest one day affairs. Club championships and depending on the club, certain prestigious open events get the attention. However ask the ordinary members ie. non Committee members, and most of them would much rather have the course in peak condition for ordinary members comps.

I think that was the point MY was trying make but could be wrong.

Niall

Niall,
You are correct.  That is what I was getting at.

Mike,

Slightly different problem but same thought process with my old club hosting a Web.com event.  One week before, the week of (no member play), then the 2-3 weeks after, the course was battered from the greens be scalped/heavy play.  To me, it was never worth the money, but I was a party of one! 
Joe

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide".

- Mike Nuzzo

mike_beene

« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2017, 11:57:26 PM »
Try this one out: two member guests in a year because one wasn't enough, US Open sectional qualifying; Texas State Am from a Wednesday to Sunday; and this week the Byron Nelson Junior Monday to Thursday. We close mid week next month to let the course rest. The fairways were narrowed in several places for the Open qualifying and that seems to be permanent. I am all for sharing the course, but this is a little silly. The worst is the range closes totally for the two 3 day member guests. Much of my social life and fun occurs at the club so not easy to just quit. There are some frustrated members though.

Joe Sponcia

« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2017, 07:51:47 AM »
Mike,

Your post made me remember how bad our driving range used to get beat when big(ger) events came.  Under 22's love to beat the range into dirt. 

Shocking, now that I think about it, how many private clubs (mine now) allow college kids to do beat balls for nothing with pristine balls on great turf while the publics would charge them with beat up balls and no turf. 

Subsidizing.  Always.
Joe

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide".

- Mike Nuzzo

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back