News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Mungo Park New
« on: February 08, 2017, 03:45:25 PM »

http://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/feature-interview-with-mungo-park/

Mungo Park and I have corresponded for years and this interview is long overdue - mea culpa!  On the upside, he notes that some of the material contained in this Interview has been recently discovered and appears for the first time here. A superior writer, Mungo goes into great detail with his answers. He enticingly warns that he could 'bore for Britain on this stuff' :D  – and we all win!

We start Mungo’s family story some 200 years ago when a long game was enjoyed by gentry and a short game by the rest. James, the Park patriarch was a man of the land, a ploughman, whom one imagines displayed 'quiet fortitude' through good seasons and bad. His clan certainly learned resolve from somewhere. How else can you explain that not just one but many family members had the gumption to intrepidly sail to distant lands with strange cultures? Golf ultimately became the family business. They excelled as players (three  won seven Opens, including Mungo's great-great uncle in 1874 at - where-else -Musselburgh), club and ball makers (employing 80 people at one time), course designers and professional instructors. They were ambassadors of the game from Argentina to Quebec, Texas to Europe and throughout the UK. What a family odyssey. I doubt the expression 'been there, done that' existed in Musselburgh ~120 years ago or it would be part of the Park family crest!

In golf architecture circles, Willie Jr.'s star shines the brightest, so much so that his two Open wins are overshadowed by his designs. Courses associated with him - Sunningdale (Old), Notts GC (Hollinwell), Huntercombe, Maidstone, Olympia Fields, Silloth-on-Solway, Mt. Bruno - are beacons of intelligent design in their far flung regions. He fashioned courses of distinction from every medium - sand, loam and clay - from shoreline to heathland to parkland.

Nearly as much as I like playing old courses, I enjoy old writings. In A History of Golf in Britain, Sir Guy Campbell states that Sunningdale (Old) and Huntercombe are 'two courses of quality and continuing charm that they may be said to mark the springboard of modern practice.' He goes on to call Willie Jr. 'the doyen of golf architects, as the term is understood today.' No argument - I have never read a harsh word about Park Jr, anywhere  – he was a professional in every sense. Mungo describes him as 'charismatic' and he was famous for his tireless work ethic. It is no wonder he was in such high demand on both sides of the pond. While Park’s initial courses were built in the gutta percha era, the preponderance of his designs came when the rubber core ball held sway. My only tinge of regret is that his two books are 'architecture light.' I wish he’d been more like Simpson or MacKenzie and committed more of his thoughts on architecture to paper.

The fourth green at Musselburgh and Mrs. Forman's.

Musselburgh held six Opens before giving way to Muirfield in 1892 as the host site in East Lothian. The Park name was synonymous with that golf mecca (a Park won the first and the last Open held there - Mungo 1874 and Willie Jr 1889) and remains involved to this day. In fact, Mungo was recently part of a gallant struggle to prevent Mrs. Forman's pub (the structure behind the 4th green that once served liquid refreshment to Open contestants) from being eliminated. A compromise of sorts has been reached, but it feels like a bit of Musselburgh history is being eroded. Undaunted, Mungo is on to his next task to assemble an exhibition in Musselburgh for the 2018 Open at Carnoustie. The purpose is to help enlighten as many as are interested as to the vital role that Musselburgh and its many club makers played in the origins of the game. I hope we can support his efforts. After all, if not us, who?

This Interview is a wonderful walk through history with an extremely amiable - and knowledgeable - companion. Hope you enjoy.

Best,
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 06:28:01 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Jon Wiggett

Re: Feature Interview with Mungo Park
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 03:52:09 AM »
Really interesting read Ran, thanks.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 05:27:24 AM »
Interesting. Thanks Ran and Mungo.
Could someone elaborate on the differences between the gentlemans 'long game' and the 'short game' played by others?
Atb

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 08:52:06 AM »
This piece epitomizes the difference between someone who plays at a golfing educaton, and one who lives it, breathes it, excretes it and wears it, day in and day out. I thought at first it was a joke, that Rannulph had exhumed the original Mungo Park and was taking us on a historical journey. While the former is false, the later is delightfully true.

Seeing the world is the lifeblood of many. Humbly allowing that others have greater experience and insight is completeness. I'll be back to read M Park's words repeatedly; I cannot envision a finer interview for 2017.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

MClutterbuck

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 02:37:18 PM »

Thank you Ran for a fantastic interview that touches on my own personal life and golf in Buenos Aires, with Mungo's grandfather designing the course I grew up playing and surely passing on traditions that have been kept until today.

I'd like to share the photo and video below, not sure if Mr. Park participates in this forum. I believe he might have seen or even owns the photo, but the video might be interesting to him. Sorry about the Spanish.

