News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Graham

According to this report in The Guardian newspaper the CPC has changed their stance on "the sport for millionaires."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/14/golf-is-no-longer-a-decrees-chinas-communist-party

I wonder if this will have any bearing on golf projects that are in limbo/have been mothballed.

Marc Haring

Re: "Golf is no longer a crime, decrees China's Communist party"
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 05:00:23 AM »
Some of the architecture deployed was pretty criminal.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 07:59:32 AM »
"The golf course is gradually changing into a muddy field where they trade money for power" charged a state-run newspaper last year.That was part of the problem -- if they had learned from America they could've exchanged money for power in nice firm and fast conditions instead! No one wants to go into court with mud on their trousers...:)

Rick Emerson

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 08:07:32 AM »
As someone who loves golf and currently lives in China I hope this is true. However, I'll believe it when I see it. Do you think this has anything to do with Golf being an Olympic sport?

MCirba

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 09:05:48 AM »
I think it has more to do with the sputtering Chinese economy than anything else.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 09:43:09 AM »
No animal shall sleep in a bed - with sheets.

BCrosby

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 11:44:32 AM »
Relieved to hear golf is not a crime.

Bob

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 11:57:37 AM »
I've seen some sand-bagging GCA'ers who should be charged with a crime!!  ;D

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 07:40:41 PM »
Since the Mao years it has almost always been legal to play golf in China, certainly not a crime. There was a bit of a crackdown recently in that Government officials were not allowed to have golf memberships.  Sounds like that may have been lifted but I believe they were still allowed to play on their own time and dime.

So in reality they rolled back a ban on government officials that only lasted about a year.

Hardly news.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 07:50:05 PM »
There was a bit of a crackdown recently in that Government officials were not allowed to have golf memberships.  Sounds like that may have been lifted but I believe they were still allowed to play on their own time and dime.

So in reality they rolled back a ban on government officials that only lasted about a year.

Ryan:

I think the President had decided last year that Party officials were not allowed to play golf, period.  So, it's a bit of a thawing, for whatever reason.  But as we both know, thinking about why things are done a certain way in China is a fruitless exercise.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back