News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bret Lawrence

Re: Conveyance Systems
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2016, 10:44:35 AM »
Mike,

In college I got to play Bel-Air CC in LA a handful of times.  It was about 20 years ago, but I still remember getting around the course was sometimes as interesting as playing it.  They have underground tunnels to get you from one canyon to another.  They also have an elevator that brings you up from the ninth green to the tenth tee or the 18th green back to the club house, or both ( I can't remember the specifics).  Finally, they have the beautiful swinging bridge stretching across the ravine carrying you from the tenth tee to the the tenth green.  I feel like all three were very effective, but if I could choose where I would rather be during a Southern California earthquake, I would take my chances on the swinging bridge every time!

Here is a picture from my 1990's scorecard I saved:

Bret

MCirba

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2016, 10:46:53 AM »
Pretty cool stuff folks.  Thanks!
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2016, 11:27:17 AM »
A result of a pretty severe routing glitch across marshy land, the Links at Lighthouse Sound in Ocean City, Maryland, boasts "the country's longest golf car bridge." Not sure that's a bragging point, but there you have it.

Dean DiBerardino

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2016, 12:03:36 PM »
There is a conveyance system at Allegheny Country Club to help the walking golfer ascend the path from the back of the third green up to the fourth tee. Just turn on the conveyor, grab the rope and walk up the hill with the assistance of the conveyor rope!

« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 12:09:33 PM by Dean DiBerardino »

BHoover

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2016, 12:05:52 PM »
Is there a course out there that uses a zip line to get to the next hole? That's what I'd like to see!

David_Tepper

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2016, 12:25:21 PM »
Bret Lawrence -

Thanks for the Bel-Air post and swinging bridge pic. That course could be the ultimate in conveyance systems.

It is also worth mentioning that the swinging bridge crosses over the 18th green, which sits in the canyon below it.

DT 

BCowan

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2016, 12:26:24 PM »
Is there a course out there that uses a zip line to get to the next hole? That's what I'd like to see!

A zip line off the 10th tee at Kirtland would be bad ass.  Sign a wavier at the shack, and off you go.  An advantage in having a caddie. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2016, 01:29:22 PM »
Why not just hire a kid to run a golf cart shuttle up and back.....way cheaper to implement in the short term  ;D

You'd need a big cart or multiple carts.  Even more if a club with caddies.

Assuming its just one hole with groups coming thru every 10 minutes why couldn't 1 kid on an oversized cart handle this?

Something like this..

David_Tepper

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2016, 01:45:56 PM »
Kalen -

That is the kind of cart they use at Mayacama to move golfers & caddies from a green up a steep hill to the next tee.

DT

Joe Bausch

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2016, 02:22:46 PM »
You did a pretty good job of carrying me on the back nine at Sandhill Crane this past summer.   ;)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Bill_McBride

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2016, 06:04:57 PM »
Jeez Cirba,

#14 at Rolling Green isn't even the best in the Philadelphia area.

The funicular tram at Manufacturers' has to take the cake. We, very briefly, discussed using one for Blue #1 at Streamsong.

The course where I learned to play, Indian Valley GC in Marin County, California, has a funicular from 13 green to 14 tee, thank god.  The hike straight up or along the winding service road were both grueling.  If the jackasses in the group ahead didn't close the door and send the thing back down, that could happen...

Dave Givnish

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2016, 04:36:43 PM »
Bret -

The tunnels at Bel-Air have an interesting story attached to them. My host told me that an early golf cart maker came to the club to trial the carts. The club wouldn't try or buy unless the carts fit. And, supposedly, that is why carts are the width they are today. Good story for which my only confirmation is that our cart barely fit through with the caddie crouched down behind the clubs.

Ed Homsey

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2016, 04:58:12 PM »
The Lookout Point CC lift that you take from the 18th to the top of the hill and clubhouse.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2016, 09:38:23 PM »

Coos CC (now Watson Ranch), which is one score and four miles from Bandon Dunes, used to have a powered towrope,
but it's been decades so I can't remember which hole, which is bad because it was only a nine-holer, Maybe from 6 to 7.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2016, 01:31:44 AM »
Not sure what you’re after, but am sure this contribution doesn’t matter.  Back when I was a cold war kid and people built bomb shelters in their basements and didn’t have golf carts, there was funicular railroad, a platform on a cable and rails, really, at the 9-hole country club where my family had a membership (Blue Lakes).  It ran folks up the hill from the 6th green to 7th tee.  My friends and I didn’t golf, but we wasted our youth exploring all of the wild areas around the course, so, of course, when we ended up at the base of hill where it was, we happily caught a lift.  We didn’t worry about safety.  If it broke, we’d just jump off, as we jumped on and off it many times because we could.  It’s long gone now.  Yet, every time I see where it was, I remember it fondly and vividly.  I have a vague memory of getting in trouble over it, but the details escape me now.  Hell, we got in trouble over everything.  The game began when somebody told us we couldn’t do something.  And outside of the maintained areas we were the Masters of the Universe.  Nobody could find us if we wanted to hide.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2016, 02:17:49 AM »
There is a conveyance system at Allegheny Country Club to help the walking golfer ascend the path from the back of the third green up to the fourth tee. Just turn on the conveyor, grab the rope and walk up the hill with the assistance of the conveyor rope!

Now THAT is what we need at Reddish Vale!    ;D

Matt Dawson

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2016, 06:05:18 AM »

Now THAT is what we need at Reddish Vale!    ;D

Personally I find having an enthusiastic cocker spaniel on a lead, who has just caught sight of a squirrel in the trees, will achieve roughly the same effect in a much more cost-effective way...
 ;D

He's much in demand as you ascend the path from the 18th green up to the clubhouse at my home course. In the absence of a squirrel, a well-done sausage from the halfway hut will inspire a similar burst of enthusiasm, at very reasonable rates

Bill_McBride

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2016, 05:43:18 PM »

LaCumbre in Santa Barbara has one of those to help the walking golfer from the 18th green to the clubhouse up a steep hill.  I also saw one alongside a steep fairway at Baguio in the Filipines. .

MCirba

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2016, 09:01:09 AM »
The conveyor rope thingamagig looks to be a low-cost option.   Is it really effective or is it a rope burn waiting to happen?    :-\
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Bill_McBride

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2016, 03:55:51 PM »
The conveyor rope thingamagig looks to be a low-cost option.   Is it really effective or is it a rope burn waiting to happen?    :-\

Ive been using the one in Santa Babara for over 50 years, it's a lifesaver.  Nary a rope burn to date.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2016, 04:11:29 PM »

Works great if you just grab on, but, trust me, you don't want to straddle it in a foolish attempt at riding...
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back