News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Re: Most Diffucult Closing Hole In Scotland?
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2017, 08:42:45 AM »
The par-4 18th at Golspie is a real challenge. I have rarely seen that green hit in two. 

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2017, 11:57:21 AM »
The par-4 18th at Golspie is a real challenge. I have rarely seen that green hit in two.
David,

We can't give Golspie EVERY award!  ;D
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

David McIntosh

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2017, 02:38:13 PM »
David,

We can't give Golspie EVERY award!  ;D

He has a point though!

Another tough finishing hole, reminds me a bit of the 18th on the Kings at Gleneagles with the ridge in the fairway but Golspie plays much harder.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2017, 03:02:15 PM »

He does indeed have a point. I had forgotten about it but that might be due to the fact that I had played it at least 10 times as a par 5 before I found out it was a par 4 so even now I still think of it as a 5.

Jon

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2017, 03:15:37 PM »

Michael,

when I played Dornoch last week the 18th was a drive and 3/4 wedge but it certainly is a different challenge with a mid iron in your hand. As for the hardest closing hole it is hard to see past Carnoustie though Moray Old or Loch Lomond are also good shouts.

Jon

I used the same combination at Crail, into the wind.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

David_Tepper

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2017, 06:18:43 PM »
"We can't give Golspie EVERY award!"  ;D

Mike -

This morning I brought 3 fellows to play Golspie. It was the first time there for each of them. Walking off the 18th green, one fellow, a very well traveled golfer and a past president of the Donald Ross Society, said "this is a better course than Brora."

I certainly wasn't going to argue with him. ;)

DT

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2017, 03:14:29 PM »
Better than Brora!  Hmmmmm......

Mark Pearce

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2017, 04:29:23 PM »

Michael,

when I played Dornoch last week the 18th was a drive and 3/4 wedge but it certainly is a different challenge with a mid iron in your hand. As for the hardest closing hole it is hard to see past Carnoustie though Moray Old or Loch Lomond are also good shouts.

Jon

I used the same combination at Crail, into the wind.
Certainly one of the harder par 3 finishers!
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2017, 10:46:20 AM »
What sets Troon Old and Carnoustie apart for me is the fact that the 18th is just one of a long stretch of brutal holes coming in.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2017, 10:51:49 AM »
What sets Troon Old and Carnoustie apart for me is the fact that the 18th is just one of a long stretch of brutal holes coming in.
Good point Mark. Indeed Carnoustie has a bunch of holes which would make very difficult closing holes.
I'd like to add the 18th at Royal Aberdeen to the list.
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back