Mungo Park circa 1907 with the San Andres Golf Club staff

Video published last week for the 110th anniversary of the club.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/video-golf/optimized/25463-720.mp4

BCowan

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 12:23:43 PM »
These pieces highlight why GCA.com is the best.  I have been fortunate to have many exchanges with Mungo and he has been nothing but a gentlemen.  His commitment to preserving golf history is inspiring.  I hope he has time to tour many US WPJ courses to come.  Was a little disappointment that Battle Creek (MI) and Berkshire (PA) were not mentioned  :D   

Mungo Park

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 01:02:34 PM »
Thanks for the generous comments; I am glad the interview triggered some interest (and sorry about Battle Creek and Berkshire, but then there are others left out too . . . you can please some of the people some of the time, but  . . . . !
It is fascinating to hear from M Clutterbuck, whose family name I am sure that I have seen in a copy of the old Open Championship of the River Plate Minute Book, now safely back with the AAG, but available, I believe for research. It gives all sorts of information about the earliest golfers in Argentina, and I have yet to give my copy the research time it deserves. Thanks too for the video - I must polish up my halting Spanish before I visit again. I was at San Andres in 2007, and yes, some of the photos on it are from our family collection, sent to Velio Spano, who was most generous and hospitable. The one on the bench below shows Alex Philp (a fellow pro' - far left, standing), my grandfather (left seated) and a 'gentleman' member to the right (whose name I am sure I have known, but eludes me now). The others are caddies I believe. Possibly (speculation only) one of them is José Jurado, who started golf at San Andrés, not the R & A in St Andrews as mentioned in Wikipedia. He was taught the game by my grandfather and made an impact on the world stage in the 20's and 30's, losing the Open by one shot to Tommy Armour, ahead of Percy Alliss, Gene Sarezen, Johnny Farrell, Henry Cotton et al. There is so much interesting work to do on Argentine golf in the early 20th century.
Thanks again Ran, for the invitation.
Regards

Mungo

James Boon

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 03:39:18 PM »
Ran and Mungo,

Many thanks for the article. Wonderful stuff!

Mungo, I'm afraid Notts (Hollinwell) isnt in the same league as Huntercombe and Sunningdale... Its better!  ;D  Please take this as an open invitation for a game at Hollinwell when you find yourself this way.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 04:16:03 PM »
Mungo was kind enough to contribute an essay on Willie Park Jr. for Olympia Fields Country Club's centennial book, "Golf Under the Clock Tower." It is a highlight of the book. Mungo, thanks again!
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

MClutterbuck

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 03:32:31 PM »

It is fascinating to hear from M Clutterbuck, whose family name I am sure that I have seen in a copy of the old Open Championship of the River Plate Minute Book, now safely back with the AAG, but available, I believe for research. It gives all sorts of information about the earliest golfers in Argentina, and I have yet to give my copy the research time it deserves. Thanks too for the video - I must polish up my halting Spanish before I visit again. I was at San Andres in 2007, and yes, some of the photos on it are from our family collection, sent to Velio Spano, who was most generous and hospitable. The one on the bench below shows Alex Philp (a fellow pro' - far left, standing), my grandfather (left seated) and a 'gentleman' member to the right (whose name I am sure I have known, but eludes me now). The others are caddies I believe. Possibly (speculation only) one of them is José Jurado, who started golf at San Andrés, not the R & A in St Andrews as mentioned in Wikipedia. He was taught the game by my grandfather and made an impact on the world stage in the 20's and 30's, losing the Open by one shot to Tommy Armour, ahead of Percy Alliss, Gene Sarezen, Johnny Farrell, Henry Cotton et al. There is so much interesting work to do on Argentine golf in the early 20th century.

Mungo

Great to hear from you as well. Sorry that I missed your visit in 2007. I was not spending time at San Andres that year other than the 100 anniversary dinner. You might recall my family name more from San Andres as both my grandfather and father were long time Club Presidents there.

As you know, San Andres was formed by the British community in Buenos Aires, and they all invested in a company that held the land. As time passed, it turned out than more than 50% of shareholders had returned to Britain and lost all connection to the club, or died. San Andres was no longer able to carry out its affairs, with less than the amount of shareholders needed to pass major initiatives. My grandfather, together with 2 other members, traveled to Britain to buy the shares from these families and formed a trust to preserve the club.

Not sure you know that Velio Spano is now Executive Director of the Argentine Golf Association. He was the one that gave me the scanned copies of all these old pictures as well as a ton of early golf course pics, and it was him that references staff alongside your grandfather, but I believe you are right some of them are indeed caddies. I did not see José Jurado referenced but it might be him.

Thanks for spending time to do the interview. 

Doug Wright

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 01:02:20 PM »
Great interview Ran and Mungo. I remember my one and only visit to the Musselburgh Links as if it was yesterday--it was in 1990. Part of my journey that led me to GolfClubAtlas.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

MClutterbuck

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 04:30:14 PM »
Great interview Ran and Mungo. I remember my one and only visit to the Musselburgh Links as if it was yesterday--it was in 1990. Part of my journey that led me to GolfClubAtlas.

Should Musselburgh be a stop on a golf trip that includes Fife and East Lothian?

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 05:27:28 PM »

Should Musselburgh be a stop on a golf trip that includes Fife and East Lothian?

Only if the soul of golf 'courses' through your veins!

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 06:08:58 PM »
Do any know if the "Mary Inglis" mentioned in the exchange about the Park women, is related/associated with the early transplant pro, John Inglis (who reigned at Fairview CC for 50 years and raised the Turnesa brothers at his golfing knee)?

Great interview.

cheers
vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back