News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

J Sadowsky

Golf in/around Fort Wayne?
« on: June 01, 2012, 10:34:59 PM »
Going to Fort Wayne to see in-law family in July, and will have the first chance to hit some clubs since the fall.  Any recommendations? My father in law used to be a member of Pine Valley (Not That Pine Valley) but it will likely be all publics for me this time.  I'll be staying in Northeast.  Have a very young one so round will likely have to be a quick/early morning one, so nothing too far away - I may be able to sneak off to, say, Noble Hawk, once.

Andy Troeger

Re: Golf in/around Fort Wayne?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 09:19:44 AM »
Justin,
Fort Wayne is a bit of a wasteland for public golf, sadly. If your range extends as far as Kendallville, then Noble Hawk or Cobblestone (which I prefer of the two) are probably your best options. Its been a long time since I played it, but Brookwood over by the airport might be the best public in town, but I believe its usually busy. I really enjoyed Chestnut Hills the first time I saw it, but that was years ago too and it dropped significantly on repeat plays because every hole seems to be lined with OB/water. I can't really recommend it now. Not a big fan of Autumn Ridge or Cherry Hill, but I think they are closer and quite honestly none of the above are more than Doak 4's and that might be a bit generous outside of Cobblestone. 

If the option ever presents itself on the private side, Sycamore Hills and Fort Wayne Country Club are both very enjoyable.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 09:31:42 AM »
Andy speaks the truth.

I grew up in Ft. Wayne, there is very little good golf.  My high school played at Riverbend, on the NE side of town.  Doak 3 or so.

My in-law live in Cherry Hills, another Doak 3.

Pine Valley, the Ft. Wayne, version is slightly better than both of those Doak 3.5.

If you can venture a little bit further, Rock Hollow near Peru is worth a look (Doak 6

Good luck.

Bart

Tom MacWood

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 09:40:47 AM »
The club website doesn't acknowledge this, but in 1915 William Watson converted Fort Wayne to 18 holes. I'm not sure if he expanded the existing nine-hole course to eighteen or created a whole new 18.

Ken Fry

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 01:06:32 PM »
Justin,

After living in Ft. Wayne for a couple years, I would go out of my way to play Brookwood near the airport.  It was just a very fun, walkable, old style course.  Noble Hawk and Cobblestone are fine courses but quite frankly not very fun to walk.  I preferred Noble Hawk between the two.

Ken

Bart Bradley

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 06:56:09 PM »
My father -in-law, a Ft Wayne resident, is visiting this afternoon.  He says you might be interested in Glendarin Hills in Angola...perhaps 45 minutes from NE Ft. Wayne. 

Bart

Greg Tallman

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 07:31:18 PM »
The course at Tri-State University in Angola has some pretty cool holes. Zollner Golf Course is the name I believe. 

Andy Troeger

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 09:30:43 AM »
Zollner is a fun track if that's within your time-frame. Haven't played Glendarin Hills in that same area. If you want to be adventurous you could try Lake James up in Angola as well. Its pretty apparent that the two nines were built at different times with the front being the older holes, but its a love-it or hate-it proposition with LOTS of elevation changes and ups and downs. Zollner is hilly too, but you can walk either apparently since I've done it many times.

Chris Clouser

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 12:17:30 PM »
Justin,

For public offerings, the best option in the Ft. Wayne area is Glendarin Hills up in Angola.  The two courses in Kendallville are also pretty good.  Cobblestone is my preferred option of the two.  I would avoid Chestnut Hills, very boring, with only a few holes worthy of note in my mind.  Cherry Hills is ok as well.  If you have a chance perhaps Brookwood down by the airport is a pretty nice municipal course.  The original architect is unknown, but there are some that think Ross designed the layout as well as the nearby Donald Ross golf course, which only has nine hole designed by Ross.  Brookwood is better by far.  The other options of note are Lake James and Zollner. 

Carl Nichols

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 05:24:16 PM »
First off, sorry you're having to visit Fort Wayne.  ;D

Second, it's been a while, but my recollection is that Brookwood was my favorite of the publics -- nice walk, some interesting holes, but nothing spectacular.

Third, it wouldn't surprise me if you could get on one of the privates with a polite request.  My parents belonged to Orchard Ridge for a few years, and it seemed like the type of place that would accommodate requests.  (Again, nothing spectacular, but decent and well-conditioned.)

J Sadowsky

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 08:27:36 PM »
Thanks all!

Carl, my father in law used to be a member of Orchard Ridge (as well as FWCC), so maybe I'll ask about that.  However, he's director of parks and recreation so I think he'd push me to Foster Park (in fact, he'll probably want to play a round with me there at some point during the week anyway).

JJShanley

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 11:49:57 AM »
Justin,

For public offerings, the best option in the Ft. Wayne area is Glendarin Hills up in Angola. 

I played Glendarin yesterday with a group from South Bend.  I imagine that its location means it flies under the radar for Chicago, Indy, and Detroit golfers.  That said, I'd recommend it for anyone in the Fort Wayne area who doesn't mind taking a cart.

Coming from a largely flat property at Warren (my appreciation for which I've discussed elsewhere), I found the topography particularly challenging as I figured out my shot.  One such example was the 8th, where a fairway bunker looks like it could be on either the left or right side of the fairway from the tee.  I don't know whether the architect designed it as such, but it focused my mind over the shot.  He also did a great job situating greens backed by heavily treed areas in such a way that you thought your eyes were playing tricks on you as you figured out the distance. 

GH has several blind holes as well, which I recall enjoying.  There's a lot to be said for hitting over the crest of a hill, seeing two or more balls in the fairway, and wondering which belonged to you. 

Worth a stop if you find yourself driving from, say, Cleveland to Chicago with time for a round.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back