News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Pearson

Hurstbourne Country Club in Louisville, KY?
« on: April 23, 2016, 01:40:51 PM »
I'm curious if anyone here has played Hurstbourne CC in Louisville, KY, since Keith Foster's redesign...

I love Foster's Texas courses (Cypresswood Tradition, The Quarry, The Bandit), and since I'll be in Louisville next week, I'd be interested to swing by Hurstbourne to check out his work.

Did Foster do the recent reno on Louisville CC as well?

I've not played either Hurstbourne or Louisville CC, but along with Big Spring and Valhalla, those seem to be the most highly-regarded courses on the Louisville side of the Ohio River.

Criss Titschinger

Re: Hurstbourne Country Club in Louisville, KY?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 01:25:34 PM »
Both Louisville CC and Hurstbourne CC renos were Keith Foster. Haven't had a chance to play them yet, but they're high on my list. Based on what I've heard, you have the pecking order of courses correct in the Louisville area. The public options are quite lacking for a city of its size, but there are a few good private courses.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 01:42:37 PM »
     You are correct about Foster doing work on both LCC and HCC. I played Hurtsbourne last summer. It's a nice track, and Foster did a good job. I would put it in the same class as Big Spring. Personally, I have Louisville CC ahead of either, but LCC certainly has some quirky holes. Valhalla, despite its many GCA detractors is a pretty solid course. Audabon CC ( a Langford course) is one that I do want to get a peak at sometime.  Idle Hour in Lexington and Olde Stone in a Bowling Green are good courses within 90 minutes as well. 

As an aside, Big Spring might be as loud a course as I've ever played from Bowman Field and I64 right next to it.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 01:26:05 PM »
I agree that Foster's work at Hurstbourne was good.  He added a lot of interest to a course built in the 60s.  Was always in good condition, but that seemed the priority. Decent parkland course.  Worth seeing if you're in town, but like the other Louisville courses, not worth a special trip.

Nigel,
Where did you get the info that Audubon was a Langford course?  I've always seen it attributed to Bendelow, and that's certainly what it looks like on the ground.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 07:34:25 PM »
I agree that Foster's work at Hurstbourne was good.  He added a lot of interest to a course built in the 60s.  Was always in good condition, but that seemed the priority. Decent parkland course.  Worth seeing if you're in town, but like the other Louisville courses, not worth a special trip.

Nigel,
Where did you get the info that Audubon was a Langford course?  I've always seen it attributed to Bendelow, and that's certainly what it looks like on the ground.

I guess from Cornish and Whiten. I will dig around some. I think the Bendelow attribution is certainly correct though. C&W also give Langford and Moreau a renovation credit for LCC too if I recall right. As I said earlier I haven't played Audabon CC. LCC has a picture of Walter Travis there and that is the extent of their knowledge of their own pedigree at least the day I was there.

Tom Allen

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 11:42:33 AM »
I played it in 2012 and really liked it the course.  It has several really good holes.

I'd say it is worth seeing if you are in the area.  I've played Valhalla, but not Louisville Country Club, so I can't compare it to Louisville Country Club.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 04:09:33 PM »
I had also heard the Langford attribution on Audubon before, but I can't remember where.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 12:52:04 PM »

I guess from Cornish and Whiten. I will dig around some. I think the Bendelow attribution is certainly correct though.

You're correct - C&W attribute Audubon to Langford and Moreau.  They also have another listing for Audubon as NLE, and that's credited to Bendelow. The course that's there now is far more likely Bendelow, and it seems strange that there would have been another Audubon CC in the same general era. 

Adam Warren

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 01:36:03 PM »
My understanding is some of the names of these courses around Louisville have moved with locations.  The current location of LCC is not the original.  I believe that is the same for a few others like Standard and Audubon. 

My recollection from conversations of these courses is that LCC is a Travis and Audubon is a Bendelow.  I've played Audubon but not LCC.  It seems like I heard somewhere that L&M was involved at some point on LCC, but the original design is attributed to Travis.  I don't believe I have heard the same for Audubon. 

As for Hurstbourne.  I have been on the course some time ago.  It would have been before the Foster reno.  I'd be very interested to see it now. I do know Foster did work at LCC, but did not know about the work at Hurstbourne.

I flipped my membership to Persimmon Ridge this year, so maybe I will try to swing out to a couple of these this year and provide updates.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 10:28:35 AM »
I believe Audabon is an original location. Both LCC and Standard once occupied the site of the now defunct River Run CC off Zorn avenue. Standard was formed after Louisville CC was established at the current site and they moved in 1952.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back