News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JHoulihan

Denver Colorado
« on: April 09, 2017, 05:57:05 PM »
I am very excited to be a first time participant in this years 5th major in Nebraska. On the way there I will be flying from Phoenix into and out of Denver. I am looking for advice from all, especially if playing in Nebraska and would like to join up before, or after, or both. I have written to many private clubs in the area, so hope to get access there if possible (play at Colorado GC has been approved). What is more in playing is sorting through many of the areas public courses. I have read though several older threads here and compiled a list of courses to sort through. Maybe sorting them into a must play if from out of town - play only if a local - and avoid all together groupings. Of course you can feel free to add your commenst to why one or more may be your personal favorites.

Maybe those like John Kavanaugh, Tom Ferrell, Doug Wright, Scott Sander, and Dave Herrick from past threads will chime in.

Here are the 16 candidates.
Commonground = 5.67/10 according to Confidentail Guide
Riverdale (Dunes) = 5/10
Plum Creek = 5/10
Arrowhead = 5/10
Keystone Ranch = 5/10
Bear Dance
Broadmoor (East)
Buffalo Run
Fossil Trace
Green valley Ranch
Meadow Hills
Murphy Creek
Red Hawk Ridge
Ridge at Castle Pines North
Walnut Creek Golf Preserve
Wellshire

Jason Topp

Re: Denver Colorado
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 06:58:21 PM »
I have not played many of these but Common Ground is worth your time.  I would also be interested in one of the Engh courses. 

Peter Le

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 07:10:57 PM »

Commonground is as close to a 'must' if you're in town and playing a public course. I wouldn't pass up Colorado Golf Club (host of the '19 mid-am). On the east side of town, close to the airport/DIA, is murphy creek. Great course and former host of the us pub-links. I would murphy over riverdale dunes and buffalo run. plum creek unfortunately has gone down in quality since becoming public. Bear dance is the better course south of denver (over red hawk ridge). Fossil trace is a good course and I prefer this over Arrowhead west of denver. Not sure how much time you'll have but the Broadmoor is a 1.5 drive from the airport, and I thought typically wanted resort play for resort guests.

Depending on the # of rounds you're looking to play in Denver, my recommendation would be Commonground (in town), Murphy Creek (east of denver/near airport), Bear Dance (south of denver), Fossil Trace (west of town)...of course CGC 1st since they've offered guest play. Any response to an inquiry to Ballyneal on your way to/from Mullen?
You'll love the 5th major if you haven't been before. I went in 2014 and it was incredibly special. ~Peter
[/size][size=78%]--if schedules match up, and you're looking for a course guide/someone to join your group, message me. [/size]

PL

Tim Leahy

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 11:11:01 PM »
Beardance has a real mountain feel with pine trees, changes in elevation and rock outcroppings. Fossil Trace is unique with some holes you will see nowhere else. Riverdale Dunes is Pete Dye template. Murphy Creek is very close to the airport, tough and fun.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Doug Wright

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 08:23:04 PM »
My thoughts. You decide which to play depending on how much time you have:

Commonground = 5.67/10 according to Confidentail Guide  One of the most interesting public courses around, variety and great greens; terrific value at about $40.
Riverdale (Dunes) = 5/10 A bit schizoid--part Young Tom Doak and part Perry Dye, water and railroad ties. If you can stomach the latter you'll enjoy the former. Pretty close to the airport.
Plum Creek = 5/10--Pass unless you're a masochist looking for the full Pete Dye treatment.
Arrowhead = 5/10--Very pretty but if you want prettiness without bad golf go to Red Rocks Park and take a hike.
Keystone Ranch = 5/10--Mountain course 90 minutes from Denver. There are better mountain courses, including...
Bear Dance  A closer-in version of a mountain course (about 45 minutes from downtown Denver). Pretty solid test and one I'd look at if a visitor looking for a mountain-type experience.
Broadmoor (East) One of my favorite courses in Colorado, classic combination of Ross and RTJ with devilish sloping greens. But I think you have to stay there (a pleasurable experience for sure) or play with a member.
Buffalo Run--Solid if unspectacular prairie course with housing that is inobtrusive. Underrated in my opinion. Very close to the airport.
Fossil Trace--If you haven't played a Jim Engh course, give this a try. It has all of the Engh quirkiness and some extras due to the quarry holes.
Green Valley Ranch-- A decent Perry Dye course, actually playable with a decent variety of holes. Home of the Colorado Open. A slight cut above Buffalo Run and I'd say comparable to Riverdale Dunes.  The closest course to the airport you'll find--15 minutes or so.
Meadow Hills--Basic public golf. Not worth your time.
Murphy Creek--For some reason I haven't played this course in a long time, but as I recall it is a solid track with a good routing and variety of short and long par 4s. I don't know if housing has impinged on it; certainly not a scenic course. In any case I'd play CommonGround before MC.
Red Hawk Ridge--A not as good Jim Engh. Pass.
Ridge at Castle Pines North--A decent back nine; the front nine, where housing has encroached, seems forced. Bear Dance is a better comparable IMO.
Walnut Creek Golf Preserve--I had to look this one up as it was fka Heritage at Westmoor. For an out of towner, this might be worth a try as it has nice mountain views on the back nine, and it is a solid track that has hosted several CGA and USGA qualifiers.
Wellshire--I love Wellshire for its Donald Ross bones that still exist on some of the holes and particularly the greens, despite some destruction at the hands of the City and County of Denver. Can't recommend it for a casual visitor, however, as there are better options as recited above.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back