News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

Millport GC, Isle of Cumbrae, Scotland
« on: April 20, 2017, 08:12:31 AM »
While looking at Google Maps to scope out Richard's post re golf near Glasgow Airport, I noticed Millport GC on the Isle of Cumbrae in the Clyde.

It looks quite cool. Anyone played it? Niall?

Millport GC
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Niall C

Re: Millport GC, Isle of Cumbrae, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 08:21:19 AM »
Adam

Yes I think so on a "works outing" (remember them ?) but more than half a lifetime ago. If I remember correctly the first 4 or 5 holes play straight up the hill and then the course sort of zig zags down the hill including a drop shot par 3 playing over a stand of mature trees. I recall that even as a fairly fit 20 year old that the first few holes were a bit of a climb. I also seem to recall it was fairly open and that the views from the top of the course were quite stunning. I also recall we nearly missed the last ferry on the way back with the bus driver frantically flashing his lights as we drove along the coast road in the hope that the captain of the ferry would see and would delay departure which thankfully he did.

Funny what you remember after 30 years.

Niall

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 11:47:52 AM »
Yep, I stopped by there last May on my way from Portpatrick to St Andrews.

The routing is pretty adventurous for the first few, tracking around a reservoir. The rumbling third drops over an angled crag:

Narrowing to parallel threes (the sixteen takes you back), then an uphill ascent, before opening out as it plays back and across an exposed hillside/moor. The golf becomes a little repetitive at this point, if not tactful with the wind and cross-slopes to deal with. Breaking from the cross, the twelfth drop down over a bank of heather to a shallow HELD-UP green, with spectacular views on a clear day:

A short five dips into a blind punchbowl, and then a drive over the top of a rocky escarpment gives way to a cool DOWNHILL four sat against the Firth of Clyde, and Isle of Bute. Seventeen has some nice movement too, before dropping back home over the low flat:

Sub-6000 yards, and a good break from the Ayrshire links. Worth a "5" on the Doak Scale in my book.

Niall C

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 01:01:10 PM »
so, not at all as I remembered it then  ;D. I wonder if I was thinking of another course or whether my memory of Millport GC just isn't that good.

Niall

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 03:00:16 PM »
I've played it a couple of times. Great scenery and a few interesting holes. But perhaps closer to a 3 rather than a 5 in my estimation.

Maybe I'm doing it an injustice.

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 09:48:57 AM »
I've played it a couple of times. Great scenery and a few interesting holes. But perhaps closer to a 3 rather than a 5 in my estimation.

Maybe I'm doing it an injustice.

The UK and Ireland, the land of rating deflation
Would trade 10 of those 3's for 100 of our 6's
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back