News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Will the design of the bunkers at Erin Hills start a revolution?
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2017, 02:35:37 AM »
Sean,

Both Pine Valley and Muirfield have trench bunkers and Oakmont and Garden City have similar features.

God save the trench bunker!!   ;D

Si

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Tom_Doak

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2017, 06:37:25 AM »
After watching all day yesterday, I thought Erin Hills acquitted itself very well, but I did not see the bunkers as being revolutionary.  There were a couple of difficult, cramped bunker shots off downhill lies, and even those, the pros pulled off with ease.  There were lots of holes where the short grass around the green seemed to be more of a hazard than the bunkers, last but not least the 18th.

The bunker sand is certainly different than the Tour players are used to seeing, with some gravelly bits in there; between that and the downhill lies, I saw several blast-and-run shots that I haven't seen on Tour for quite a while.  That's an adjustment that some players probably struggled with.  It was very interesting for play and for spectating, but the poor mechanic at Erin HIlls has got to be sick of it  :)

Dan Moore

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2017, 09:59:58 AM »
The edge maintenance of the bunkers has changed dramatically over the years. Originally many of the bunkers featured long fescue all around the bunkers. Also the grass edges have been made much cleaner over the years. A decision was made to keep the grass fairly short around the edges of most bunkers which allows balls to fall back into the sand. Long grass has been kept on the outside or rough side of some bunkers which seems a good compromise between playability and penal.
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Carl Rogers

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2017, 07:39:12 PM »
the greenside bunker at 14 should be removed.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Joe Bausch

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2017, 07:08:18 PM »
the greenside bunker at 14 should be removed.

Because, Carl?
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2017, 10:18:01 PM »
The edge maintenance of the bunkers has changed dramatically over the years. Originally many of the bunkers featured long fescue all around the bunkers. Also the grass edges have been made much cleaner over the years. A decision was made to keep the grass fairly short around the edges of most bunkers which allows balls to fall back into the sand. Long grass has been kept on the outside or rough side of some bunkers which seems a good compromise between playability and penal.

I see that as a good thing, I remember just missing greens at EH a few years ago and finding my ball buried in thick, gnarly fescue. Not a fan. The maintenance staff at Sand Valley has done a great job allowing the bunker edges to grow some seed heads but shots will still roll into the sand, or at least allow for a manageable recovery shot instead of a chop out. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back