News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Hollerbach

Blind approach shots and alignment landmarks
« on: September 06, 2016, 08:43:08 PM »
On a totally blind approach shot, how critical is it to have some sort of natural landmark to direct the player towards the green?

Is there any effective way to build a skyline green that follows a blind approach?

Ben Hollerbach

Re: Blind approach shots and alignment landmarks
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 10:26:33 AM »
The Alps at Lookout Mountain is the only hole that I can think of where from the fairway the player is faced with a blind skyline style shot. This approach is greatly aided by an alignment pole, a green opening of nearly 30 yards, and only 1 green side bunker. Without the alignment pole the player can still use the basic orientation of the fairway cut lines to guide them towards the green.

But what if the green was built off angle to the fairway and heavily bunkered? Is there anyway to make a blind approach like this work, or would the majority of players be playing a chip/recovery shot for their 3rd?

Sean_A

Re: Blind approach shots and alignment landmarks
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 10:30:23 AM »
I think the more important aspect of blind shots is to offer plenty of space by virtually eliminating the prospect of a lost ball.  Bunkers are fine because the ball is found and golfers will learn the best line over time.  However, in my experience, the land for blind shots often offers clues as to where to go if not blatant land marks.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back