News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Holes That Bend
« on: March 01, 2017, 09:56:16 AM »
Not doglegs, but rather holes that require precise execution combining distance and direction from the tee.    In my opinion, they are among the best as players of all levels are confronted with the same architectural challenge.   A couple that come to mind are the 7th at Pacific Dunes and the 11th at Deal (though arguably it is more angled than curving).  Others?

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Ira Fishman

Re: Holes That Bend
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 10:52:42 AM »
I might need drone photos to confirm  :) but both 7 and 10 at Primland seem to qualify.

John Connolly

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 11:18:13 AM »
My favorite kind of par 4 hole. More appealing than a hard dogleg because of its more subtle presentation. It has an elegance a dogleg doesn't have. And it's visually more interesting than a straight-away.
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Trey Kemp

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 12:33:37 PM »
The 5th hole at Colonial in Fort Worth is one that comes to mind.
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 01:17:53 PM »
Do you mean 'arc' or 'curve'?
atb

Mike Hendren

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 05:58:35 PM »
TD, correct.

TKemp, in the case of the 5th at Colonial, do the trees thwart the dynamic I'm referring to?

Mike   

JESII

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 06:20:41 PM »
Bogey - how about #7 at your beloved LuLu? Soon to be their closing hole I believe.

JMEvensky

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 08:07:27 PM »
Does #15 at Memphis CC fit your parameters?

Jim Nugent

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 10:19:16 PM »
16 at Olympic Lake?

Trey Kemp

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 09:45:19 AM »
Michael H - In my opinion they do, some tree removal would improve the dynamics of the hole.  It is still my favorite hole to watch during the tournament, Its always intresting to see what the guys do off the tee.
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 09:50:57 AM »
I think most classic links holes have a curve / bend / arc.

The defined dogleg became more prevalent when drawing centrelines with defined landing zones.

I know that at least 8 of the par 4's on my home course are gentle bends.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 10:18:11 AM »
Not doglegs, but rather holes that require precise execution combining distance and direction from the tee.    In my opinion, they are among the best as players of all levels are confronted with the same architectural challenge.   A couple that come to mind are the 7th at Pacific Dunes and the 11th at Deal (though arguably it is more angled than curving).  Others?

Mike

Delighted to see that Deal made a good impression on you Bogey.  Hope you are well.

(I think you mean the 10th which arcs towards the sea. The 11th returns but more obviously doglegs around a bunker?)
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 12:09:05 PM »
Spangles (if I may), notwithstanding my occasional dig at the Deal apologists the course is among a handful that I have grown more fond of over time despite only one go round.  Ballyneal is another that comes to mind.  You are correct - the 10th is a more sweeping arc, but I cited the 11th, which to my memory is more of an angled straightish fairway.  Visually however the 11th appears to sweep left from the tee and it is much easier to drive the ball through the fairway there, perhaps due in part to the psychological impact of the gaping fairway bunker. 

Do you find it more difficult to commit to a line from the 11th tee than from the 10th?

Cheers,

Mike

Carl Rogers

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 12:39:55 PM »
Does number 12 at Mid Pines fit this description?   IMO it is more of a dogleg than a bend.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 11:39:25 AM by Carl Rogers »
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 12:50:28 PM »

Mike

Delighted to see that Deal made a good impression on you Bogey.  Hope you are well.

(I think you mean the 10th which arcs towards the sea. The 11th returns but more obviously doglegs around a bunker?)

Spangles

I reckon the total bend of 10 and 11 is pretty similar...if anything I would guess 10 bends more than 11 if we aren't on the sea wall. The bends for each hole come at opposite ends.  For 10 it really bends at the green, but at 11 it is the tee shot. I wouldn't call either an out n' out dogleg.  In fact, only 6 would I call a legger.

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 01:27:37 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Michael Felton

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2017, 01:17:59 PM »
11's bend is definitely much more defined by the bunker on the inside corner. 10 the bend is different. Your ideal line varies depending on the wind and the club you're hitting on 10. I don't think that's really true on 11 unless you can clear the bunker with certainty (or as near as possible to).

What of the 16th on WHO? I always feel like that bends rather than doglegs.

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2017, 01:30:59 PM »
11's bend is definitely much more defined by the bunker on the inside corner. 10 the bend is different. Your ideal line varies depending on the wind and the club you're hitting on 10. I don't think that's really true on 11 unless you can clear the bunker with certainty (or as near as possible to).

I agree, the tee shot on the 11th is more defined than the 10th, but I don't think the hole actually bends more than 10.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2017, 02:10:55 PM »
Our Paul Cowley had a whole thread once devoted to the "S" curve. He loves the "S" curve -- the golf hole that technology cannot master/defeat!

Michael Felton

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2017, 02:11:15 PM »

I agree, the tee shot on the 11th is more defined than the 10th, but I don't think the hole actually bends more than 10.

Ciao

For sure. 10's green is virtually at right angles to the tee. 11 is a less pronounced bend I think, but it feels more like a dogleg.

Tim Gallant

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2017, 02:59:22 PM »
The one that came to mind for me was the 12th at Swinley Forest. The tees are offset to a hole that bends from left to right. The green and the movement in the approach to the green are phenomenal.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2017, 01:52:06 PM »
Spangles (if I may), notwithstanding my occasional dig at the Deal apologists the course is among a handful that I have grown more fond of over time despite only one go round.  Ballyneal is another that comes to mind.  You are correct - the 10th is a more sweeping arc, but I cited the 11th, which to my memory is more of an angled straightish fairway.  Visually however the 11th appears to sweep left from the tee and it is much easier to drive the ball through the fairway there, perhaps due in part to the psychological impact of the gaping fairway bunker. 

Do you find it more difficult to commit to a line from the 11th tee than from the 10th?

Cheers,

Mike

Bogey, I've played Deal several times.  For whatever reason I had a terrible time with the 10th hole tee shot, consistently following the line of instinct into the left gunch, where a tee ball way out to the right would have left a much easier second.

On 11 I thought it was much more straightforward.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back