News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

Re: It is just getting silly
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2017, 09:59:05 AM »
Thank you, Bob.
Yes, I think in golfing terms the world is indeed now my oyster -- but my guess is, only for about another year and a half! I'm like the 50 year old journeyman who just joined the champions tour...I got a tiny window to try to beat the great 60 year olds!

Ira Fishman

« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2017, 10:02:45 AM »
Thank you, Bob.
Yes, I think in golfing terms the world is indeed now my oyster -- but my guess is, only for about another year and a half! I'm like the 50 year old journeyman who just joined the champions tour...I got a tiny window to try to beat the great 60 year olds!

Peter,

I turn 60 in a few months.  Huge Congrats on breaking a milestone that I probably never will see again, even playing from the most forward tees.

Ira

Ira

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2017, 10:12:37 AM »
Thank you, Ira.
The only good thing about taking up the game later in life (though it doesn't really make up for the years of fun and improvement I missed) is that, for this small window at least, I'm still getting better...and my best scores might yet still be ahead of me.
On the other hand, I know that I will never experiencing playing the game as well as those of you who were once* excellent golfers.

* I say "once" but I'm always a little suspicious of guys like you and Tommy and AG and Bob who bemoan their diminishing skills. I have a feeling that those skills have not diminished as much as you guys claim!  :)

Peter

JJShanley

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2017, 12:28:37 PM »
Forward, middle and back ought to be enough, but too many managers, golf professionals and board members fall for the newest fad. Hybrid tees are all the rage for the craft beer swilling, beard tugging tee destroying post-millennial crowd.

Thanks. I feel better after venting.

What about forward and back tees, with a 1,000 yard separation, and a hybrid scorecard that sits in the middle in terms of yardage, rating, and slope?  Not all courses need it, for sure, but it might reduce maintenance costs at certain places that we'd like to see get more attention.  I think of Diamond Springs in Michigan as an example.  My home course doesn't need it.  My father's former home course in East Lothian, not a GCA favorite, would benefit from it.  I agree, however, that extreme personalization of courses makes no sense.  If a course has hybrid tees, it should be because the architect designed it that way, not because folk want to pick and choose to make it easier to score well.

Full disclosure: I enjoy a craft beer, but I also drink Hamm's, Miller Lite, and Yuengling (now that it has reached the Hoosier State.)  I'm a real American, except that I'm not.  I can't grow a beard, nor do I have a daft haircut.  I only wear plaid shirts at Christmas.  I do not own suspenders.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2017, 12:58:17 PM »
Seems to me that people in the biz, both on the design and ownership side are aggressively trying to differentiate themselves and thier product to drive business...just like every other business in every other niche on the planet.

So while I think its unnecessary, I at least understand the mindset of why it happens.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2017, 02:20:59 PM »
The ideal number of tees on a golf course might not be THE best example of a first world problem, but it'll do.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Joe Hancock

« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2017, 09:00:17 PM »
Hmmm...guess who's giving me strokes next time we play?

Congrats, friend. That is a very cool goal to achieve. Was little Ben with you by any chance? He would be encouraged by your excitement and enthusiasm, I'm sure!
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Steve Lang

« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2017, 09:23:14 PM »
 8)  continuing the P2 broke 80 thread jack, congrats man, now as a sage old marshall advised me many moons ago, go play from the forward tees until you can match par, then move back a set of tees until you can match par, rinse and repeat as able ... and you can always do the progressive just during a round, par move back, bogey stay, double move forward, see where you end up... and have fun, don't grind yer teeth over the silly game

I guess I should stop teeing it up 2 paces from the hole...
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2017, 09:34:40 PM »
Thank you, gents.
I'm sorry about the thread jack, and I would be embarrassed about the boasting - except that around here with this group breaking 80 isn't much of a boast!
A warning though: don't let Joe H fool you. When we first played together, it was clear to me by the 3rd hole -- clear because, while he is many things, Joe is *not* a good actor -- that he was bringing his game down to my level, i.e. playing way worse than he was capable of just so that I wouldn't feel too bad. He tried to cover it up by saying that he liked "having fun" and "trying different shots" -- but to this day it was the most nonchalant 80 I've ever seen.
Thanks again, it did feel good after many years of trying and tinkering and reinventing my swing (well, at least in my head while lying on the couch...who wants to actually practice!)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 09:37:31 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back