News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sam Krume

Golf in the Lake District
« on: April 03, 2017, 08:25:59 AM »
I am visiting the Lakes next week. Will be playing Windermere and possibly Silloth. We also have Appleby on our radar. After looking on their site and google earth, it looks quite interesting. Has any one on hear played it?

Jonathan Davison

Re: Golf in the Lake District
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 09:19:53 AM »
Both Windermere and Appleby are quirky and short but really fun to play. I really enjoyed Seascale, it's not the best looking links but it has some cracking holes.
Further inland, Carlisle is a underrated Mackenzie Ross course and Brampton is a good Braid course.

Sam Krume

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 09:32:19 AM »
i also love seascale, if you took away the power station.......Carlisle has been mentioned as a course that we should play, possibly over Appleby

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 09:34:55 AM »
Penrith is also a nice, scenic course.

Sam Krume

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 03:14:34 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I think we might give Appleby a go. I like the look of the space it occupies, a bit bleak on some moorland

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 05:13:29 PM »

Sam,

Appleby is a very good choice and I am sure you will have a great time playing it.

Jon

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 06:06:38 PM »
Look's like you are already covered Sam, but growing up near Kendal I would go for Silloth, Seascale and Appleby as my favourite three in Cumbria.

If you are looking for something a little different, then Dunnerholme is a funky 10 hole links on the Furness Peninsula, and quite a nice drive if heading from Coniston way.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 03:09:52 AM »
Brampton is uneven but there's some really enjoyable stuff there.  In particular there's a very good short uphill par 4 followed by a long hole with a blind downhill drive which I really liked as a pairing.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 03:34:56 AM »
I believe that way out west are 3 yee old links courses of the 'traditional' kind often beloved of folks herein - Furness GC (1872) on Walney Island near Barrow (18), Dunnerholme (9) near Askham and Silecroft (9) near Millom. Might make an interesting day.
This area was pretty promperous back in the late 1800's-early 1900's with coal and steel and shipbuilding etc so I imagine that was the basis for the golf.
Atb

Tom Kelly

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 04:58:43 AM »
Skip the golf and go for a walk in Borrowdale or around Buttermere, preferably going up a hill in the process.

Sam Krume

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 05:46:38 AM »
I believe that way out west are 3 yee old links courses of the 'traditional' kind often beloved of folks herein - Furness GC (1872) on Walney Island near Barrow (18), Dunnerholme (9) near Askham and Silecroft (9) near Millom. Might make an interesting day.
This area was pretty promperous back in the late 1800's-early 1900's with coal and steel and shipbuilding etc so I imagine that was the basis for the golf.
Atb

Was looking at Furness (3rd oldest links in England?) but not to much love from what ive read regarding the course. Appleby is still coming out as a play

Jonathan Davison

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 05:58:01 AM »
Sam,
I played Furness earlier this year, it's ok. A few good holes but nothing wow. Appleby is a completely different experience and the Bell hole is great.

Sam Krume

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 07:39:27 AM »
Appleby looks like its ticking the boxes, as they say. Jonathan I had a look on their site again and the Bell Hole looks like its worth the trip on its own!!

Niall C

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 09:18:33 AM »
Sam

Carlisle is a much better course than Appleby IMO, and I'm a fan of Carlisle but I'd tend to go for Appleby on the grounds of playing conditions this time of year. Likewise with Brampton (challenging walk in parts), Penrith, Workington and Ulverston which are all worth a play but likely won’t be as good as Appleby at this time of year. If you’re travelling from the north down the M74 a game at Lochmaben might be worthwhile. The original 9 are by Braid and include a memorable short drop shot par 3, while the back nine aren’t too bad either.

Niall

Sam Krume

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2017, 12:30:59 PM »
Niall,
Alas a long travel up from Epsom, Surrey. Staying in the Lakes. As you mentioned I understand that Carlisle can get a bit wet underfoot, especially this time of year and I have also learnt today that Appleby had a 36 hole scratch match last weekend and its in great nick......so Appleby it is then.
If anyone is around and fancies a game, I am booking Appleby tomorrow for Monday 10th for 12.30. There is just the two of us at the moment so please feek free to join us.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back