News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MCirba

Re: Kebo Valley or Mount Washington
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2016, 10:55:00 AM »
Thanks for all of the great information.   I may look at lodging at Kebo on my way north and then Mt. Washington on my drive back, but from the sounds of everyone's opinion, Kebo rocks and shouldn't be missed.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

J_ Crisham

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2016, 04:34:19 PM »
Mike- there is a Holiday Inn resort about 5 minutes from Kebo. My family stayed there- it was quite nice as Holiday Inns go. It was very resort. Right on the water with a few bars and restaurants. Pretty piece of property and reasonably priced.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2016, 05:53:17 PM »
This thread could go on and on but surprised no one has mentioned playing Cape Arundel in Kennebunkport...  Do set aside some time to explore the Maine coast and Acadia ...

Brad Tufts

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2016, 09:10:45 PM »
Yeah, if coming from the south, you will probably have to go by Kennebunkport...but it is probably 2-2.5 hours from Acadia National Park.  Another decent double to KV would be Penobscot Valley in Orono, about 80-90 minutes inland from ANP.  Penobby got a questionable but well-intended bunker renovation a few years ago, and Ross's spirit is very much alive with a collection of fun holes.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

MCirba

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2016, 04:00:37 PM »
I just wanted to thank everyone again for your help in planning this trip.   We just got back yesterday and your suggestions for lodging, golf, and activities were all really helpful.

As it turned out, we drove up to Kennebunkport and played Cape Arundel with its marvelous Walter Travis greens, ate a lobster and then drove to Bar Harbor where we stayed for 3 nights.   Kebo Valley was everything you all said and the other activities in town (i.e. bike riding in Acadia, lobster boat tour, etc.) kept everyone happy.

Then it was up to Cabot Links and Cape Breton Highlands for another 4 days of golf and sightseeing (Cabot Trail is stunning) and on our way back south we stayed in New Hampshire at a reasonably priced lodge and ended up playing Mount Washington before driving home the next morning.

A wonderful trip in all.   I'm hoping to provide some pic tours soon but work and reality calls.

Thanks again!!

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2016, 09:01:27 PM »
Lots of great stuff on here...just depends whether you want charming towns and just mountains (the tallest in New England) or charming towns and mountains and ocean.  I would probably choose the latter, although both courses mentioned are worth playing. 

I would say Kebo is a more interesting golf course, whereas Bretton Woods has been improved but still plays mostly over flattish land in the river valley...which takes on a bit of a heathland look at times, which may be the best change that was made!

I also concur with Mike Sweeney...Kebo is great, but Northeast Harbor is really fun too (but private in mid-summer).  Kebo Valley/Northeast v. Bretton Woods/Balsams would be an even closer contest, once the Balsams returns one of these decades...

Not close for  me I'd chose Balsams Panorama over Kebo Valley!

Will Lozier

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2016, 09:22:02 PM »
Not close for  me I'd chose Balsams Panorama over Kebo Valley!

Chris,

Funny, I was just looking at Balsams online and am still not sure it is open as we speak despite new ownership trying to make it work in a unique way.

While I've only played it twice and Kebo well over 30 times, I can't say I agree. I think Balsams was interesting with some really nice holes but find Kebo to be significantly superior on almost all levels. Would love to hear your reasons for preferring Balsams.

Cheers

MCirba

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2016, 09:51:42 AM »
I would enjoy hearing from Chris, as well.   I didn't see anything to indicate Balsams has re-opened, but I'd rate Kebo Valley a full 2 or maybe 3 points higher than Mt. Washington which had beautiful views but little original in the way of architecture or compelling golf.   Kebo on the other hand was a blast.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2016, 10:26:55 AM »
Despite their facebook page saying on April 14th that "its almost time for play" in relation to the golf course, I'm rather sure that it's still closed.  I did see that the renovation plans for the two main buildings were recently approved by the county, and after $18M of work they aim to re-open in late 2017, and the ski mountain again for the 17-18 season.

I think the main sticking point in the resort resurrection was a proposed new development and expansion to the ski area.  Not sure if that is progressing at this point.

Back to the golf discussion...while Mt. Washington is not terrible (or great really), even the ghost of the Balsams is/was a better golf course.  If/when it reopens (I played it once, in October 2003), I will go back for sure!
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back